Train Graphic
Great Western Passengers' Forum
Great Western Coffee Shop - [home] and [about]
Read about the forum [here].
Register and contribute [here] - it's free.
article index - [here]
 tomorrow - Santa on train - from WESTBURY
12/12/2019 - UK General Election
15/12/2019 - Santa Special - Melksham
15/12/2019 - GWR Timetable recast
16/12/2019 - Network Rail Surgery, BWT
24/12/2019 - No GWR trains, Paddington
Random Image
Train Running @GWR Twitter Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail news GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4 Chat on off
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
December 07, 2019, 12:05:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most liked recent subjects
[105] Advent Quiz - 2019
[102] Heading home for Christmas
[61] Railway station vs train station
[46] FOSBR - Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways
[41] Is there a case for reinstating the line to Clevedon?
[28] Railway bridges struck by road vehicles - merged topic, ongoin...
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Our friend David Redgewell - seriously ill but slowly recovering  (Read 4099 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 27, 2019, 05:08:23 pm »

I spoke with my friend and fellow public transport campaigner David Redgewell the other day, and again a few hours ago.  The other day, I spoke during a medical incident with the ambulance medic and with David in ambulance on his way to hospital ... today he's in that hospital in London and it sounds like he's where the very best of technology and treatment is there for him.

David's health has been far from good over recent years, and this update won't come as a shock to those of you who know him - indeed, what I've written so far reflects earlier concerns.  However, it sound like this time it was somewhat more serious - however, David is now resting up (if David ever "rests") and is moving in the right direction - though it may take a while for him to be back towards his usual self.

David has asked me to pass on his apologies to anyone reading this who was hoping to catch up with him at events today.   You will know as well as I do that "wild horses" wouldn't keep David away, and from that you can gather this ain't just another incident; this one will take time for him to recover from.   I have told David that we want him to get right and that's far more important thah rushing back, and that we all understand (somewhat) and appreciate the absolute need for him to put his health first for once.  With all the stuff that's been going on these years, his heart and lungs are not as strong as they used to be.

David is online, but limited - poor connectivity, his current condition,and no doubt doctors and nurses prodding him will all mean that he's around, but not around.

This is posted with his permission / at his request. Indeed I have read it over to him in the last few minutes.  I have said that I'll do my best to help explain.   David - hope I've hit this about right.   Other readers - please share to help clarify where / how things stand. Please keep tuned to this thread / feed and I'll try to update as / when I hear further.  And drop me a note if you want me to try to pass it on.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 05:24:29 pm by Red Squirrel » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Vice Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, on the board of TravelWatch SouthWest and of RailFuture
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 07:37:25 pm »

I spoke to David yesterday (Friday) morning and he told me the situation, he didn't sound well so I am glad there is one other forum member who is in contact with him and I wish him well.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 08:00:19 pm »

Spoke with David again ... passed on all your good wishes and the good wishes from elsewhere.  Also passed on the common "let them get you better and don't overdo it or rush out too early" theme in the hope that if it's said enough he'll listen ...

Confirming from the other day ... he's in the right place. And that "it may take a while for him to be back towards his usual self."  Both comments made and confirmed by background data.

Coffee Shop Admin, Vice Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, on the board of TravelWatch SouthWest and of RailFuture
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 08:19:58 pm »

Spoke with David again ... passed on all your good wishes and the good wishes from elsewhere.  Also passed on the common "let them get you better and don't overdo it or rush out too early" theme in the hope that if it's said enough he'll listen ...

Confirming from the other day ... he's in the right place. And that "it may take a while for him to be back towards his usual self."  Both comments made and confirmed by background data.

Thanks for the update Grahame.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 09:37:35 pm »

Maybe a pattern forming ... of a daily update/chat; it was light when David phoned and nearly dark by the time we put the phone down.  No huge update to pass on - merely passing on here that he's in the right place and knows it, however frustrating to be stuck there for his own good. And says "thank you" for all the messages - I've passed on all the people who have liked here or / and on Facebook groups.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 05:17:36 pm »

It's a few days since I posted a bulletin on David ... so here's one just to confirm an improving situation day by day.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 05:22:20 pm »

It's a few days since I posted a bulletin on David ... so here's one just to confirm an improving situation day by day.

Where is the bulletin then, can't see it, was wonder how he's doing, tell him I'll keep back copies of  THE WEEK IN for him to catch up on when he is back in circulation.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 05:34:43 pm »

Where is the bulletin then, can't see it, was wonder how he's doing, tell him I'll keep back copies of  THE WEEK IN for him to catch up on when he is back in circulation.

Previous note was at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=21969.msg270212#msg270212 ... here just a quick note to let everyone know he's doing better.  I did speak with him yesterday, and again today ... but I neglected to ask how much I can say / pass on - hence I'm posting with little more content than positive pointers of re-assurance.  I would be surprised not to be in touch again in the next 48 hours and will try to remember in amongst everyone else going on to get permission to post a more thorough update.   I will - certainly - pass on regards and wishes.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 04:56:52 pm »

The lesser spotted Redgewell (LSR) was spotted at the West Somerset Steam Fair yesterday afternoon according to usually reliable sources. The siting was confirmed not only by visual ID but also by the song of the LSR which will be familiar to many members involving concerns about buses, trains, local authorities and accessibility.

He's supposed to be taking it easy ... but then I know he's been feeling very constrained to the extent he has not felt it easy, so I suppose the odd trip is understandable.  If you see him, please remind him from me to take it easy .. not that I carry any weight or authority in suggesting that.

Red Squirrel
Global Moderator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 12:22:37 pm »

I saw Dave this morning at a meeting about the Temple Meads regeneration. He appeared to be in fine form, haranguing all and sundry about the poor provision for disability access in the proposed plans...
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 01:56:29 pm »

Thats good news to hear.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 03:19:49 pm »

Latest from a text from the man himself last night he is in a care home in Taunton until Monday.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: