16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 16:26:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[269] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[101] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[44] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[41] Signage - not making it easy ...
[8] IETs at Melksham
[7] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Where were Finn and I today, 28th July 2019?  (Read 5149 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2019, 21:09:21 »

Where's this?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 21:33:05 »

Quick eliminator, mainland UK (United Kingdom)?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 22:34:40 »

At a guess I'd say somewhere on the old Southern Railway ?.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 22:50:49 »

Quick eliminator, mainland UK (United Kingdom)?

Yes.

At a guess I'd say somewhere on the old Southern Railway ?.

Could well be...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 23:11:23 »

It looks a bit S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) to me, down one of the lanes between Wincanton and Henstridge
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 02:46:56 »

It looks a bit S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) to me, down one of the lanes between Wincanton and Henstridge

Much warmer. Now, which lane?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 08:52:00 »

Somewhere near the Gartell Light Railway, which was open yesterday. Park Lane perhaps
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 10:53:45 »

Quote from: bradshaw
Somewhere near the Gartell Light Railway, which was open yesterday. Park Lane perhaps

Working on the basis that very few people, other than locals, are going to have walked down many of those lanes, that is a reasonable assumption. To post up something on here that only the locals would know about might result in a never-ending series of incorrect guesses!

I would say this confirms it. This is the view from Park Lane towards the southern end of the Gartell:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/17459607585/

And this is what you see if you turn your back on the Gartell and look the other way:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/17271998570/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 16:46:33 by Robin Summerhill » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 11:07:13 »

Correct. Finn and I did take a walk around Park Lane halt on the Gartell Light Railway.

Gartell Light Railway is a private narrow guage railway that only opens to the public on a few days throughout the year. It has been laid on the trackbed of the former Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway between Templecombe and Henstridge.
http://newglr.weebly.com/

Just photographing yesterday. Finn and I plan to ride on the GLR next month.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 11:27:37 »

As an aside, reading this reminded me that back in the 1960s when we had our (then) Triang Hornby railset, our parents thought it might be a good idea to have some sound effects and so bought an EP called "Change at Templecombe" which was basically sounds recorded around the station on a certain day, still in the age of steam. I think it's still tucked away in the house somewhere , must have a poke around some time.

Edit: Actually went and found it, an "Argo Transacord Recording"....... 'change at Templecombe and go over the bridge, to No.3 platform for the Somerset and Dorset trains'.

Love it! And that's just the record sleeve! 😁
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 18:05:21 by johnneyw » Logged
Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 11:28:34 »

GLR, an excellent railway, particularly if you are interested in mechanical signalling!
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 11:46:08 »

Certainly well worth a visit

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 18:59:55 »

...To post up something on here that only the locals would know about might result in a never-ending series of incorrect guesses!

Don't be so sure!

Only recently one of our members posted a view taken inside an anonymous waiting room in Barrow-in-Furness... didn't take long for someone to identify it.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 19:58:23 »

...To post up something on here that only the locals would know about might result in a never-ending series of incorrect guesses!
Don't be so sure!
Only recently one of our members posted a view taken inside an anonymous waiting room in Barrow-in-Furness... didn't take long for someone to identify it.

I think you read more into that than I intended. The Barrow in Furness example is a railway location, as is the southern end of the Gartell. I was thinking more about the other road crossings over the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) in the greater Templecombe area, where few people other than locals are likely to go. For example:

Marsh Lane South Cheriton: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/17528314935/
Batchpool Lane Horstington: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/17340505708/
Broadmoor Lane Horsington: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/17340695870/
Broadmoor Lane again: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/17526058852/
Templecombe Lower from Throop Lane: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/16839354343/
Blackmoor Lane Henstridge:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/16837024464/
Marsh Lane, Henstridge: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93122458@N08/17459573795/

All of these photographs were taken back in 2012/13 when I was researching my book "Cycling the Somerset & Dorset Railway" Only four copies left before it goes out of print!  Grin
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 20:28:24 »

BNM used Blackmore Lane location in a previous quiz. The photo, as with yours, had a number of clues.
1) A South Somerset District Council sign, this gives a clue to location.
2) The old railway track
3) The signpost stating ‘restricted byway’
Somerset County Council  have an online map of their public rights of way which detail footpaths, bridleways and restricted byways.
Thus by looking at this map one can close in, using the clues given, on the right location and then confirm with Street View.
Thus someone who is not local can still make a good guess as to location

Most of these quiz photos contain clues which can be used in this way
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: