Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:36:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vale of Berkeley Railway to reopen for passenger heritage use?  (Read 5321 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2019, 17:43:05 »

A Beeching casualty, but still intact thanks to the nuclear flask trains from now closed Berkeley power station, could reopen. From Punchline-Gloucester.com:

All aboard! New heritage railway set to open in Gloucestershire
By James Young | 8th August 2019

A new heritage railway could soon be steaming in to action in the south of Gloucestershire.

The Vale of Berkeley Railway have submitted plans to Stroud District Council to build two stations on the former Sharpness Branch line.

The line, which was taken out of passenger service during the Beeching cuts of the 1960s has remained intact since.

However, since then the only rolling stock to use the track are nuclear flask carrying trains who serviced the Berkeley power station.

But the volunteer-run railway, who currently operate out of an old engine shed at Sharpness Docks have now submitted plans to build stations at both Sharpness and Berkeley.

Both stations would be fairly simple, with raised platforms to the western and southern edge of the railway. Both would have a small covered shelter and accessible toilets.

Car parking spaces with associated pathways are also included in the plans.

The Vale of Berkeley railway was established in 2013 with the aim of bringing the line from Sharpness to Berekely Road back into life.

The aim is to put in place a loop to allow engines to turn at Berkeley Pad, to create a viable two-way railway between Sharpness and Berkeley.

The railway has charitable status and its website states: "Our aim is to reopen the Sharpness branch line, in Gloucestershire, to passengers as a heritage railway tourist attraction.

We have established an engineering facility based in the old Engine Shed by the docks in order to restore heritage locomotives, rolling stock and other suitable items from a by-gone era and to serve as an initial base for the Vale of Berkeley Railway.

"Eventually we hope to restore the original Sharpness station site, and start up a Heritage Railway operation towards Berkeley."

The station at Berkeley was last used in 1960, while the newtown station in Sharpness hasn't served passengers since the late 1800s.

The application reference for Newtown station is 19/1447/FUL, and for Berkeley station 19/1448/FUL.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 17:51:31 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 20:00:58 »

They have been going at Sharpness for some years, and it will be interesting to see if the station plans and running trains actually comes to pass.

However, if it does come to pass, what do the learned here think of the possibility of a Berkeley Road reopening as an interchange? Cam & Dursley is close by but not close enough to facilitate an easy walk - especially down the A38.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 21:58:47 »

I heard someone give a talk about this a year or two ago. He said their long term desire is to see scheduled services running through to Gloucester.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 23:54:45 »

I heard someone give a talk about this a year or two ago. He said their long term desire is to see scheduled services running through to Gloucester.

I suppose Lydney is out of the question!?  Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 00:10:20 »

Lydney possible via Gloucester; I think there's a bridge out on the old direct line.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 00:35:46 »

The VoB railway does have very close links to the Dean Forest Railway and they have been getting permanent way experience helping them out. A couple of years ago I spoke to Mike Hoskin, who started the group, who speculated that they might, in the future, try to run specials between the two heritage railways but that was some way off.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 09:00:35 »

Ah well, a few more years ago I went to a talk by someone else (nothing to do with VoB or FoD or any other railway, a local historian type) suggesting that the Severn Bridge disaster might not have been unwelcome to the rail authorities of the time. Purely circumstantial evidence, of course.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 09:51:09 »

Lydney possible via Gloucester; I think there's a bridge out on the old direct line.

A rather large bridge over the Severn and a Swing Bridge over the canal. But the base for the swing bridge is still there!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 12:42:47 »

Ah well, a few more years ago I went to a talk by someone else (nothing to do with VoB or FoD or any other railway, a local historian type) suggesting that the Severn Bridge disaster might not have been unwelcome to the rail authorities of the time. Purely circumstantial evidence, of course.

And I'm sure this is something I've read or heard of sometime in the past. The only sort of evidence I can see to back this is that the damaged section of the bridge was very short in comparison to it's full length yet the decision was made to remove it. What didn't help was that even more pier damage was caused later on by another collision so perhaps it was the changed nature of estuary traffic at the time which might also have factored in the decision making process.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 12:51:24 »

Our bloke made a big thing of how it just happened to occur while the bridge was closed for maintenance and also something about the gas pipeline running along the bridge: I can't remember now whether it was that the fire was more intense than would have been expected if the gas had been turned off as supposed to be (though of course the barges were carrying fuel), or that the gas pipe definitely hadn't been turned off despite the bridge being closed for maintenance. The coincidence of timing came out a bit conspiratorial TBH (to be honest). I wouldn't like to think the crew who died were victims of an underhand railway cost-cutting exercise.  Shocked

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 20:57:06 »

And I'm sure this is something I've read or heard of sometime in the past. The only sort of evidence I can see to back this is that the damaged section of the bridge was very short in comparison to it's full length yet the decision was made to remove it. What didn't help was that even more pier damage was caused later on by another collision so perhaps it was the changed nature of estuary traffic at the time which might also have factored in the decision making process.

From a bit of internet searching, it seems that there were at least two further collisions after BR (British Rail(ways)) had decided to go ahead with the repair, the cost of which then easily outstripped that of demolition. The original collision by the two barges was by no means the first, the conditions in the Severn being frequently challenging for smaller vessels. It was just the first to cause damage and loss of life on such a scale. The bridge was originally built to take coal from the Forest of Dean. That last big mine closed in 1865 - whether the falling coal production had an impact on the need for the bridge, or the closure of the bridge made the mines uneconomic, I don't know, but that would have been a consideration, and all this taking place during the time of the Beeching report. A shame, but there we go.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: