Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 10:22:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Okehampton
[75] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[73] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[72] Is any one attending the TWSW(friday)?
[68] The One-Way Wizzo
[53] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: South Dorset to Devon and Cornwall  (Read 6546 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 06, 2019, 13:11:45 »

From a public follow up on our Facebook Page, Meet the MD follow up post, reproduced here with permission:

I enjoy the GWR (Great Western Railway) network, especially the Southwest.  It frustrate me that the beautiful Devon and Cornwall is difficult to get to from South Dorset via Yeovil or Castle Cary for longer days out.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 13:13:14 »

From a public follow up on our Facebook Page, Meet the MD follow up post, reproduced here with permission:

I enjoy the GWR (Great Western Railway) network, especially the Southwest.  It frustrate me that the beautiful Devon and Cornwall is difficult to get to from South Dorset via Yeovil or Castle Cary for longer days out.

My initial answer:

Indeed ... by "South Dorset" are you thinking Weymouth / Portland / Dorchester / Wareham / Swanage / Bridport?

Passenger flows from most of these places have grown up eastward - Poole, Bournemouth, Southampton with a secondary flow to Yeovil. It would have been very different had the original plan for the early railway to Dorchester extended westwards ... but instead it does a sharp left there now and goes down to Weymouth. The Heart of Wessex line has a sporadic service and connections westwards on the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) or GWR main lines are pretty random and (sadly for you) will not be a connection given priority in the timetable recast in December ...nor I suspect in the future, with the SNTBs (Sub-national Transport Board) of Western Peninsular looking at transport in Somerset, Devon and Cornwall, and Western Gateway looking at BPC, Dorset, Wiltshire excluding Swindon, and the wider Bristol area and Gloucestershire.

Suggestion - an interesting topic to discuss at http://gwr.passenger.chat/b19 - sister forum to this page - where we have lots of experts (and lots of opinions!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 13:18:02 »

Suggestion - an interesting topic to discuss at http://gwr.passenger.chat/b19 - sister forum to this page - where we have lots of experts (and lots of opinions!)

A follow up from the original poster - which illustrated just how hard it is to format long responses on Facebook ... so I have made some editorial amends:

Thanks for this. Yes, At some point toward the New Forest you would travel via Southampton. My twice hourly service from Hamworthy allows better connections into the up wey - yeo / c Cary services.

At it best I use the 0803 from Hamworthy into the 0853 from Weymouth, are Yom 0934, Just missed the 0939 to Exeter st David's, So it 1143 Arr. Via c Cary it better 1116. The bus service in Yeovil now involve 2 buses between the two stations via the bus station. My return journey, 2025 from st David's are the 2128, Taxi over to Yom, couple of beers in hotel then the 2223 d w, walkies to ds where it connects with the 2310 wey to the lovely HAMWORTHY.

I go on the internet to keep up to date on SERUG who want to see train units attach and detach at yj instead of Salisbury for London and other destinations. As soon as Weymouth was mentioned I joined. To work out what the problem was, A quick word with Barry Doe and it's signalling for the attachment, So come on Network Rail. Any chance for a longer day in the Southwest attached to a London unit.

This saga has been going on for at least 40 years of my life. As we approach Dec 19, reliable contacts and web info I have no doubt that HAMWORTHY is to take the a hit. My gateway to the rail network via Southampton and I am sure my twice hourly service to the West.

Looking forward to Taunton in October. CHEERS.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 16:45:34 »

There are the X51 & X53 buses which run from Dorchester and Weymouth respectively to Axminster via Bridport and Lyme Regis.  Most of these give a reasonable connection into the Waterloo to Exeter service

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 11:04:35 »

There are the X51 & X53 buses which run from Dorchester and Weymouth respectively to Axminster via Bridport and Lyme Regis.  Most of these give a reasonable connection into the Waterloo to Exeter service

Just been following up ... Wareham / Hamworthy / Holton Heath area to Exeter
Google suggests ... train, bus, train  - 3 hours 22 minutes via Dorchester and Axminster
National Express offers  - 2 hours 40 minutes on the (daily) National Express coach
Trainline - purely trains - offers a typical journey time of 3 hours 47 minutes
For those with their own vehicle, Google came up with 2 hours exactly, 74 miles.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: