16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 05:53:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: IET internal modifications to make them more buggy friendly  (Read 11510 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2019, 10:27:49 »

Create space maybe for *collapsed* buggies free of charge a la II's idea, but if their owners don't want to colapse, then a further ticket necessary as they'll take up similar space to a seat. That'll make 'em think.
nf260

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2020, 22:31:49 »

Hi everyone

I found this forum after searching online about pushchairs and trains. I have just returned from a 6 hour train journey (of which about 3 1/2 hours was on GWR (Great Western Railway)) with a 1 1/2 year old, and I think the pushchair policy is a disgrace.

To those saying that they can be folded - you have obviously never travelled with a young child who needs to sleep at unpredictable times (and makes quite a fuss if they don't manage it!).

To those saying pay for it - I'd be happy if I could actually sit in the seat I already paid for. Instead I spent several hours on recent journeys sitting on the floor by the doors, because this is the only place where I can keep the pushchair reclined. Meanwhile my reserved seat in the middle of the train was unoccupied.

Train travel needs to remain a realistic option for families with young children. For what its worth, I think the original suggestion in the thread is a good one.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 00:09:08 »

Thanks nf260 and welcome to the forum.  The "That'll make 'em think" attitude quite frankly stinks.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2020, 07:29:34 »

Hi everyone

I found this forum after searching online about pushchairs and trains. I have just returned from a 6 hour train journey (of which about 3 1/2 hours was on GWR (Great Western Railway)) with a 1 1/2 year old, and I think the pushchair policy is a disgrace.

Welcome to the forum - hope you found the comments "up-thread" useful in helping to fill you in on issues and points of view, if (sadly) not really leading to a consensus view, let alone an agreed solution. I hope you're now recovered after the journey and got a good night's sleep - that's assuming that (s)he sleeps through!

On one hand, the "bean counters" are all about numbers of seats these days and that leaves little / less space for cycles, dogs, baby carriages (please forgive the old-fashioned word - I want to be all-encompassing) .  But on the other hand they're all about the provision of facilities for those who are in wheelchairs; that does not include, though, those who are too young to be self-mobile yet.

Some of the suggestions for modifications made earlier are sensible.  Best use could and should be made of wheelchair spaces and seats near them for all those for whom they can make travel an acceptable experience ... with (perhaps) more such spaces added over time as trains are refitted during their life - but with the IETs (Intercity Express Train) being so new, and the rail industry being so fast (not!) at doing things, that will be far too far in the future for your (or rather this) child.

It does sound as if the booking system could do with some tweaking, and perhaps even the fares and pricing?  Pretty useless having a seat reserved in the midst of the "airline" section if you need to keep the pushchair up.  We are due a fare system shakeup and one of the considerations should be passenger's needs; I worry about the law of unintended consequences, and of replacing one set of complex and obscure directives with another set that's different, but just as complex and obscure.

Train travel needs to remain a realistic option for families with young children. For what its worth, I think the original suggestion in the thread is a good one.

Indeed - and perhaps more so into the future.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 12:09:03 »

The first thiong GWR (Great Western Railway) needs to do is to have a seat selector as part of the booking process on their website. It seems that not to do sao is a Firstgroup 'initiative', as none of their franchises do.

However, When Avanti (First's takeover of Virgin West Coast franchise) removed the seat selector from a rebranded Virgin booking engine, it raised many complaints - such that they are tweeting that they are looking into providing one....so if Abanti do this, maybe their other franchises can be 'persuaded'.

Then it'll really be down to the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) to persuade their franchises to provide more of the wheelchair-type spaces for reservation by prams, I guess as it will mean a loss of standard seats to provide the space. The problem then becomes that the extra legroom provided will be attractive to all customers, not just those with prams.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2020, 04:42:21 »

A piece in "Conservative Woman" this morning ... I was about to follow up here but the whole question was so much wider than IET (Intercity Express Train) that I've started a new thread ... http://www.passenger.chat/22723

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: