Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:07:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Annual outrage.............  (Read 8131 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2019, 18:14:44 »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/fury-at-aboveinflation-100-kick-in-the-teeth-on-rail-tickets-after-summer-of-delays-a4206551.html
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 20:50:47 »

You missed the link on that page to this "shock - horror" story too !

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/easyjet-passenger-pictured-sitting-on-backless-seat-during-flight-a4206671.html
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 21:29:12 »

So ... predictable as a story ...

Commuters were today facing inflation-busting rail fare rises on services still blighted by delays, cancellations and overcrowding.

Increases of about 2.7 per cent are due in January under the controversial ticket-pricing policy for Britain’s rail network.

Such a rise, which is significantly higher than the rate of CPI inflation, would add more than £100 to the season tickets of hundreds of thousands of workers from London’s commuter belt. For travellers from Guildford, Crawley and St Albans it would jump by £103, from Stevenage £104, Chelmsford £110, Farnham £112, and Horsham, £113, according to figures from the Campaign for Better Transport.

etc

Just because it's predictable (and I predict a rerun in January) doesn't mean I'm saying it's right ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 08:57:48 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49331238

Looks like it will be 2.8%. More than my pay rise yet again Sad
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 18:33:13 »

Are UK (United Kingdom) train fares the highest in Europe? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49346642

Useful, if somewhat brief, comparison. In summary, UK at or near the highest fares BUT the least subsidised. Anyone know of more detailed research?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 22:37:01 »

Are UK (United Kingdom) train fares the highest in Europe? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49346642

Useful, if somewhat brief, comparison. In summary, UK at or near the highest fares BUT the least subsidised. Anyone know of more detailed research?

You could try this report: "Study on the prices and quality of rail passenger services". It was done in 2016 for the European Commission by Steer Davies Gleave, whose previous work on railways in the UK should at least guarantee that gets covered fully. But ... it's 236 pages, so I'm not sure exactly what's in most of it!

Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 07:25:41 »

Thanks Stuving.....as you observed, a bit too detailed!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 07:39:54 »

The table at the end quotes the average fair per km as 0.21 (Euro) which is nearly the highest. I have not problem with paying that amount.  It is the extraordinary range in prices per mile or per km or per mile - like Swindon and Kemble that is the problem. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 13:59:46 »

I would expect fares to rise in line with inflation, and don't mind paying a bit more for actual improvements. Unfortunately, I and many others consider that things have not improved recently, and on GWR (Great Western Railway) have actually got worse in many respects.

We keep hearing how efficient the IETs (Intercity Express Train) are without space wasted on features previously provided on intercity trains, so should not fares be reduced without all that wasted space ?
Likewise we hear how efficient it is to run a pair of 5 car units between London and Plymouth, with a single unit west of Plymouth. Presumably this great improvement in efficiency should be reflected in reduced fares.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 16:17:06 »

When the new timetable is introduced there will be 300000 extra IET (Intercity Express Train) seats to sell each year, or about 6000 a week, so I would imagine there will be quite a few more cheaper advance fares to be had.  That’s what we’ve been told anyway.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 16:26:01 »

I would expect fares to rise in line with inflation, and don't mind paying a bit more for actual improvements.

Staff costs are at least 25% of all railway costs. Until their wage rises are linked to CPI% inflation, there is not a cat in hell's chance of fares being linked to that inflation fugure.

For the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) to com[plain about these rises is completely hypocritical, when they insist on staff rises above RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))%.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 16:47:07 »

I would expect fares to rise in line with inflation, and don't mind paying a bit more for actual improvements.

Staff costs are at least 25% of all railway costs. Until their wage rises are linked to CPI% inflation, there is not a cat in hell's chance of fares being linked to that inflation fugure.

For the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) to com[plain about these rises is completely hypocritical, when they insist on staff rises above RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))%.

Oh help - I grabbed this yesterday evening when I was looking at RoSCo profits ... and didn't note my source.  Will edit in if I find it. Useful here to confirm that 25p in the pound, even if yesterday's interest was the 13p for train leasing!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 22:23:17 »

When the new timetable is introduced there will be 300000 extra IET (Intercity Express Train) seats to sell each year, or about 6000 a week, so I would imagine there will be quite a few more cheaper advance fares to be had.  That’s what we’ve been told anyway.

Here's hoping.

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 22:24:21 »

8p going to the government! I thought they subsidised the railways.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 23:09:10 »

8p going to the government! I thought they subsidised the railways.

Without knowing anything at all about that graphic or its basis, you could say that:
1. much of the subsidy goes to Network rail, for things that could never be called new infrastructure
2. a subsidy to a TOC (Train Operating Company) could be added in as negative outgoings, but the alternative argument is that it's not received as part of the fare so can't be part of the breakdown of fares income
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: