17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:53:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Extinction Rebellion Bristol: July 15, 2019 - July 19, 2019
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate protests in Bristol  (Read 35709 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2019, 14:23:48 »

Going back to the main reason for this thread. Just heard on the local news that Bristol Airport is a target for future protests. You have been warned.

Good, air travel is highly polluting and I have more sympathy with those disrupting air transport, than those disrupting buses, trains, and LUL (London Underground Ltd) services.
I wonder what will be done to disrupt Bristol airport.
Obvious tactics include xxxxx xxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx xxxx xxxxxx xx xxx xxxxxxx.
xxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxx x xxx xxxxxx xxx xxxxxxx (xxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxx xxx xxxx xxxx xx, xxx xx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxxxxx xxxx xx xxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxxx)
xxxx xx xxx "xxxxxx" xxx xxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxx xxx xxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx xx xxx.
xxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxx xxx xxxxxxx x xxxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxx xx xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx, xxxxx xxxxxx xx xxxx xx xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxx. xxxxxxx xxx xxx xxxx xxxxx xxxx xxx xxxxxxx xx xxx xxxx xxx.
xxxxxx x xxx xxxx xxxxx xxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxx. x xxxx xx xxx xx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xx xxxx xxx xxxx, xxx xxxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxx, xxxxx xxxxxx xxx xxxxx xxxxxxx.

Imagine the outrage of "nice" people xxxxx xxxxxxx xx xxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx xxxx xxxxxx.

Edit - I have "x''d out some of that - question raised in my mind as to whether the text would assist in law breaking.   Checking with fellow admins / mods for their views too - in quarantine at the moment
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 15:14:16 by grahame » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2019, 14:54:41 »

Going back to the main reason for this thread. Just heard on the local news that Bristol Airport is a target for future protests. You have been warned.

Good, air travel is highly polluting and I have more sympathy with those disrupting air transport, than those disrupting buses, trains, and LUL (London Underground Ltd) services.
I wonder what will be done to disrupt Bristol airport.
Obvious tactics include xxxxx xxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx xxxx xxxxxx xx xxx xxxxxxx.
xxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxx x xxx xxxxxx xxx xxxxxxx (xxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxx xxx xxxx xxxx xx, xxx xx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxxxxx xxxx xx xxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxxx)
xxxx xx xxx "xxxxxx" xxx xxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxx xxx xxxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx xx xxx.
xxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxx xxx xxxxxxx x xxxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxx xx xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx, xxxxx xxxxxx xx xxxx xx xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxx. xxxxxxx xxx xxx xxxx xxxxx xxxx xxx xxxxxxx xx xxx xxxx xxx.
xxxxxx x xxx xxxx xxxxx xxxx xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxx. x xxxx xx xxx xx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xx xxxx xxx xxxx, xxx xxxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxx, xxxxx xxxxxx xxx xxxxx xxxxxxx.

Imagine the outrage of "nice" people xxxxx xxxxxxx xx xxxxxxxx xxx xxxxx xxxx xxxxxx.

Notwithstanding a worthy cause , lives are already being endangered by preventing/delaying blue light emergency calls through blocking roads. Suggesting that you're sympathetic to compromising  the safety of aircraft by flying drones close to an airport is highly irresponsible. We can all (I hope?) protest legitimately about sincerely held beliefs & causes without putting lives at risk.

Edited to replace a quote by a quote with text redacted.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 15:13:52 by grahame » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2019, 14:58:40 »

What a totally irresponible post to make on this forum.  We shouldn't lower ourselves to making such suggestions public.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2019, 15:08:18 »

Isn't that disgraceful post incitement to break the law?  Surely that's against the Forum Rules?  But more to the point, as SandTEngineer says, a completely irresponsible thing to suggest.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2019, 15:16:47 »

My suggestions were not original, but were openly discussed by climate change protesters in a busy public house, and were overheard not just by members or supporters but also by many other customers.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2019, 15:22:37 »

My suggestions were not original, but were openly discussed by climate change protesters in a busy public house, and were overheard not just by members or supporters but also by many other customers.

They are, however, still suggestions which look very much like an incitement to break the law and while I get a check moderator / admin views on that I have redacted the parts that concern me.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2019, 15:25:15 »

But at least on a plane, there is a service of drinks and hot food...

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2019, 15:36:30 »

They are, however, still suggestions which look very much like an incitement to break the law and while I get a check moderator / admin views on that I have redacted the parts that concern me.

In view of the strong concerns expressed, you could simply delete the post in question.
If you decide to delete, then I respectfully urge deleting the replies since they would no longer make sense without the post to which they refer.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2019, 15:37:09 »

From Bristol Live - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/extinction-rebellion-protest-bristol-m32-3103399 - the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC (Police and Crime Commissioner)) Sue Mountstevens

"The police have worked really hard this summer. We have had some tremendous events including Glastonbury Festival, St Pauls Carnival, Pride Festival and this weekend is Bristol Harbourside Festival.

"All of these events need policing and there is no such thing as extra police. I am concerned about the pressure officers are under."

The PCC believes the activists' point has now "been made".

She said: "One or two days would have been appropriate. We are no longer proportionate.

The subject of this [demonstration / protest / rebellion] is a very "high stakes" one. And as such it raises considerable emotion and differing views.

I'm uneasy that the PCC appears to have the authority to [ state / decide / preach ] what is appropriate / what is proportionate.   She is perfectly entitled to her view, as am I, as are members here who feel that it's gone on too long and as are members here who feel that it's appropriate for protests to go on and points continue to be made until ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2019, 15:52:24 »

In view of the strong concerns expressed, you could simply delete the post in question.
If you decide to delete, then I respectfully urge deleting the replies since they would no longer make sense without the post to which they refer.

That was an option available to me  (and I suppose remains available once I get further admin / moderator feedback on underlying forum admin issues).  However, as an interim I chose not to destroy a thread in such a way that it could not be put back if I find myself in a minority.

Personally, I have huge sympathy with the cause and enormous respect for many concerned.  As with almost any cause, it has its fringes (which may be pretty strongly populated) which can at times do the cause more harm than good - I've come across a couple of those in other campaigning; those might be the people who go to extreme illegal and dangerous lengths, and they might be the people who preach "carbon neutral" and use the worst possible carbon wasting transport to get to the protest at which they stay just long enough to tell their pals they have been.  I also accept that there are those who's views differ from mine.

Now - where everyone can come together is to look for common cause in a sustainable, better quality future ... and to help channel the raw enthusiasm of so many people into working out what that means and doing it in a very effective way.  But make no mistake - we may only have a limited time to do this - its all very well for rail projects to slip into the next control period, but with issues that change our whole planet we may not have that luxury.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2019, 16:32:00 »

I personally agree that the status quo on energy use cannot be sustained for much longer, but the protesters outstayed their welcome, The impression I get from a look at social media is that the protesters may have lost a lot more sympathisers than they gained. Another thing I noticed is the volume of just plain wrong information being peddled on Twitter as science by people who can't spell but purport to know it all. And that's wrong without being an expert myself. There is of course a lot of correct information, some of it more than a little alarming, even without the customary hyperbole.
Anyway, it's raining today

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2019, 16:44:36 »

*It's important to be mindful that beer is so much more than just another breakfast drink.

Made from grains and flowers. It's practically muesli.
If beer is the "breakfast of champions" then muesli is the "beer of runners-up".

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2019, 08:07:01 »

Story being reported on radio Bristol that a man has called in to say he'd received a call to say his fathers health and taken a turn for the worse and he should get there as soon as he could
He got delayed in the long jams on the M4 / M32 into Bristol this morning because of these idiots chained to a bath
Arrived at the hospital a few minutes after his father passed away !!

Here's an account of it with the reactions of some of those responsible.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/extinction-rebellion-protester-fights-back-tears-as-she-hears-demonstration-stopped-man-from-a4193446.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3iFbFxiR1SiLzKGLrK4rGv6f4Shtf1hubJQs8FWsfoYWZvLkmLk8dJ_JI#Echobox=1563487377
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2019, 13:11:33 »

If beer is the "breakfast of champions" then muesli is the "beer of runners-up".

I know what the "Breakfast of Champions" is, and it isn't a drink. Or food, for that matter.  Grin

Now, please!
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2019, 22:47:33 »

Reported in today's Guardian, an alternative way of making the point about climate change.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/22/memorial-to-mark-icelandic-glacier-lost-to-climate-crisis#img-1

Perhaps something like this should be hung up on the wall of every decision-maker.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: