Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:44:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did Finn and I stop for lunch today, 18th July 2019?  (Read 5213 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2019, 16:25:42 »

Pub lunch near this location:

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 16:39:12 »

Limpley Stoke Valley area perchance?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 16:52:48 »

Limpley Stoke Valley area perchance?

I'd say warm. More specific?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 17:06:10 »

You're on the canal towpath. Maybe Dundas aqueduct, maybe a different one.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 17:07:40 »

You're on the canal towpath. Maybe Dundas aqueduct, maybe a different one.

We're getting warmer...

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 17:21:35 »

Avoncliffe aqueduct with lunch at the Cross Guns, which my gran used to keep a long time ago.
It is a pleasant walk from Bradford on Avon, we used occasionally wander all the way to Bath. The good thing about the K & A is that there are pubs every four miles!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 17:37:33 »

Very nice little tea shop and garden next to the aqueduct.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 18:17:56 »

Avoncliffe aqueduct with lunch at the Cross Guns, which my gran used to keep a long time ago.
It is a pleasant walk from Bradford on Avon, we used occasionally wander all the way to Bath. The good thing about the K & A is that there are pubs every four miles!

Correct. Well, there's a redundant 'e' in your answer. Avoncliff.

Lunch was indeed partaken in the Cross Guns. I drove down the lane to the pub. Losing my passenger side wing mirror in the process. A partially fallen woodeb fence post hidden by greenery took out the mirror.

But what a fantastic location to have lunch and leisurely shandy. I sat by the riverside, watching the trout in the shallows. With barges crossing the aquaduct and trains passing through Avoncliff Station across the river.

Another location I'd highly recommended. And whilst I drove there, I'd suggest taking the train and then doing the walk along the canal to Bradford-on-Avon.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 18:18:11 »

It's a nice garden but I wasn't that impressed by the cheese and stuff sandwich I had there last Sunday. Probably should have gone to the pub instead!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 18:41:53 »

This is an interesting read about Avoncliff

Avoncliff – The Secret History of an Industrial Hamlet in War and Peace, by Nick McCamley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 18:50:48 »

It's a nice garden but I wasn't that impressed by the cheese and stuff sandwich I had there last Sunday. Probably should have gone to the pub instead!
Oh dear. Sounds like standards may have slipped. Mind you it was more than two years ago since we last ate there.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 19:06:57 »

The K and A lends itself to railway linked walks. Train to Trowbridge, walk to Devizes, bus to Bath.
Train to Pewsey, walk to Devizes and bus to Bath.
Pewsey to Bedwyn is another
Nice level walking with plenty to see.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 19:53:42 »

There are certainly some very attractive parts of the K & A.  I do one day a week as a volunteer lock keeper at Seend.  Lovely location, 5 locks and a nice canal side pub.  Another nice pub a few hundred yards up the road into the village of Seend Cleeve.  Very busy at times. Not just boats but cyclists and walkers(dogs optional).

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 19:53:59 »

Quote from: bradshaw
The K and A lends itself to railway linked walks. Train to Trowbridge, walk to Devizes, bus to Bath.
Train to Pewsey, walk to Devizes and bus to Bath.
Pewsey to Bedwyn is another
Nice level walking with plenty to see.

Unfortunately I didn't spot this thread before someone else came up with the right answer, so I'll go off on a tangent and respond to this instead  Grin

I have cycled the complete length of the K&A towpath from Bath to Reading, and walked a fair bit of it as well. Going east it is reasonably well-surfaced from Widcombe locks at Bath to the eastern outskirts of Devizes (although even on that section there is a dodgy length around Seend). From Theale into Reading it is also reasonably well surfaced, although part of the "towpath" is nowhere near the canal as it passes by the M4 Reading Services. There is a bit of private land there that causes the diversion.

Between Devizes and Theale it is generally only surfaced at the locks and wharves, and the rest of it is grass. Or mud... You can have excellent walks along it as long as there has not been any substantial rain lately, which tends to preclude the winter months because it won't dry out much even if it hasn't rained for a week.

One particularly lousy section is between Froxfield and Hungerford, where it essentially runs along the edge of a field. This field usually contains cattle and, when they want a drink, you can guess where they go to get the water from. Heavy buggers, cows...

There is also a tunnel at Burbage and the towpath leaves the canal for a bit and starts again on the other side.

In case anyone is interested, here s the the view that Streetview gives of that bit of railway at Avoncliff: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3391305,-2.283005,3a,53.4y,244.92h,86.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3RFZGUu3H-tFey_KUmYMuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 22:12:11 »

Oh dear. Sounds like standards may have slipped. Mind you it was more than two years ago since we last ate there.

My choice today was pub or... pub. Despite the opening times sign saying to the contrary, the tea shop wasn't open today.

But then, folks who know me would know it was always going to be the pub!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: