Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:34:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth station disapointment  (Read 16810 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2019, 07:00:19 »

Station Toilets locked up due to vandalism,and no train/s in the station
One passenger requested if station staff could open one of the toilets and the station staff opened one of the toilets.
Another pasenger requested the same thing,and was told "use the trains toilets" as a train was now in the station.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 07:31:49 »

Station Toilets locked up due to vandalism,and no train/s in the station
One passenger requested if station staff could open one of the toilets and the station staff opened one of the toilets.
Another pasenger requested the same thing,and was told "use the trains toilets" as a train was now in the station.

Weymouth Station and the area around it certainly didn't feel welcoming when I was there last Sunday.  Greeted by a revenue protection blockade, then (when clear of the platform) finding that the toilets were all locked.  A general uncared-for look - things like near-empty literature racks, and various laminated signs instructing passengers how to behave. Later in the day, a lack of enough seating for those people who had come back from the town in good time for the return train home, but which wasn't yet available to them and a heavy police presence. 

This "Welcome to Weymouth" message has extended beyond the station. Anyone anxious for a loo will find that the businesses on Queen Street just outside have "toilets for customer use only" signs, and the big advert on the Weyline Taxi office that faces you as you head out from the station offer you good fares to HMP Verne as its headline.  It does talk about return fares, at least!

First thoughts is "the vandals have won".  But I have no proof of that; not been in the loos, don't know how big a battle has been fought or whether they're a convenient excuse to provide only minimal facilities ... and that minimal facilities are a good way to keep non-travellers who are considered undesirable away from the station.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 09:50:42 »

Weymouth station is a poor first greeting to visitors to the town. Toilets have been closed ‘due to vandalism’ for a few years now. The lack of literature in the racks is a more recent thing but adds to the ‘we don’t care’ look and feel of this station.

SWR» (South Western Railway - about) need to make more effort with this station but with the keys to the franchise probably due to be handed back soon to dft, I doubt they care.

I think Weymouth station just about sums up how much things have slipped on the SW mainline these past few years.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 09:55:23 »

I first met Graham outside the toilets at Weymouth Station (stop it!!) - so it isn't all bad.

Seriously though I do agree it doesn't create a good shop window for the place in the way, say, Brighton Station does.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 12:49:46 »

My understanding is that, according to the terms of TOC (Train Operating Company) franchises, the stations need to be handed back/over in the same state or better than they were in on receipt. Working toilets would surely be a part of that but I suppose they could be repaired just prior to handover in order to minimise the risk of repeat repairs. If that is the case,  what then does that say about TOC station maintenance Ts and Cs?
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 18:35:18 »

Whilst at Weymouth today I noticed that the notices state that the toilets are closed on the advice of BTP (British Transport Police).  I also understand that the problems on the 2023 departure have now transfered to earlier departures because of the police presence on the former service

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 18:46:17 »

Last time I went to Weymouth, I didn't go out the front of the station - our train did a rather odd manoeuvre involving backing up and then heading off down Commercial Road - which was a lot of fun and had the added benefit that my eyes were not assaulted by the truly abysmal station building.

Actually, from the dates I suspect that it was in the process of being built (if that is the correct term for assembling an architectural wart) when I last passed through. It is a product of the era that brought us the Serpell Report and the dequadrification of Filton Bank. If it acts as a magnet for ne'er-do-wells, then little wonder - its architecture is so similar to that of a Young Offenders' Institute, they probably feel right at home.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 06:47:04 »

... passenger requested if station staff could open one of the toilets and the station staff opened one of the toilets ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
MrC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 13:07:29 »

It is a product of the era that brought us the Serpell Report and the dequadrification of Filton Bank. If it acts as a magnet for ne'er-do-wells, then little wonder - its architecture is so similar to that of a Young Offenders' Institute, they probably feel right at home.

Sorry but I have to disagree. The issue with Weymouth (and similar seaside and holiday towns) is not the infrastructure but more that changes to social care, increasing numbers of anti-social elements and the growth of care in the community (amongst other policies) has led to the under-funded police and (para-)medical services as the only way to handle certain members of the population. Weymouth station is slap bang in the middle of a depressed seaside town with a huge drugs and drink problem so it's no wonder it's ended up the way it has. It's also the destination for a great number of summer travellers (mostly from Yeovil and points North) who's only aim is to get absolutely paralytic. The only way to avoid the issue would be to have the building permanently walled off with one or two entrance points and/or a permanent security staff presence. I can't see many on here welcoming either a walled-up station or an increase in their ticket prices to pay for heavy 24x7 security.

And frankly the current station architecture while not perfect is vastly better than the old dump with far better access to and from the car park/drop-off points, together with better disabled access.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 14:54:41 »

I don't know Weymouth but my general thoughts coincide with MrC's above. My first thoughts on seeing "toilets closed due to criminal misuse" (note misuse not damage) is "shooting gallery" and on knowing this is a seaside town, I add a depressed local economy and stag parties. (Yes, that's a lot of stereotyping in one sentence: by no means all stag parties are destructive, some coastal towns are thriving and there might be other reasons for this specific toilet closure - but as a generality, those are my thoughts.)

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 16:35:22 »

The current Weymouth Station (building) was built around 1983 to replace the vast and decaying Brunel era wooden relic. This had received bomb damage in the war and heavily modified to make is safe/usable. It was far too large for the then current traffic and much land was surrendered mainly for retail use! When new it was quite an improvement but is slightly neglected now. I am a regular traveller to Weymouth and, have perhaps once, seen the toilets locked out of use. They have not been closed "for years." They are, however, never currently available in the eveings - presumably once the ticket office closes. This has been the situation for a long time.

If I have not used the 20.21 Sat for a while now and maybe it is getting worse but I have had few negative experiences.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 16:39:30 »

The issue with Weymouth (and similar seaside and holiday towns) is not the infrastructure but more that changes to social care, increasing numbers of anti-social elements and the growth of care in the community (amongst other policies) has led to the under-funded police and (para-)medical services as the only way to handle certain members of the population.

Weymouth station is slap bang in the middle of a depressed seaside town with a huge drugs and drink problem so it's no wonder it's ended up the way it has. It's also the destination for a great number of summer travellers (mostly from Yeovil and points North) who's only aim is to get absolutely paralytic.

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) earlier today ...

More than half of England's coastal communities could see a decline in the number of residents aged under 30 by the year 2039.

Analysis by BBC News of population projections has found seaside towns in northern England could see the biggest decline in under-30s.

The Parliamentary Group for Coastal Communities said funding cuts meant seaside towns were "being left behind".

The government said it had invested more than £200m in coastal communities.

The coastline in England is home to some of the most beautiful but also poorest places in England.

The article picks out Northern England ... but I wonder about some towns in the South West too, including Weymouth.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 16:45:04 »

The current Weymouth Station (building) was built around 1983 to replace the vast and decaying Brunel era wooden relic.

Lots of history and very interesting pictures at http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/weymouth/

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 21:52:54 »

An article from the Dorset Echo from last November was just recycled on my feeds for some reason ...

Dorset Coastal Forum bid for funding - including Weymouth train station revamp

Moves to breathe new life into a gateway to Weymouth have taken a major step forward with hopes for a £4 million funding bid for a range of projects clearing the first hurdle.

Transforming Weymouth railway station into a revamped hub, improving the look of the area and creating better access, is among the projects included in an application to the government for regeneration funding to boost our seaside communities.

The comments on the article, as ever, set the local mood though ...

I'm sure the druggies will appreciate any upgrade.

Why bother upgrading the train station when the trains are disrupted so often?

Still used as a railway station is it? There doesn't seem to be many trains using it these days due to strikes, breakdowns, engineering work, lack of drivers etc., etc...

What Weymouth Station really really want is more platforms and double track on the APPROACH to the station.

I thought that the railway station was privately owned by railtrack. So way aren't they paying for the upgrade.

There seems to be elements in Weymouth who are less than proud of their station ...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 06:46:02 »

Whilst at Weymouth today I noticed that the notices state that the toilets are closed on the advice of BTP (British Transport Police).

From Gloucesterhire Live

Urine trouble: British Transport Police warn train passengers of humiliating consequences for weeing in public - as this man found out

Does strike me that just about all options to perform a natural body function that some of us need quite regularly are being taken away.  Wise advise I was given on how to say no:
* Express regret
*.Give reason
* Suggest alternative
With a practical alternative, fair enough but everyone has been reading "just say no".

I wonder if BTP at Weymouth have their own / access to staff toilets ...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: