Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:30:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 7th to 11th August 2019 - Bristol International Balloon Fiesta  (Read 5935 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 29, 2019, 05:14:54 »

Some confusion online over buses and trains. PLEASE go by public transport:

By Train:

The closest train station to the Fiesta is Bristol Temple Meads, served by our travel partner GWR (Great Western Railway). From the station you can pick up the Fiesta Shuttle Bus service operated by First Bus to get to the event site.

For further information on travelling to Bristol Temple Meads with GWR please visit https://www.gwr.com/plan-journey/stations-and-routes/trains-to-bristol

By Bus

The First Bus Balloon Shuttle bus service is operated by First Bus, from Temple Meads Train Station and the City Centre – Metrobus Stop C2, Colston Avenue to the Balloon Fiesta. We highly recommend local residents take advantage of this service. Tickets can be purchased on the bus with no need to pre book.

or go under your own power

By Bicycle:

Those wishing to cycle can take ‘Festival Way’ a traffic-free path connecting the city to Ashton Court Estate and beyond. Starting in Bristol, you can use the National Cycling Route 33 which takes you on a traffic free path from Queens Square out of the city via Cumberland Road. Crossing the River Avon you join Kennel Lodge Road as you enter Ashton Court. There is bike parking available onsite by the Mansion House and the fallow deer park.

On Foot:

For those on foot, there are two main routes into the Fiesta site via Festival Way as detailed above or via the Clifton Suspension Bridge.

Above from http://bristolballoonfiesta.co.uk/visitor-information/directions/

From First Bus: https://www.facebook.com/FirstWestofEngland/posts/2315871058497698

Not long till Bristol International Balloon Fiesta!

We're running shuttle buses everyday from Temple Meads and the City Centre to get you to and from the fiesta site and we've got some great news for 2019...

In addition to our frequent shuttle service every day, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday we are running early morning services from 4.30am to get you to the morning ascent. Running every 20 mins until 10am, then at least every 10 minutes throughout the day.

Love mTickets? This year you can purchase your balloon shuttle ticket on the First Bus app and they are cheaper than buying from the driver or a ticket seller. Just search 'Special Events' in the Bristol area.

And last but not least, up to two children, 15 and under can travel free with each fare paying adult.

For ticket prices and more information visit www.firstgroup.com/eventbus
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:40:58 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 05:54:40 »

Noting elsewhere - it's said that ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) cards are not accepted on the special buses to the Fiesta as they're a special service.  I can believe that though not verified.  I note a follow up from holders of cards asking about what normal service buses they can get to reach the fiesta.  It's understandable that card holders wanting to get there as cheaply as they can, but doesn't ""free" bus" v "paid bus" for a substantial segment of potential visitors rather distort and frustrate the overall planning, running and economics?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 07:06:47 »

Noting elsewhere - it's said that ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) cards are not accepted on the special buses to the Fiesta as they're a special service.  I can believe that though not verified.  I note a follow up from holders of cards asking about what normal service buses they can get to reach the fiesta.  It's understandable that card holders wanting to get there as cheaply as they can, but doesn't ""free" bus" v "paid bus" for a substantial segment of potential visitors rather distort and frustrate the overall planning, running and economics?

True. LA's won't pay for "Eventbus" journeys. ENCTS holders can get to the Long Ashton P & R (m2) and cross the A370 to the fiesta site. Also as an alternative any "excel" service to Bower Ashton and walk, I've done it at past events. Also city service 24 to Ashton (Winterstoke Road) and walk. By train, Parson Street Station is actually nearer than Temple Meads, from Parson Street Station exit left onto Parson Street to inbound A38, left to Winterstoke Road thence right onto Winterstoke Road to Bower Ashton. The leather soles of ones footwear will likely to be deprived of a millimetre or so of thickness though as there is no taxi rank at Parson Street Station. Simple.

From First Bus website ;-

Back for another super year, Bristol International Balloon Fiesta is the largest gathering of hot air balloons in Europe. New for 2019, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 4.30am we are offering shuttle bus service every 20 minutes to get you to and from the morning ascent! Buses after 10am on all days will then run every few minutes throughout the day and evening to get you to the fiesta site and back again.

Tickets are just £3 single or £5 for a day ticket, with a special group ticket of £15 which allows up to five adults to travel together. We've introduced two new ticket features for 2019: up to two children (15 and under) can travel free with each fare paying adult and you can buy discounted tickets in advance of the day on the First Bus mTicket app.   

You can buy adult day and group shuttle bus tickets on the mTicket app and save money! Just download the First Bus app, click on the mTickets tab and select the Bristol area. Click on Special Events tickets and choose an adult day ticket for only £4 or group (up to 5 adults travelling together) for only £12 per day. This allows unlimited travel on the shuttle bus only for one day.

If you already have a First Day, Week, Month or Year ticket for Bristol or the West of England area you can upgrade your ticket to include the Balloon Shuttle for just £2 per person. Simply ask a Balloon Shuttle ticket seller or Balloon Shuttle Bus driver on the day of travel. 
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 07:11:21 »

Spare a thought for the residents of Pill,Portbury and Portishead who have their  Firstbus services decimated for these 4 days. They should run them down the Port way and over the Avon bridge so that we have some semblance of a service.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 07:59:27 »

Spare a thought for the residents of Pill,Portbury and Portishead who have their  Firstbus services decimated for these 4 days. They should run them down the Port way and over the Avon bridge so that we have some semblance of a service.

Don't get me going, don't be stupid, nothing on First Bus website saying the Pill. Portbury and Portishead bus services will be decimated for the 4 days. If anything its the motorists of Pill, Portbury and Portishead that should be thought of by the closing of the Suspension Bridge at intervals during the period of the fiesta but then THEY have the alternative of using the M5 Avon bridge.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 10:54:28 »

Don't get me going, don't be stupid, nothing on First Bus website saying the Pill. Portbury and Portishead bus services will be decimated for the 4 days. If anything its the motorists of Pill, Portbury and Portishead that should be thought of by the closing of the Suspension Bridge at intervals during the period of the fiesta but then THEY have the alternative of using the M5 Avon bridge.

Not sure I totally follow - certainly not a "stupid" question to ask about Pill, Portbury and Portishead which are behind the balloon fiesta - I would not be surprised if extra traffic past the fiesta didn't cause unusual congestion and upset the services.

P.S. I'm sure the use of "stupid" referred to the question, not the questioner, didn't it?  Grin Grin

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 11:47:13 »

Not a 'stupid' observation by any means, martyjon. You obviously haven't lived at the sharp end of the disruption to these buses for the last 10 years. I speak from personal experience. If it is the Bristol Balloon fiesta, why don't they hold it on the Downs instead of Ashton Court which is in North Somerset ? And unlike the motorists who can use the M5, the bus users do not have any alternative to the A369.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 14:56:26 by chuffed » Logged
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 15:14:47 »

Please ensure your balloons are fully deflated and folded to fit under your seat.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 22:22:36 »

I've not been since 2013. I've been put off by
  • the lack of Red Arrows and other aerobatical* displays.
  • adverse weather
  • the official website and others not fully explaining what "Arena Entertainment" actually is

I've been 4 times and seen the Red Arrows on most of those occasions and I'd like to go back again but it's a long journey for me and I'd want to know what else there is to do on the site before 6pm. 

*Not sure if that's a real word but my spell checker is happy with it
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 22:38:04 »

In my ten years living in Brizzle I attended the Bloon Fester site four times. On each of those occasions there were no mass ascents while I were there, due to weather.

The years I didn't go to Ashton Court of course had some great mass ascents. Only viewed them from afar out at El Dub.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 23:10:09 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 23:04:17 »

In the last few years, wind assisted off course, the mass lift offs have gone very low over my house, to the point where one nearly took the chimney off a house near me. That aside, it's a bloomin' spectacle but I hope my nearly 90 old chimney keeps it's head down next time.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 23:29:28 »

Think most flying will be caped, due to high forcast winds.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 23:36:45 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) weather website says it looks better on Sunday but it's still true that it is based on an imprecise science.

Edit: Schoolboy spolling error, not unprecise but imprecise. Sory!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 23:50:23 by johnneyw » Logged
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 17:51:10 »

Three years since this has happened....and for the residents of Pill Portbury and Portishead the additional pleasure of the buses being rammed for the first three miles in and out of the city. And no shuttle buses this year.... all for £120,00 which the fiesta committee said they didn't have  Surely they could have cancelled one of Marvin's jolly jaunts in unfamiliar climes to pay for it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 18:43:52 by chuffed » Logged
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2022, 01:41:37 »

No shuttle bus's will run from Bristol Temple meads to Ashton court,although all day on wednesday our BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) kept saying Ashton Gate

SUGGEST: head for the bus station and catch any of the bus's going to

Portishead Nailsea Clevedon or Weston Super mare.

The A370 weston super mare main road could be closed at any time at very short notice

NO FIREWORK DISPLAYS will take place for the whole FOUR days

Organisers are requestin(although they might be banned) not to set up portable barbeques

and please don't bring your family pet,the dog. I have heard there will be plenty of H2O points around the sight
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: