I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:44:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sort of Oystery...  (Read 8813 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2019, 15:05:50 »

'Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services)' style smart ticketing for buses and trains on its way to Bristol
'It’s sort of Oystery, that’s the vision, but a bit better than that'
"Oyster" style smart ticketing for bus and rail travel is finally on its way to Bristol.
A four-phase plan that is already underway should see the West of England reach its “nirvana” of combined public transport payments by 2025.
Details of the smart ticketing project, led by South Gloucestershire Council on behalf of the West of England Combined Authority (Weca), were revealed at a Bristol City Council committee meeting on July 23.
Adam Crowther, the council’s head of strategic city transport, told members of the growth and regeneration scrutiny committee that: “It’s sort of Oystery, that’s the vision, but a bit better than that.”
Full article: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/oyster-style-smart-ticketing-buses-3141811

Today’s WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) meeting also approved investment of £718,000 on integrated ticket across public transport, including extending contactless payments for buses, as well as £100,000 to develop more walking and cycling routes. These projects are all part of WECA’s aim to get more people out of their cars and get around the region in more sustainable ways – helping to reduce carbon emissions.

Source: WECA (https://www.westofengland-ca.gov.uk/climate-emergency-declared-west-england-combined-authority/)

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 17:18:45 »

Does this mean that the card tapping points installed along the Severn Beach Line quite a while back will at last have a use?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 17:49:37 »

Wonder how far this scheme will get.

We were told that we were getting an 'Oystery' type system a few years ago and in came 'Touch', a First Group initiative which the LA's didn't like as FG would be running it and taking the lions share.

So the LA's (BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) led) came up with the 'travelwest' card which you can get from the I-points as well as other outlets.

We also got m-tickets.

There is also the little known AvonRider which is available from and can be used on the majority of bus services in the former County of Avon area.

The latest issue of Firsts local fares guide also advises that you can now buy 'Freedom Pass' from bus drivers as well as rail stations and the prices have been reduced too.

How many more systems do we Bristolians want.

What WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) needs to do is actually SPEND some dosh on fixing some current infrastructure problems like getting the double yellow line paintbrush and paint out and installing a few hundred metres of double yellow lines. Remove a few trees that lean away from the sidewalks into the roads and prevent high sided vehicles, buses included, from using the full width of the road. Enforce the bus lanes rather than walking away like cowards and not enforcing the no parking in bus lanes in peak hours and extend the bus lane operative times.

When I have been in a heated discussion with council officers over the lack of double yellow lines here or there, their response has been that we cant prevent people from parking in front of their own homes. I look them in the eye and say, "try telling that to the people living in houses fronting Muller Road from Fishponds Road to the M32 Muller Road roundabout, they'd flatten you with a right hook, you took their right to park outside their home by painting yellow lines along both sides of the road, when they started parking on the grass of Eastville Park opposite their homes you put recent, at the time, felled tree trunks to stop the parking and forcing them to block over their front gardens but even that does not prevent encroachment onto the footpath forcing pedestrians into the road, baby buggies included. Red Squirrel would probably concur with me on this.

I'll finish before my blood evaporates but I hope you all reading this gets my 'gist'.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 18:12:07 »

[...]

This document fleshes out what's planned somewhat (scroll down to Slide 17). It is clearly recognised that a unified system is required - and it looks like that's what WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) plan to deliver - including 'tap-in' and capping.

Edit: Erhem, here it is: https://democracy.bristol.gov.uk/documents/s34444/Public%20Transport%20GR%20Scrutiny%20July%202019.pdf
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 19:24:02 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 20:05:41 »

[...]

This document fleshes out what's planned somewhat (scroll down to Slide 17). It is clearly recognised that a unified system is required - and it looks like that's what WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) plan to deliver - including 'tap-in' and capping.

Edit: Erhem, here it is: https://democracy.bristol.gov.uk/documents/s34444/Public%20Transport%20GR%20Scrutiny%20July%202019.pdf

The report's section on bus travel is interesting. It claims that Bristol is bucking the trend of declining bus usage and gives various reasons for it but omits the main one, namely, the paucity of rail based alternatives compared to other cities. Without that inclusion the remaining explanations look very fragile on their own.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 13:27:05 »

[...]

We got 'tap-in' NOW, we got capping NOW (Bristol Zone DayRider, AvonRider, West of England Zone DayRider, West of England Extended Zone Dayrider).

Will WECA encompass North Somerset in the scheme even though they are not an integral part of that organisation.

Will the capping allow me to travel from my home in South Gloucestershire to my sisters in Taunton and return for the same capped amount as someone commuting from say Hotwells to Thornbury, or Lyde Green to the City Centre. Will the area be zoned and capping be applied within zones, across zones, etc. How will I fare if I travel to Bath from S.Glos. zone to Bath inner zone through Bath outer zone when I have to travel back to my home from Bath inner zone through Bath outer zone, Bristol outer zone, Bristol inner zone then  Bristol outer zone again until I finally finish my travels in the S. Glos. zone at home. Will the capping be applied to the SHORTEST journey on the one bus or the LONGER journey on two buses.

I have my own ideas for public transport in the Bristol area and when time permits I'll share it with you forum members.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 14:30:29 »

[...]

The report's section on bus travel is interesting. It claims that Bristol is bucking the trend of declining bus usage and gives various reasons for it but omits the main one, namely, the paucity of rail based alternatives compared to other cities. Without that inclusion the remaining explanations look very fragile on their own.

Is that really the case? Compared with say London or Manchester, yes, but most cities are no better than Bristol and there are plenty of cities with a much greater paucity of rail-based alternatives, such as Birmingham, Leicester, Leeds, etc.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 18:31:04 »

[...]

Is that really the case? Compared with say London or Manchester, yes, but most cities are no better than Bristol and there are plenty of cities with a much greater paucity of rail-based alternatives, such as Birmingham, Leicester, Leeds, etc.

There are several more than you mention, for example; Nottingham, West Midlands, Tyne and Wear, Liverpool, Sheffield, Croydon in England alone and that is off the top of my head. There are also the Glasgow and Edinburgh examples as well as the nascent Devon Metro and South Wales Metro, all rail based solutions.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 11:55:14 »

[...]

Also mentions "roll out of residents' parking schemes" when they've been halted by Mayor Marvin. And has an illegible pie chart on Slide 11 (colours far too similar and impossible to related chart colours to key colours).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 12:02:25 »

One of the things which makes Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) simple to use and presumably administer is the flat fare. No need to tap out.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 12:28:12 »

One of the things which makes Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) simple to use and presumably administer is the flat fare. No need to tap out.

You mean on buses. There are zoned fares on the trains. 
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 13:20:19 »

Yes, I mean on buses, not trains. Though maybe when the Bristol Underground is running...  Grin

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 16:19:32 »

Yes, I mean on buses, not trains. Though maybe when the Bristol Underground is running...  Grin
At that point our descendants will have implanted RFID chips that record their minute to minute location and use of the unicorn powered busses as well as the underground.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 16:54:34 »

The following is a letter cut and pasteed from a free news sheet that circulates in my area.

If anything that tells the WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) Mayor to GET HIS ACT TOGETHER after the time he has been in office but I don't hold out any hope of getting any sense out of him for the remaining duration of his term of office, neither does it bode any better for the elected Mayor of Bristol or the two leaders of BANES and SGlos Councils who seemingly did not, or were too frightened to do so, correct Tim Bowles or was it that they too were so clueless to advise Tim Bowles of the existence of these ticket options.

The author of the letter, A. Peters is the head of Abus so he should know a thing or two and could teach WECA a thing or two as well.

Stephen is the editor of the free news sheet.

I would also draw attention to my post on this subject at ;-

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=21966.msg270112#msg270112

Article highlights Mayor’s lack of knowledge.

Dear Stephen

In Issue 586 (24th July) you have an article about the Metro Mayor Tim Bowles’ ambitions for transport in the area. He would like to see one ticket allowing travel from Keynsham to Bristol by train and change to the Metrobus to Cribbs Causeway.

This highlights his lack of knowledge of transport in his area.

The ticket has been available for 20 years. It is called the Freedom ticket, available on trains, from stations and I believe on First buses.

Additionally there is no Metrobus service from Temple Meads to Cribbs Causeway so they would have to change buses as well. It raises the question why not go direct on service 19A?

As well as the Freedom ticket there is also Plusbus, which, for an add-on to a rail ticket, gives travel throughout Bristol by bus from almost any station on the railway network.

I am not surprised by Mr Bowles’ lack of knowledge of transport opportunities in this area as he was also unaware of WEBOA (West of England Bus Operators Association). This is a body to which most bus operators in the area belong, including First.

This body was responsible for creating the Rider all operator tickets and other coordinated services in the area.

WEBOA have not been invited to WECA transport meetings.

Alan Peters

Vice chairman WEBOA
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: