Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:54:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advance from H&Harlington  (Read 3738 times)
basset44

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2019, 13:09:58 »

Hi All,

Need to get back to Cardiff on 9th December, arrive Term 5 about 1.45, I have booked an advance from Hayes & Harlington to Swindon on the 17.04 via London Paddington ( Not normal route) for an excellent £12.20 with Senior Railcard. Depart Padd 17.25 arrive Swindon 18.39

The Swindon to Cardiff is only showing Advance for the 18.45 at £16.15, am I right in thinking that the normal Off Peak with railcard is only £15.60 , which is not showing, with the inbuilt flexibility should I not make my advance and have to pay the single from Hayes to Swindon with Senior railcard.

Should I wait for the Off Peak Singles.

Many Thanks

Basset
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 14:50:38 »

I'm slightly puzzled by this, as it's a very long gap between 13.45 and 17.04.  I presume you are giving yourself a lot of time in case the flight is delayed?  But that's a lot of hanging around and then getting to Hayes just to save a few bob, especially if you've already had a long journey back from wherever.

Isn't the better option, the bus to Reading and then an off peak single. If you got the 1430 bus then you'd be in Cardiff at 1721, instead of having just having set off from Hayes.

It's slightly more expensive at 47.90 in total, but I'm guessing that if you are flying in and out of Heathrow for pleasure then the extra £15 or so to have a more comfortable and stress free journey home  should be small in comparison with the overall cost of the trip.

Appreciate you've already bought one ticket, but maybe something to think about for any future journeys from Heathrow.

In general I avoid advances on return from airports, for that reason. Interestingly, TransPennine express offer by default that advance tickets from Manchester Airport have their validity extended automatically if your flight is delayed.  That's a terrific idea, and maybe one other operators should do where possible.
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 07:40:13 »

Hi Celestial,

To be honest I never thought of that way, shall keep it in mind for next time.

The problem being I seem to have the time on my hands and going away every 6 weeks I need to keep the cost low.

Usually I book a late cheap advance and allow time for delays etc, but if everything okay I usually jump on a train at Hayes and have a break in Reading involving a beer or 2, what I didn't check before I booked was the route. This train involves a TFL (Transport for London) to Paddington, but I think the same principal applies.

Thanks

Basset
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 09:56:11 »

Just a thought. Presumably you have a reserved seat on the 17:25 Padd Swindon, but no reserve on the 17:04 Hayes Padd.

Therefore, can't you catch any train from Hayes that connects with the 17:25.  I've certainly caught earlier trains than that suggested from Taplow with an advanced ticket and booked seat from Reading.
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 12:59:54 »

That was/is my plan, I believe it's a somewhat Grey area.

In the past I have booked cheap advance tickets from Hayes and caught the first train to Reading and then wait for the train I am booked on, likewise from Stanstead Airport, waiting at Paddington.

What's caught me out is that train goes to London Paddington the opposite way, so I have to do a bit of track bashing and apparently the Swindon bound train does not pick up at Reading.

I wait for the off peaks from Swindon to appear and I buy them on the day and if everything is on time and I am out of Terminal 5 might catch the Bus /Train providing its still off peak.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 20:49:13 »

On a non reservable leg of an Advance Purchase ticket you can take an earlier train if you wish/are able to. Provided that earlier train is also non-reservable.

Better to hang around at Paddington than Hayes & Harlington.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 09:42:07 »

Better to hang around at Paddington than Hayes & Harlington.

Agreed Hayes is pretty bleak  these days at least you can eat and drink at Paddington both inside and outside the station.

You could even get one of the few bay seats on a 345 start up from the bay Platform, or if they are still running more  comfortably on a 360 Heathrow Connect or even a GWR (Great Western Railway) 387.

At least you are travelling before the timetable change!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: