Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:58:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Seatfrog comes to GWR  (Read 8656 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 14, 2019, 17:39:49 »

From Railway Gazette a year ago:

SEATFROG: Venture capital investor Octopus Ventures has led a £4·5m Series A funding round at Seatfrog, which has developed mobile auction technology enabling passengers to upgrade train and airline seats until the time of departure. Existing investors including Howzat Partners also participated.

Octopus Ventures partner Luke Hakes will join the Seatfrog board. ‘Having seen the impact of dynamic revenue management systems within hotels and airlines, we feel there is a very interesting opportunity in applying this approach to the multi-billion dollar train travel industry’, he said on July 9.

Seatfrog launched on the UK (United Kingdom)’s East Coast Main Line in September 2017, and now has offices in London and Sydney. ‘Every year billions of pounds in unrealised ancillary revenue passes by because of manual, fragmented legacy processes’, said co-founder and CEO (Chief Executive Officer) Iain Griffin. ‘We set out a year ago to prove there is a much better way and we’ve done that.’

Now at GWR (Great Western Railway) ... from my mailbox

Ready to bid for a First Class upgrade from just £10, Graham?   

Now you can bid for your upgrade at the price you're willing to pay with our new partner Seatfrog and the free Seatfrog app.

Simply place your bid, then let Seatfrog keep you updated during the auction with notifications, so that if you win, you can be kicking back in even greater comfort on your next high-speed GWR train journey (on selected routes)*.

Get bidding today!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 21:27:56 »

What happens if your bid is unsuccessful? Will you be charged what you bid?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 22:05:46 »

What happens if your bid is unsuccessful? Will you be charged what you bid?

Surely not .... only the winner of an auction pays.  It's not a lottery ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 22:56:50 »

Goodness me...

unrealised ancillary revenue passes by because of manual, fragmented legacy processes

How many points does that get me in Bullsh*t Bingo?  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 23:27:31 »

Indeed. If you want a lottery then try buying the cheapest valid fare for your required journey from a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine).

Case in point. A few weeks ago I wanted to buy a 1st Class Off Peak Day Return from Bedwyn to Swanley (£49.60 as at July 2019). The TVM at Bedwyn only offered the 1st Class Anytime Day Return (£109.20). Try as I might with button presses I couldn't get the TVM to offer the fare I wanted and I knew existed. So I took a chance and boarded ticketless - risking at best a Penalty Fare or at worst a Regulation of Railways Act offence. I would, of course, have argued my corner quite robustly if I had been threatened with any sort of penalty once on board. Fortunately I encountered a sympathetic train manager who willingly sold me me the fare I required.

I complained to GWR (Great Western Railway) via social media. Their response was basically that it must have been operator (ie me) error when using the TVM. Bollocks. I know my fares and I know the limitations and vagaries of TVMs. I double checked the same TVM on my return to Bedwyn. The 1st Class Off Peak Day Return fare I wanted simply wasn't available. Deliberate overcharging plain and simple.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 05:57:19 »

Indeed. If you want a lottery then try buying the cheapest valid fare for your required journey from a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine).

Case in point. A few weeks ago I wanted to buy a 1st Class Off Peak Day Return from Bedwyn to Swanley (£49.60 as at July 2019). The TVM at Bedwyn only offered the 1st Class Anytime Day Return (£109.20). Try as I might with button presses I couldn't get the TVM to offer the fare I wanted and I knew existed. So I took a chance and boarded ticketless - risking at best a Penalty Fare or at worst a Regulation of Railways Act offence. I would, of course, have argued my corner quite robustly if I had been threatened with any sort of penalty once on board. Fortunately I encountered a sympathetic train manager who willingly sold me me the fare I required.

I complained to GWR (Great Western Railway) via social media. Their response was basically that it must have been operator (ie me) error when using the TVM. Bollocks. I know my fares and I know the limitations and vagaries of TVMs. I double checked the same TVM on my return to Bedwyn. The 1st Class Off Peak Day Return fare I wanted simply wasn't available. Deliberate overcharging plain and simple.

Pragmatically, could you not have just bought the cheapest Standard class ticket and explained/excessed it on the train?

(I absolutely agree with you however about TVMs)
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 10:23:55 »

Pragmatically, could you not have just bought the cheapest Standard class ticket and explained/excessed it on the train?

Pragmatically, couldn't that still earn you a Penalty Fare if you sit in First Class with it ?   Wink
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 10:34:30 »

Pragmatically, couldn't that still earn you a Penalty Fare if you sit in First Class with it ?   Wink
I think so but what happens if you want to upgrade by excessing the fare?
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 11:29:31 »

According to the "rules" I assume you have to sit in Std Class until your ticket has been upgraded. Which goes against what the "rules" say about getting a Weekend First on the train.......perhaps you only get a Penalty Fare Mon - Fri if you sit in First with a Std ticket ?
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 12:18:19 »

According to the "rules" I assume you have to sit in Std Class until your ticket has been upgraded. Which goes against what the "rules" say about getting a Weekend First on the train.......perhaps you only get a Penalty Fare Mon - Fri if you sit in First with a Std ticket ?

I remember TMs(resolve) announcing the upgrade and telling passengers to “make their way down to coaches (etc) and will make their way through shortly.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 18:17:09 »

Earlier this year I had a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) problem at Victoria.  The SE side TVMs were not accepting cards but would sell me the cheapest ticket to Dover.  The  central side TVMs were accepting cards but would not give me, whatever I tried, the cheapest ticket to Dover.  This within the same station.  Fortunately |i had enough cash on me for the fare.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
t0m

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 18:10:15 »

Has anyone tried Seatfrog yet? I'm a season ticket holder and tempted to try it for a trip from Paddington.. but curious how much the seats end up going for. Is it effectively an upgrade for £10 if nobody bids against me and there is space on the train?
njt

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 18:39:57 »

I’ve done it today for a trip from Westbury to Cornwall on the 1503 ex Paddington.  Got the upgrade for £11 on top of a £32 Advance Fare.

On the service I am on there are some seats reserved from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to PNZ that state Seatfrog on the reservation label in the seat back.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 07:42:58 »

Best announcement I ever heard from the TM(resolve) was on approaching Paddington was if you require a weekend first class upgrade,today(saturday).

Please do not attempt to purchase weekend upgrades when you make your return journey at the booking office

Buy them on the train,as the booking office will not sell them to you if you are about to make your journey back home.

Maybe a big sign in the B/Offices to that effect could be displayed.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 08:16:11 »

Best announcement I ever heard from the TM(resolve) was on approaching Paddington was if you require a weekend first class upgrade,today(saturday).

Please do not attempt to purchase weekend upgrades when you make your return journey at the booking office

Buy them on the train,as the booking office will not sell them to you if you are about to make your journey back home.

Maybe a big sign in the B/Offices to that effect could be displayed.
You used to be able to buy weekend first at the ticket office when you purchased your travel tickets. I can only think the reason this was stopped was when First class was reduced making it even more a case of 'subject to availability'.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: