07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
Delayed
06:04 Basingstoke to Reading
06:40 Reading to Basingstoke
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 06:33:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[94] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[82] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[79] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[66] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[43] Europeran Rail Timetable
[42] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth station disapointment  (Read 16699 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 09:10:56 »

The trains generally have a toilet. Those without a ticket shouldn't rely on stations
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 10:41:37 »

The trains generally have a toilet. Those without a ticket shouldn't rely on stations

They should be able to rely on a station toilet if like Bristol the LA has shut all public loos.

Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 10:49:20 »

They should be able to rely on a station toilet if like Bristol the LA has shut all public loos.

Grin

Indeed ... there really should be a minimum level of toilet provision.   For those meeting and greeting, seeing people off, arriving back at the station in good time, awaiting a delayed or cancelled train, just arrived thinking "we'll go to the loo when we get there", etc.   There are public loos in Weymouth - on the front, about 200 yards from the station.  Think some are still open but some closed.

Just on the train is - in my opinion - below that minimum level for a place like Weymouth.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 10:56:49 »

Not if the TOC (Train Operating Company) would need to pay for full-time security, I don't.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 11:44:19 »

It is OK to say "go on the train".  My very crowded 3 coach train to Weymouth last Saturday only had one out of three toilets in working order.  I suspect that ran out of water long before the end of the day.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 12:01:43 »

It is OK to say "go on the train".  My very crowded 3 coach train to Weymouth last Saturday only had one out of three toilets in working order.  I suspect that ran out of water long before the end of the day.

Reminds me of a two (or was it three) coach Sprinter I got back from after the Cardiff FA Cup final in 2006. I had been in the huge queue outside Cardiff Central for what felt like an age, just missing being allowed through for the previous service. "Bursting" would be an understatement of mine and my fellow travellers condition by the time of the following service (due to a small amount of drowning of sorrows). Fortunately, I was first on the train when station staff allowed the queue to move again and first to it's loo. There was still a queue for it through the coach when I got off at Temple Meads.

Edit: I still feel more reassured using a public convenience only used by people who have already ( in theory at least) purchased a railway ticket.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:11:39 by johnneyw » Logged
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2019, 22:11:44 »

I've been away in Weymouth this weekend, so had a chance to see how much of a disappointment the station is. I have been there many times before, as I particularly like Weymouth as a resort.

Yes the toilets are closed, permanently by the look of it, and the station isn't particularly welcoming, but I know many that feel worse. I quite like the way you can walk from the platform straight out onto the street by the side and be in the heart of the town immediately, and while the area around the station is probably Weymouth's poorest, it only takes a minute to have the vista of the glorious crescent beach and all its activity and a walk along its prom.

In terms of toilet provision, Weymouth must now be one of the few main towns in the south-west which still has a reasonable number of public toilets and all free to use, unlike most tourist places where all are charged.

Personally I would have thought toilet provision ought to come under the remit of the Disability Discrimination Act, as many of us have disabilities which require frequent access to toilets. And provision on trains is no real substitute, as when they are working (which IME (in my experience) they often aren't), the trains can be so overcrowded that it can be very difficult to get to one, and for those who are very frail, trying to in a moving train is not practical.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2019, 22:38:42 »

Many towns in the UK (United Kingdom) have pissoirs that rise from the ground in the evening or are dropped off from a lorry on a Friday / Saturday night. A very sensible idea. Sorry ladies. Cry

Of course in many European cities they are available 24/7. I don't know how much maintenance they need. Some may feel uncomfortable using them but I'm perfectly ok with them.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2019, 23:32:22 »

Many of the male gender who have, like me, now got to "a certain age," can certainly empathise with this man's character...

Wink
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 16:09:47 »

The 1980s Weymouth Station modification/rebuild is certainly not without it's critics on this forum as has been the case for other examples of post WW2 station architecture . This got me thinking, do forum members have any examples of post WW2 Station architecture that they actually think works well, both aesthetically and functionally? Also, are there any notable "dishonourable mentions" that forum members would like to let off some steam about?

To avoid a total topic drift fiasco, I'll start a new thread in a couple of mo's somewhere under "The Wider Picture in the United Kingdom" heading.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 12:05:21 »

Many towns in the UK (United Kingdom) have pissoirs that rise from the ground in the evening or are dropped off from a lorry on a Friday / Saturday night. A very sensible idea. Sorry ladies. Cry
A version for women has been designed as well, but AFAIK (as far as I know) so far only used at festivals.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2023, 14:19:25 »

All the lovely new stuff out the front, and Weymouth Station remains a disappointment.    I didn't comment on it earlier today; I had simply drawn a deep breath yesterday, sadly noticed in unimproved from this thread 4 years ago.   However, SWR» (South Western Railway - about) asked me via a survey my opinion, so this is what I wrote.

Toilets need to be open.  For a big station, a member of staff would be useful. Once station closed (later in the day / my GWR (Great Western Railway) return via Yeovil) no sign saying "closed" on front, no screen showing departure, had to look at each platform to find the train from along the platform itself.   And this on a busy summer day at a seaside terminus with lots of people using your services

Not really helped for newcomers to rail being faced with a train with a scrolling screen labelled "Barnstaple" which was (of course) going to Swindon.   

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2023, 10:34:04 »

All the lovely new stuff out the front, and Weymouth Station remains a disappointment.    I didn't comment on it earlier today; I had simply drawn a deep breath yesterday, sadly noticed in unimproved from this thread 4 years ago.   However, SWR» (South Western Railway - about) asked me via a survey my opinion, so this is what I wrote.

Toilets need to be open.  For a big station, a member of staff would be useful. Once station closed (later in the day / my GWR (Great Western Railway) return via Yeovil) no sign saying "closed" on front, no screen showing departure, had to look at each platform to find the train from along the platform itself.   And this on a busy summer day at a seaside terminus with lots of people using your services

Not really helped for newcomers to rail being faced with a train with a scrolling screen labelled "Barnstaple" which was (of course) going to Swindon.   

I have to agree with your comments. I was there on Saturday, went to find the loo, found there was none so went back to the train I had just got off and used the toilet on that. There was a sign suggesting I use toilets on the esplanade and having done that later in the day I can report that they are not exactly close to the station. But they are plentiful unisex cubicles in good condition.

And yes I found the front gate locked on my return too. I can't remember if there was a sign pointing to the side entrance. I just knew it was there.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2023, 11:53:08 »

The new CRP (Community Rail Partnership) struggles to make the station look open and vibrant amongst all the rules

I suspect there ARE loos but they are reserved for staff and customers aren't catered for. 
Mind you, the one esplanade has special loos for underground ladies, whoever they are.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2023, 19:10:44 »

I didn't see the underground toilets. These are the ones I used (minus the green fence). It's good to see a local council improving or increasing toilet facilities when many others have chosen to close them.

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18618576.weymouth-esplanades-new-toilet-beach-office-will-open/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: