Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:25:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Station dwell inputs, last day: July 24, 2019
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Helping to keep trains on schedule when timetables tighten up in December 2019  (Read 8985 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 23:12:29 »

The extra train will be added during off-peak hours in 2020.

Introducing the 4tph to Bristol won’t happen in December.  That’s been the plan since the early part of the year, as I mentioned in my first post regarding the December timetable in another thread.  It’s whether all the other planned introductions happen at once or in stages.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 23:13:17 »

Quote from: eightonedee
(No doubt someone out there will know and tell me......!)

I don't "know" but I can glean things from RTT» (Real Time Trains - website)  Grin

The four cars that are dropped off go ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to Reading depot so they are clearly not immediately needed for another train.

The 1857 RDG(resolve) DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) is the 1819 from Paddington, which stops only at Maidenhead and Twyford.

The 1858 arrival is the 1757 ex-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) which stops at all stations except Acton Main Line and Hanwell & Elthorne.

I suspect the Powers That Be expect a higher loading to Maidenhead, Twyford and Reading on the 1819 fast train from PAD than on the 1759 stopper, so that is why the four cars go to Reading only on the express service. Whether or not the actual loading bear out Powers That Be's wisdom is something that you can answer better the I can!

All that said, the various TOCs (Train Operating Company) that now operate what used to be known as British Railways Southern Region have been splitting and joining portions of trains since Noah was a lad and usually without delay, so there is nothing wrong with the principle itself. Perhaps GWR (Great Western Railway) staff need to up their game in the matter?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 23:21:15 by Robin Summerhill » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 23:48:37 »

There's one thing that would help - eliminate dividing trains mid-journey. ...

I beg to differ on the principle; I don't know about the particular cases you mention. 

The trunk of the GWR (Great Western Railway) network - the line out of Paddington - requires as many seats as possible (at least at busiest times) and everything needs to be 9 or 10 cars. But as the train get further out in some directions, passengers thin out somewhat. One option is to turn back alternate trains at [choose place] but then that leaves a service below optimum frequency beyond, but another is to split and that at its crudest (turning 5 carriages around) makes financial sense. At its best, it allows you to "feather" and provide through London services to new destinations, perhaps replacing local trains. 

Keeping such trains on schedule? Simples - please, Mr DfT» (Department for Transport - about), don't tighten the SLC (Service Level Commitment) specification for them beyond what is sensible. You are not looking at dwell times at perhaps a dozen stations along the way - just at one. And at that one you are replacing a connectional change ... which would take a few minutes and would be less attractive to the customers.

Where might some interesting hourly car services end up? Weston-super-mare.  Yeovil Pen Mill.  Hereford.  Paignton ... Westbury 2 trains per hour to Paddington, one via Bedwyn and one via Didcot.  Perhaps the Weston service joining with a service from South Wales at Bristol Parkway.  But all this way, way beyond what this thread is about which is ensuring excellent dwell times all along the routes from December.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 13:18:02 »

Leaving aside any late running resulting from Network Rail infrastructure issues, you don't have to be a genius to realise that a lot (?most) of other delay is generated by passengers not being in the correct place on the platform to board as quickly as possible.

An obvious help in this area would be to make better use of the CIS (Customer Information System) screens in conjunction with the new platform zonal markings; certainly at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) the presentation of train information is extremely variable and much more detailed for GWR (Great Western Railway) services than for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)).

I would have the information presented in a partially tabular format:

12:45 GWR service to London Paddington               (On Time/Expected hh:mm)
This train has 9 coaches
This train will also call at Taunton, Westbury & Reading
Coach ID          Platform Zone          Class                 Facilities
     A                       1                      First          (Wheelchair Symbol)
     B                       2                      First
     C                       3                   Standard           (Cycle Symbol)
     D                       4                   Standard
etc, etc.....

Would all passengers please check their reservations and move to the correct platform zone.
Passengers without reservations please move to platform zone(s) xxxxx
(It is surely possible for train managers/the booking system to provide advance notice of the location of the majority of unreserved seats. Do trains still have unreserved coaches?)

And don't forget to use the station PA (Public Address) to ensure passengers fully understand where they need to go.

Unless of course the current technology is completely incapable of doing this!  Sad

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 14:10:55 »

Leaving aside any late running resulting from Network Rail infrastructure issues, you don't have to be a genius to realise that a lot (?most) of other delay is generated by passengers not being in the correct place on the platform to board as quickly as possible.

An obvious help in this area would be to make better use of the CIS (Customer Information System) screens in conjunction with the new platform zonal markings; certainly at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) the presentation of train information is extremely variable and much more detailed for GWR (Great Western Railway) services than for XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)).

I would have the information presented in a partially tabular format:

12:45 GWR service to London Paddington               (On Time/Expected hh:mm)
This train has 9 coaches
This train will also call at Taunton, Westbury & Reading
Coach ID          Platform Zone          Class                 Facilities
     A                       1                      First          (Wheelchair Symbol)
     B                       2                      First
     C                       3                   Standard           (Cycle Symbol)
     D                       4                   Standard
etc, etc.....

I have noticed that the CIS is providing more detail sometimes than it did six months ago, such as "Last Reported". It should not be beyond the wit of man to have a summary of which coach is going to stop at which zone - if it is, ask a woman to do it. It wouldn't be needed at Paddington, but I am sure the modern kit is capable.

Now, please!
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 14:23:27 »

An obvious help in this area would be to make better use of the CIS (Customer Information System) screens in conjunction with the new platform zonal markings

I think you're overestimating the extent to which passengers will (a) bother to read and (b) believe the information on information displays. It's much better to ensure that trains are in a consistent formation.

You also will struggle to get many people to stand out in some numbered zone beyond the end of the canopies – even if it's not raining, the end of the canopy has a psychological effect. Consequently, the easiest passengers to put out there are those with reservations (and the argument then goes that reservations in Standard Class should not be available in carriages D-H, and should only become available in C once B and J are completely reserved).

REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 14:37:56 »

I think passengers do try to stand near where their reservation is but the 10 coach IET (Intercity Express Train) comes in with first class at each end of the train because a unit is the wrong way round. The last time it happened to me the Newton Abbot indicator listed the coaches as 1-10 and not lettered.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 17:10:57 »

The screens will always list the coaches as 1-10, 1-9 or 1-5 even though the actual carriages are lettered.

At first glance that seems illogical but the coaches have to keep a static letter for the reservation system and things like the quiet coach.   Even if you could guarantee each train was made up correctly things like diversions and reversals would soon put pay to it.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 18:21:05 »

It also depends on the information posted about the train formation being correct.  Only 50% success on my recent journeys so that I now resort to waiting in the centre of the platform until the train arrives and I can ascertain the formation.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 21:00:02 »

Yes that has certainly been an issue.

Sort of understandable when first starting out on a journey but there should be a routine that someone (train manager?) checks the screens and advises control if they are wrong.
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2019, 22:49:39 »

Sort of understandable when first starting out on a journey but there should be a routine that someone (train manager?) checks the screens and advises control if they are wrong.

I believe a system is being/has been rolled out that allows all TMs(resolve) to update formation information of their train as needed. Hopefully as this is more often utilised information will improve in quality.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2019, 22:59:00 »

I believe a system is being/has been rolled out that allows all TMs(resolve) to update formation information of their train as needed. Hopefully as this is more often utilised information will improve in quality.

I reckon the trains should be able to report that kind of thing - formation, where they are, what's run out, as well as train system faults etc - all on their own.
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2019, 23:20:10 »

I reckon the trains should be able to report that kind of thing - formation, where they are, what's run out, as well as train system faults etc - all on their own.

There is such a system. Hundreds of signals are available from every 80x and can be viewed if you have access, which GWR (Great Western Railway) control staff do.
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 22:14:22 »

One issue causing extended dwell times is that some classic HST (High Speed Train) sets have a separate cycle compartment in coach A that isn't accessible from the rest of the train.  This causes confusion, passengers with bikes trying to board other parts of the train, then made to get off and go to the end coach, and then walk back to get on another part of the train.  If all the classics were like that, cyclists would at least get used to this train layout - but they're not.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2019, 13:09:38 »

I think there should be a campaign to encourage passengers not to stand in the vestibule area unless absolutely necessary.  I was boarding a crowded HST (High Speed Train) at Bristol recently, and it took ages to get everyone on, fighting their way past people who got on and just blocked the door area.  The funny thing was, when I eventually got into the carriage, there were seats for all, and it wasn't that crowded after all.

The other idea would be to have drivers open the doors on local services.  (I'm not going to suggest that they close them too, as I know that will start a much bigger debate.)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: