I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:59:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HoW December 19 Timetable  (Read 16512 times)
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2019, 20:16:51 »

I have been looking at the (draft) Dec 19 timetables on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) with my particular interest in Heart of Wessex services. I was expecting little change as predicted and that is largely the case. I have not yet looked at WSB» (Westbury - next trains) connections.

Those party animals in Trowbridge, Westbury and Frome will now get more drinking time. The late service now leaves BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) at 23.45, FRO» (Frome - next trains) 00.45. Good in some respects, less so in others! SWI» (Swindon - next trains) residents not too jealous please.

The more serious issue is the missing 20.21 WEY-BRI on Mo-Fr. I sincerely hope this is an error since otherwise we have a major service reduction. It does seem incredible that the last service will now apparently be at 17.23 which is slightly earlier than currently. Although not usually busy this service clearly provides a public good. Young people often travel Dorchester to Maiden Newton after a social night or study night. Travellers heading West will change at Castle Cary. I can and possibly will list more later.

I have congratulated GWR (Great Western Railway) on running the current service at a reasonable time, allowing some evening activity in Weymouth, Dorchester or Yeovil. This is better than the BR (British Rail(ways)) post-Beeching offer which was at 19.33 in a loco-hauled mail train timing.

The other strange issue is that the three inbound evening trains to WEY, all still run apparently delivering an "extra" set to WEY.

The only mitigating factor is the late SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service from Castle Cary  to WSB/SAL but this does not address the main market.
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 19:12:46 »

So many thanks to Timmer in another thread for waving the magic wand and reinstating the later Mo-Fr evening service WEY-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)/GCR» (Gloucester - next trains). I can assure everyone that this service was not in the RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) listing (along the route) last Sunday or early Monday evening. I looked several times.

The timing for this revised service at 20.15 is shown as a Class 150, not a 158 as current. So the journey is about 5 mins longer to WSB» (Westbury - next trains). Mind you the 158 timings nearly always get delayed now - for no apparent reason of hold-ups or excess passengers. As the departure is now closer to the previous arrival at 20.06, let us hope there is no waiting around for a delayed incomer just to give the WSB crew a lift back home. The 20.21/20.15 train is normally formed from the previous incoming unit.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 19:56:01 »

So many thanks to Timmer in another thread for waving the magic wand and reinstating the later Mo-Fr evening service WEY-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)/GCR» (Gloucester - next trains). I can assure everyone that this service was not in the RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) listing (along the route) last Sunday or early Monday evening. I looked several times.

The timing for this revised service at 20.15 is shown as a Class 150, not a 158 as current. So the journey is about 5 mins longer to WSB» (Westbury - next trains). Mind you the 158 timings nearly always get delayed now - for no apparent reason of hold-ups or excess passengers. As the departure is now closer to the previous arrival at 20.06, let us hope there is no waiting around for a delayed incomer just to give the WSB crew a lift back home. The 20.21/20.15 train is normally formed from the previous incoming unit.

The 2021 is formed off the previous but one ex Great Malvern.    The 1640 ex Gloucester is the previous one which shunts out of the way.    There are still many things to be tidied up regarding the December Timetable which cannot be reliably relied on until it has been released into the Journey Planner.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 22:56:21 »

One thing which does not help with plans for a higher frequency on the HoW(resolve) route is the fact that SWR» (South Western Railway - about) also serve Yeovil Pen Mill, Castle Cary, Bruton, Frome and Westbury. There will be a couple of extra SWR services through those stations will be higher once the new timetable kicks in on 16th December. For comparison, on Mondays to Fridays:

20th November:
To Salisbury and / or Waterloo, via. Yeovil Jcn: 0541 (WL), 1238 (YJ), 1344 (WL), 1432 (YJ), 1544 (WL), 2030 (YJ), 2130 (YJ)
To Salisbury and / or Waterloo, via. Castle Cary: 0655 (WL), 1045 (WL), 1453 (WL), 1646 (WL), 1926 (WB)

16th December:
To Salisbury and / or Waterloo, via. Yeovil Jcn: 0541 (WL), 0711 (WL), 1238 (YJ), 1344 (WL), 1544 (WL), 1635 (YJ), 2030 (YJ)
To Salisbury and / or Waterloo, via. Castle Cary: 0655 (SY), 1045 (SY), 1450 (SY), 1646 (WL), 1926 (WB)

SY: To Salisbury | WB: To Westbury | WL: To Waterloo | YJ: To Yeovil Junction
1926 Yeovil Pen Mill - Westbury commences London Waterloo at 1650.

The new SWR timetable for Yeovil Pen Mill trips has 5 Waterloo journeys, so no change there, and 2 on Sundays (currently none).

Good that SWR are trying to fill the gaps left by GWR (Great Western Railway) and providing some connections between Yeovil Junction and Yeovil Pen Mill.

Dave

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 23:11:14 by DaveHarries » Logged
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 09:42:28 »

I'm a bit puzzled as you say a couple of extra trips, but there seems to be exactly the same number shown, although at different times.

I agree that it's good that SWR» (South Western Railway - about) is trying to fill some gaps, although if that prevents development of an hourly through service to Weymouth then I'm not sure it is for the greater good.  I wonder what the motives really are of SWR, maybe it's more to do with nibbling a bit of revenue from GWR (Great Western Railway) through the fare allocation process (ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services)?)
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 16:20:10 »

The SWR» (South Western Railway - about) foray into GWR (Great Western Railway) territory started a couple of years ago when the company converted ecs  into passenger workings. The ecstatics working had the advantage of keeping route knowledge of the train crews and presumably the change to passenger meant some additional income for minimal outlay.
From December SWR will have a crew base at Yeovil Junction and a couple of sets will stable there overnight.
As regards the hourly service to Weymouth, I am not sure if that would have materialised in the short term. One key limiter is the single line from Castle Cary to Weymouth.

The Wessex Route Study Final 210815 has this to say (p114)

5.7.71 The line connecting Weymouth to Bristol is known as the Heart of Wessex Line. Although the section of the line between Castle Cary and Dorchester West is part of the Wessex Route this line has been assessed in more detail by the Western Route Study.
5.7.72 The Western Route Study suggests that one train per hour is operated between Bristol Temple Meads and Yeovil Pen Mill increasing the current frequency on this section from around one train per two hours Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth. Every other hour one of these services would extend to Weymouth therefore maintaining the current level of services on the southern section of the line.
5.7.73 The Yeovil Pen Mill terminating service could be extended to Yeovil Junction to improve connectivity with the West of England Line but this is likely to require the re-instatement of Platform 3 at Yeovil Junction for passenger use.

The use of the line north of Yeovil Pen Mill would need three more signal sections than currently provided (p112-3)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: