Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:39:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[87] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[81] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[72] Return of the BRUTE?
[61] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Thames Valley services from December 2019 - GWR press release  (Read 24854 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2019, 09:10:44 »

Really? Currently on Reading to Didcot it's still the same inconveniently irregularly spaced service - arrival times at Goring spaced as follows from 17-06 to 20-06 as follows- all being gaps in minutes-

10-21-32-12-17-31-25-8-24.

And of course most of my North Downs connections at Reading seem to dump me there to catch the longest gaps. Six in two hours - is it too much to suggest one every 20 minutes might make a much better and more convenient service?

Whilst it may not be set in stone, the offer of services to Goring at the times you mention look to be worse from December. Starting with the 17:05 arrival the gaps in minutes are:  33-32-26-9-26-25-7-27 (20:10 arrival)

It would appear that whilst the so-called semi-fast services are speeded up between Paddington and Reading on account of having less stops, it simply waits time at Reading until its current booked path. A nice example here of a 14 minute wait at Reading in the middle of the day, with others simply dragging there heals (or should that be wheels) between Reading and Slough
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2019, 09:39:18 »

Whilst it may not be set in stone, the offer of services to Goring at the times you mention look to be worse from December. Starting with the 17:05 arrival the gaps in minutes are:  33-32-26-9-26-25-7-27 (20:10 arrival)

There’s definitely a few discrepancies there to be added/altered.  Looking a bit further down the line at Heyford, currently there is no peak time service listed from Oxford listed as stopping which can’t be the case. 

The first peak train from Oxford, that currently comes from Reading at 17:01, isn’t listed, despite the return working from Banbury being listed.  It has to get there somehow!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2019, 10:06:52 »

THis is the problem of using RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) as any guide, because services will get omitted/
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2019, 12:09:42 »

There’s definitely a few discrepancies there to be added/altered.

Whilst I hope for eightonedee's sake (and others) that you are correct II in that alterations are to be included, I don't see any additions that need to appear. The pattern above includes the half hourly from Paddington and the additional 4 that originate from Reading, the biggie being the 17:01 to Banbury becoming the 16:10 to Oxford (and then no doubt going on to Banbury later on). Even less room for manoeuvre of course with the new Didcot Fasts using the relief line between Reading and Didcot and as things stand nearly all XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services are routed on the reliefs, including the xx:15 mentioned up thread.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 12:32:52 »

We’ll have to wait and see - the train that forms the current 17:01 is still running into 13B at Reading (16:07 ex Oxford) with no listed ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) or passenger move after it.  So the 16:10 may well just be an additional as it has an ECS move off the depot listed for it?

Many services are still under negotiation with NR» (Network Rail - home page).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2019, 22:14:16 »

My blood pressure is already rising....

This may speed up my retirement plans!
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2019, 17:59:31 »

RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) is not showing a regular pattern of XR (Crossrail) starters/terminators at Maidenhead in either peak or off-peak from December, as envisaged in published draft timetables. 

Are the timings for this part of the service yet to be finalised, or will it wait until the XR’s go through London and don’t need main line platform space at Paddington?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2019, 18:26:49 »

Indeed, those extras along with anything else to West Drayton/Heathrow won’t be running until the tunnels open.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2019, 20:48:58 »

I'' told by the timetable gurus that bids/offers are still being made across the timetables, and no timetable is yet set in stone on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website). This gets mentioned every new timetable and yet is generally ignored.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2019, 21:28:42 »

I guess that’s because it’s probably at least 95% complete, so a pretty accurate idea can still be gleaned.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2019, 12:51:25 »

There’s definitely a few discrepancies there to be added/altered.

Whilst I hope for eightonedee's sake (and others) that you are correct II in that alterations are to be included, I don't see any additions that need to appear. The pattern above includes the half hourly from Paddington and the additional 4 that originate from Reading, the biggie being the 17:01 to Banbury becoming the 16:10 to Oxford (and then no doubt going on to Banbury later on). Even less room for manoeuvre of course with the new Didcot Fasts using the relief line between Reading and Didcot and as things stand nearly all XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services are routed on the reliefs, including the xx:15 mentioned up thread.

The 17:01 Reading to Banbury service is now listed on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website):

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y95497/2019/12/16/advanced

Interestingly, it is first stop Goring & Streatley.  That may still change of course as there are several amendments still to be made - a 57-minute gap is currently showing until the next train from Reading after the 17:01, which obviously won't be the case.

Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2019, 14:44:32 »

A few days ago RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) was showing a 1626 GWR (Great Western Railway) stopper from Padd – Didcot Parkway which called at Ealing Broadway at 1634 and which formed a 1726 Reading – Didcot Parkway stopper.  This would of course have filled the gap from Reading after the new 1701 (missing out Tilehurst and Pangbourne is I assume a NR» (Network Rail - home page) blip which RTT has faithfully reproduced)

This 1626 ex Padd has now disappeared from RTT.  Obviously there’s work in progress here.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2019, 09:39:45 »

It makes you wonder if there is enough justification for running an all stations Oxford – Reading turbo in the peak hours.  They’re timed close to the electric Didcot – Padd services, and take up a valuable path especially when NR» (Network Rail - home page) chooses to path the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))’s and other non-stop trains on the RL’s amongst the stoppers and freights (the capacity of the 4 track section Reading – Didcot is maximised if fast trains go on the ML’s and slow trains go on the RL’s).

Also, the benefit of a through train from say Goring – Oxford is rather lost if it sits in Didcot for 11 minutes (as the currently-timed 1701 Reading – Banbury does).  You can see NR’s problem – the 1701 has got to clear Didcot East before the 1643 Padd - Didcot fast (which runs RL from Reading) and the 1715 XC Reading – Manchester (also RL).

Looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) there appears to be a ML path available for the 1715 XC (but like all armchair experts I don’t have all the relevant information).

As has been said before, timetabling the RL’s between Didcot and Padd is not straightforward.  There will be even less flexibility for timetabling on the RL’s west of Reading when the full XR (Crossrail) service starts up with its rigid clockface service (and I still can’t see how 3000 tonnes stone trains and long FL’s can fit in amongst 12 tph XR’s between Airport Junction and Acton).
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2019, 09:31:05 »

Well its T – 12 weeks until the timetable change, and still no trains showing from Reading to Tilehurst and Pangbourne between the 1652 and 1758 departures.  And we still have this ridiculously oddly timed 1701 Reading – Banbury Turbo which omits Tilehurst and Pangbourne and then sits in Didcot for 11 minutes.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2019, 13:34:13 »

There’s a 17:25 ex Reading showing in the bid documents calling all stations to Didcot.  There’s two versions of it, one a stopper from Paddington at 16:26, the other a semi-fast at 16:50.  I would imagine neither has been accepted as of yet.  One thing for sure is that the gap will definitely be filled with something or there will be a breach of the SLC (Service Level Commitment) (Service Level Commitment). 

The 17:01 will be first stop Goring offering a 4-5 minute time saving for Goring and Cholsey passengers- but not much use for Tilehurst and Pangbourne ones.  I guess it’s to free up a freight path behind, but Pangbourne would have been a better choice than Cholsey.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: