Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:29:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: August 2019 / Welcome to "Meet the Managing Director"  (Read 33076 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 10:20:03 »

I've read the correspondence with Mark Hopwood on the replacement of buffets with trolleys on the longer distance inter city services with interest.Is this the same Mark Hopwood who,when interviewed in Modern Railways in April 2009 in his capacity as MD of First Great Western admitted that trolleys did not work on long distance services and outlined plans to create a new fleet of Trailer Standard Buffets for its HST (High Speed Train) fleet to ensure every set had a buffet? He was quoted as saying" I dont think anyone is suggesting that if you're going to be making a journey for several hours we want to withdraw the ability for you to buy food and drink on the train...and yes, the original franchise proposition has changed in that we're not going for the trolley service in Standard Class now"
His current attitude to buffets also contrasts strongly with that of the East Coast where it has been reported that Virgin East Coast fought successfully to secure the inclusion of buffets.I'm afraid my interpretation of the situation is that GWR (Great Western Railway) no longer have an appetite for running the   business beyond the current franchise period,have no longer a vision for delivering a quality service and were accordingly  prepared to be rolled over by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)

Welcome.
Also is this the same Mark Hopwood who has previously said that DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) with underfloor engines were not wanted or suitable for inter city journeys ?
So we now have DMUs with underfloor engines AND no buffet. Progress I know but still regrettable.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 11:33:59 »

I've read the correspondence with Mark Hopwood on the replacement of buffets with trolleys on the longer distance inter city services with interest.Is this the same Mark Hopwood who,when interviewed in Modern Railways in April 2009 in his capacity as MD of First Great Western admitted that trolleys did not work on long distance services and outlined plans to create a new fleet of Trailer Standard Buffets for its HST (High Speed Train) fleet to ensure every set had a buffet? He was quoted as saying" I dont think anyone is suggesting that if you're going to be making a journey for several hours we want to withdraw the ability for you to buy food and drink on the train...and yes, the original franchise proposition has changed in that we're not going for the trolley service in Standard Class now"
His current attitude to buffets also contrasts strongly with that of the East Coast where it has been reported that Virgin East Coast fought successfully to secure the inclusion of buffets.I'm afraid my interpretation of the situation is that GWR (Great Western Railway) no longer have an appetite for running the   business beyond the current franchise period,have no longer a vision for delivering a quality service and were accordingly  prepared to be rolled over by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)

Welcome.
Also is this the same Mark Hopwood who has previously said that DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) with underfloor engines were not wanted or suitable for inter city journeys ?
So we now have DMUs with underfloor engines AND no buffet. Progress I know but still regrettable.
I think Mr Hopwood also wrote in a Modern Railways article that GWR (or it may have still been First Great Western back then) did not want to fall into the "class 180 trap" of having trains too short for the job (I've not checked the quote so may be remembering incorrectly), and yet we still ended up with far too many 5-car sets in my view. The 5+5=10-car formations really only have the capacity of a 9-car set and the 9-car set has far more potential to be a good train (shame about how hard the seats are and the lack of hot food for standard class passengers though).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
MarkHopwood

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 18:34:01 »

Good grief! What rubbish!

The point I made about the 2+7 HSTs (High Speed Train) back in 2009 or whenever was they had no catering capability at all pretty much. IETs (Intercity Express Train) have kitchens and full capability to support a trolley. So please don’t go scraping the barrel of previous quotes in a desperate bid to prove I said something that suits you. Fundamentally, we are selling more items from the trolley today than from the HST buffets this time last year.

As far as underfloor DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) are concerned. The IET is an electric train with diesel capability and the fact they spend varying proportions of time on diesel but quite significant time on electric changes the goalposts. The other thing is that the sound of an MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engine under a 800/802 is a world away from the sound, vibration and smell of a Cummins QSK19 under a 180/22x.

That said I’d prefer to see more electrification!

Goodness knows what I said in 1989 that will get dragged onto this site to make some point shortly ... !
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:02:13 by MarkHopwood » Logged
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 21:26:52 »

The Mark of a good manager is to be proactive,and in doing so be willing and able to adapt to changing situations 1989 is a hell of a long time passed and the Railway along with many other forms of business,whether transport or not ,do not now even vaguely resemble what was the case in the late eighties,so no comment from then is worth considering.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 11:59:42 »

...the sound of an MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engine under a 800/802 is a world away from the sound, vibration and smell of a Cummins QSK19 under a 180/22x.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of travelling from Bristol to Bridgwater and back on short-formed ex-HST (High Speed Train) sets - and it really was a pleasure! I was trying to put my finger on why this experience was so much better than the previous DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s - and then I read MarkHopwood's post, and it was obvious.

It is odd how we've almost tuned out the hideousness of vibrating internal combustion engines; we live with their soul-destroying awfulness and hardly even notice. The motors in the IETs (Intercity Express Train) are without doubt a lot better than their wheezy grumbling predecessors, but I can't help noticing how my spirits lift somewhere east of Chippenham when they shut down... is it just me?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 12:38:57 »

Good grief! What rubbish!

The point I made about the 2+7 HSTs (High Speed Train) back in 2009 or whenever was they had no catering capability at all pretty much. IETs (Intercity Express Train) have kitchens and full capability to support a trolley. So please don’t go scraping the barrel of previous quotes in a desperate bid to prove I said something that suits you. Fundamentally, we are selling more items from the trolley today than from the HST buffets this time last year.

As far as underfloor DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) are concerned. The IET is an electric train with diesel capability and the fact they spend varying proportions of time on diesel but quite significant time on electric changes the goalposts. The other thing is that the sound of an MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engine under a 800/802 is a world away from the sound, vibration and smell of a Cummins QSK19 under a 180/22x.

That said I’d prefer to see more electrification!

Goodness knows what I said in 1989 that will get dragged onto this site to make some point shortly ... !

Whilst the world has indeed changed in the intervening years, I am not convinced that if DMUs with underfloor engines were considered unsuitable for long distance routes 10 or 20 years ago, that they have now become suitable.
I am well aware that the IETs can also use electric power, but they ARE equipped with underfloor engines, and ARE propelled thereby for the great majority of a journey to Plymouth or beyond.

Likewise on train length, If 5 car Adelantes were considered inadequate years ago, I am not convinced that 5 car IETs are now suitable.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 12:45:05 »

Good point regarding the 2+7 HST (High Speed Train)'s when they were trolley only.  You had practically no storage for supplies at all IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), just a modified toilet at the end of Coach A.  Certainly no fridges or anything like that - the potential for which I showed a couple of weeks ago with my image upload on this thread: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=21918

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 17:48:40 »

Whilst the world has indeed changed in the intervening years, I am not convinced that if DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) with underfloor engines were considered unsuitable for long distance routes 10 or 20 years ago, that they have now become suitable.
I am well aware that the IETs (Intercity Express Train) can also use electric power, but they ARE equipped with underfloor engines, and ARE propelled thereby for the great majority of a journey to Plymouth or beyond.

Likewise on train length, If 5 car Adelantes were considered inadequate years ago, I am not convinced that 5 car IETs are now suitable.

Remember the original plan was to have a lot of electric only units, with bi-mode for those services which extended beyond Swansea, Bristol, or on the Cotswold Lines.  That made sense at the time, and it's only because Network Fail completely cocked up the electrification for reasons that are outside this discussion that we have ended up with an all bi-mode stock.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the engine noise actually, but then I was expecting something similar to a Voyager, so my expectations were very low.  I don't think Joe (or Josephine) Public cares one jot about the engine noise in an IET if I'm honest.The toilets don't smell like Voyagers either, and you don't get an imprint of the seat in front embedded in your knees after anything but a short journey. There's just no comparison in the two types of train.

I do agree with you that there are too many 5 coach sets, but come back to the point (as per buffets) that I think you've made the point so many times that I'm not sure why you feel the need to say it again (and again, and again....) 
MarkHopwood

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 03:54:57 »

Ultimately this is about the passenger. Most passengers have no philosophical position on underfloor Diesel engines - they want a quiet, comfortable journey. I’ve travelled with many people who have struggled on an IET (Intercity Express Train) to know if the engines are running or not. It’s a completely different world to older DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).

In addition, if you have any form of locomotive or power unit you loose huge numbers of seats. Paddington station would require massive track layout changes and extended platforms to accommodate more than a ten car set. If we had a power car each end of, say, eight carriages we would loose about 140 standard class seats.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 07:45:23 »

Ultimately this is about the passenger. Most passengers have no philosophical position on underfloor Diesel engines - they want a quiet, comfortable journey. I’ve travelled with many people who have struggled on an IET (Intercity Express Train) to know if the engines are running or not. It’s a completely different world to older DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).

In addition, if you have any form of locomotive or power unit you loose huge numbers of seats. Paddington station would require massive track layout changes and extended platforms to accommodate more than a ten car set. If we had a power car each end of, say, eight carriages we would loose about 140 standard class seats.

I am one who has traveled in IETs and have struggled to know if the engine's are on or not.  I agree with Mark on this.  The only problem I have with the IETs is the seats are a bit hard. They are OK on the short Swindon - Paddington Journey, but if I was going to Penzance I would need to take a cushion!  I do hope they are better on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) Azumas (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER).   
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 09:42:39 »

Quote from: ellendune
I do hope they are better on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) Azumas (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER).   

I found them even harder, but I have been told that's just my imagination, as they are exactly the same as on the GWR (Great Western Railway) sets.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 12:19:27 »

I do hope they are better on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) Azumas (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER).   

I found them even harder, but I have been told that's just my imagination, as they are exactly the same as on the GWR (Great Western Railway) sets.

Or because the distances are further?
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 14:49:47 »

Or because the distances are further?

That wasn't the case when I used them on my recent 14 day all line rover - just to and from Kings Cross, Newark and Leeds.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 15:21:15 »

As I have previously stated, I would forgive or at least forget the underfloor engines of an IET (Intercity Express Train) if the trains were otherwise of proper intercity specification.
The present offering feels like a local train.

I accept that we can not live in the past and understand that a certain amount of downgrading is unavoidable when new trains are introduced. IETs however contain so many backward steps.

No buffet, arguably just about acceptable if the trolley was provided reliably, frequently, and in both portions of the train, even on Sundays.
Fewer tables, and yes I know this is better than the downgraded high density HSTs (High Speed Train), but I can remember when HSTs had 16 tables per coach. and when mark 2 coaches had almost all seats at tables.
Shorter trains. Single 5 car units are still appearing all too often in place of a 9 car or a pair of 5 car units. Whilst this might get better in time, we have had a couple of years of routine short formations.
Hard seats, simply nasty.
Unreliable reservations
Unreliable toilets.
And underfloor engines, which together with the above makes the whole thing feel like a regional DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) and not an inter-city train.

I apologise for again posting about buffets, and will avoid frequently posting about this.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 18:00:00 »

I apologise for again posting about buffets, and will avoid frequently posting about this.

We can but hope.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: