I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:37:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Extinction Rebellion Bristol: July 15, 2019 - July 19, 2019
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate protests in Bristol  (Read 35855 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2019, 22:53:09 »

Prejudice.

An honest answer, and not one that's easy to argue with.

The other day I stopped on my bicycle as close as I could get to one of the wind turbines of the Avonmouth Wind Farm. I was interested to see and hear for myself, because I too am prejudiced: wind turbines, particularly onshore ones, have always struck me as a good idea.

These turbines are largish at 126m to the tip, and between the four of them have a forecast annual output of just over 20GWh - peanuts compared with Hinkley C (which incidentally I will be visiting next week) but enough to power a few thousand homes.

So they're hard to miss, though in the context of Avonmouth you'd have to have an eccentric aesthetic sense to object to them. As to the noise: there was an intermittent stream of traffic on the road I was stopped by, and it was windy(!). The turbines were turning at a fair old clip, with the wind coming towards me and... there were times when I was almost confident that I could hear them; sort of like the sound of an airliner at cruise height maybe 10km away.

So there you are. I've tried to understand the objections, but I've failed.

In Avonmouth, carry on by all means. The constant drone from the M5 traffic has probably removed all sensitivity in the area. I must ask someone I know if it is ever quiet.

Being less glib than my earlier answer suggests, wind farms are the least green of the green kit, but with the most noise made to support them. It's partly this greenwashing that makes me less endeared to them, but mainly the the effect they have on other more pleasant places, to the detriment of the residents whose views are ultimately ignored. That, and the degree of self-interest by those who decide policy. I have found over the years that diesel isn't as clean as it was once thought to be, and that nothing is ever as good as it seems from a distance.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2019, 23:52:48 »

...wind farms are the least green of the green kit...

I am really, genuinely interested to understand this assertion - I am not beyond having my mind changed, despite my self-confessed prejudice.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 14, 2019, 19:17:01 »

I've messed with Co-operative Retail Services before, and come to regret it.

Never mind dealing with them from outside, the internal wrangles and problems of the cooperative movement have been byzantine - see -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Co-operative_Group for a summary, which does not go into the details of such chapters as the failure of the South Suburban Co-op. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2019, 13:34:30 »

XR (Crossrail) have blockaded road access to the Valero oil refinery, Pembroke dock.
It remains to be seen what effect this will have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cmjpj223708t/oil

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2019, 14:15:56 »

Effect on oil price would be negligible compared to the bombing of the Saudi refinery and shipment port, surely.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2019, 06:33:19 »

Wondering if the thread title ought to be changed, as we're entering autumn, and the protests look like going on for a few years (or more).
School and people protests today around the world as well as the UK (United Kingdom).

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2019, 09:49:09 »

Wondering if the thread title ought to be changed, as we're entering autumn, and the protests look like going on for a few years (or more).
School and people protests today around the world as well as the UK (United Kingdom).

I've changed the title of this thread to 'Climate protests in Bristol' - today's (20/9/19) protest, for example, is primarily linked with the school strike movement rather than XR (Crossrail). I have also changed the title of the London thread to Climate protests in London, for consistency.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2019, 17:11:28 »

I've moved the debate about the rights and wrongs of storing petrol here: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=22213.0

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2023, 07:33:25 »

HMG have recently released a statement advising people to stock up on candles, battery torches and radios etc.
The risks of supply disruptions are noted.
Does not specifically mention climate protestors or any other group.

We now have two wars in or near oil and gas producing regions.
Extreme weather events are increasingly severe and more frequent.
Foreign powers are reportedly increasing cyber attacks on energy and other infrastructure.

Society is becoming more vulnerable to blackouts.

Lack of telephone and internet service could have serious consequences.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/05/britons-should-stock-up-on-torches-and-candles-in-case-of-power-cuts-says-oliver-dowden#:~:text=People%20should%20stock%20up%20on,deputy%20prime%20minister%20reportedly%20said.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2023, 07:55:15 »

HMG have recently released a statement advising people to stock up on candles, battery torches and radios etc.

Yes, very sensible to have modest supplies of all of them.  As it is to minimise alcohol consumption, eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly, look after mental health etc.

Not sure why you chose to post it in a Bristol climate protest thread though?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2023, 08:42:56 »

Yes, very sensible to have modest supplies of all of them.  As it is to minimise alcohol consumption, eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly, look after mental health etc.

Any "Port" in a storm?  Wink
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2023, 11:26:53 »

I've charged the car up, just in case. We should be OK today, because it's windy. When it gets like last week, where we had practically no wind for 3 days, things could be a bit trickier, especially as we'll be burning a lot more gas to keep homes warm. Thankfully, we still have a bit of coal left for the few remaining power stations.

The perils of our energy policy over the past three decades are apparent. Let's hope we don't make more of the same mistakes, and especially don't build in reliance on other countries to the same extent.

If push comes to shove, I'll go back to bed until it's all over.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2023, 05:31:18 »

Despite the thread title, we had diverged somewhat onto more general climate protests. Any future large scale protests could result in fuel shortage, or other dislocation.
Therefore this thread seemed a proper place to quote the government advice.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2023, 10:31:05 »

Perhaps the three title can be changed then?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  

Jump to: