Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:30:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "Meet the Managing Director" - a follow up  (Read 9389 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 06, 2019, 06:26:35 »

The questions asked at last night's (5th August 2019) "Meet the Managing Director" session were as follows (quick links to each included):

1. Future "Meet the Manager" sessions at major stations? - http://gwr.passenger.chat/22017
2. Decarbonising local railways - http://gwr.passenger.chat/22018
3. Trolley service on IETs (Intercity Express Train) - http://gwr.passenger.chat/22019
4. When things go wrong... - http://gwr.passenger.chat/22020
5. Are the jobs of train guards secure? - http://gwr.passenger.chat/22021
6. Finally: Three wishes! - http://gwr.passenger.chat/22022

A big "Thank You" to Mark Hopwood and his team at GWR (Great Western Railway) for taking part in the session - and doing so enthusiatically, and with full and open answers.  A big "Thank you" to our moderators / admin team (especially Tim, Bob and Chris) for all the work put in before and during the event to have it run so well and so positively. And a big, big "Thank You" to you the members and readers for submitting the questions, commenting during the sessions and reading what was written - again all with a very positive approach.

"How did we do?"

Too early to give full feedback - but what I hear and read is very positive.  A first image - overnght from Google Analytics showing the number of users day by day to the Coffee Shop site - averagiing around 430 but up to 721 yesterday. 

Solid line - last month. Dashed line - previous month

What next?

The Coffee Shop's database of discussions forms a useful archive - with new arrivals coming to read later what has been said, and how discussions continue.  As I write, there have been 1979 views (in total) of the six individual question threads and I woud expect that number to grow. We'll continue to monitor the threads activey for a week or so, and we'll also look to have answers provided on the forum to subjects our members asked us to raise, but for which there wasn't time or any for which the answer might better come from other industry, government or political sources.

Again - a big, big "Thank You" to everyone.  Although the live session is completed, the process of communication for better tuned provision, positive partnership and informed passengers continues.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:38:41 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:36:24 »

And a Thank You to you Grahame, for organising it all and hosting it on your website/system.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 09:55:34 »

One thing for review - whether questions should be anonymous, in the name of transparency?
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 10:28:42 »

If the buffet/ trolley question had been submitted anonymously , we would still have known who made the submission ! Tongue
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:11:19 by chuffed » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 10:49:50 »

well, yes.....but Mark might not have, for example
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 11:45:00 »

And of course, the same general question may well have been asked by a number of people with the actual wording arranged to cover them all.
MarkHopwood

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 13:50:34 »

Mark would have !
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 17:29:16 »

Mark would have !
Cheesy Well you have to give him high marks out of 10 for his persistence and belief in having a buffet stating the case both on this and other forums.

But times have changed with regards to catering and customer needs so we need to move on.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 17:35:35 »

But times have changed with regards to catering and customer needs so we need to move on.

Broadly speaking, yes!

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 17:36:19 »

If the buffet/ trolley question had been submitted anonymously , we would still have known who made the submission ! Tongue

I wonder whom it could have been  Smiley

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 17:49:43 »

Returning to the more general issue as to whether questions should be anonymous or not, I have no strong feelings either way.
There is a lot to be said for transparency, but on the other hand, publishing the name of the questioner could be misleading, when the question might incorporate elements of similar but not identical questions from several members.
If attributed to one particular member, they might have reason to complain "I never said that"

The other reason for publishing the name of the questioner is to deter rude, libellous, profane, or otherwise improper  remarks. Not applicable in this case as the questions were reviewed before submission.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 18:57:52 »

I don't see any need for it.  Even if I was to be informed that Broadgage, or Timmer, or TonyK had submitted a particular question I don't know them personally, and they are not accountable to anyone, so it make no difference.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 18:59:41 »

Can I say how welcome it is that Mark has continued to follow up some of the discussions today in a supportive and constructive way. It certainly makes me feel even more that the session has been useful and positive rather than just being a PR (Public Relations) exercise, and that Mark is listening to all our points, even if he can't commit to take on board all of them.  
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 19:07:59 »

I second those comments from Celestial. I cannot help thinking that this is the way forward, and that this online M the M should be repeated regularly. I feel it has achieved far more already, than any number of  face to face meetings might have accomplished. The choice of questions were spot on...well done the moderator team.... and I was pleased to see that Mark was able to give detailed and robust responses even if I didn't always like the answer !
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 19:12:58 »

The forum names of the person who asked each question are known to the people who chose / seeded them (that's a couple of the admin / moderator team) ... and in practise most of the admin / moderator team, and question asking members, have been around here long enough to be well known. The questions were good ones and I don't think it really matters / mattered who put them - indeed it could be considered far better to get a wider interest response than to a particular individual.  Happy with that.  

I know who asked one question (based on a comment that questioner made in the follow up that took possession), I'm pretty sure I know who asked another, and I was involved in a group which asked a third.  Beyond that, I don't know and I'm happy with that.  We *would* have an audit trail if needed, and (subject to the member's agreement) we would put them directly in touch if further background data was needed to clarify or follow up the question.  

In summary - happy with the approach we took.  A couple of "fine tuning" things / learning points from the session as a whole.

Can I say how welcome it is that Mark has continued to follow up some of the discussions today in a supportive and constructive way. It certainly makes me feel even more that the session has been useful and positive rather than just being a PR (Public Relations) exercise, and that Mark is listening to all our points, even if he can't commit to take on board all of them.  

Hear, hear!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: