Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:27:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Taxi drivers cancel strike  (Read 7098 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:42:28 »

Being posted in this section as most of the passenger arrivals at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) come from London.

Network rail want the amount of licence's for Taxi's to be reduce from 241 to 188(I think I got the numbers right)

Didn't know there was a strike planned until I listened to radio bristol on Tuesday morning.NOW CANCELLED

Could I suggest all the taxi's queuing up for fares to have their "standing" moved to the left outside the taxi cafe.

Then the 6/7/8 could go over by the old airport pick up point

Maybe at the bottom of the incline the turn left sign could be a flashing yellow amber so you could turn left towards the Bath and Wells roads
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:59:51 »

Being posted in this section as most of the passenger arrivals at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) come from London.

Network rail want the amount of licence's for Taxi's to be reduce from 241 to 188(I think I got the numbers right)

Didn't know there was a strike planned until I listened to radio bristol on Tuesday morning.NOW CANCELLED

Could I suggest all the taxi's queuing up for fares to have their "standing" moved to the left outside the taxi cafe.

Maybe at the bottom of the incline the turn left sign could be a flashing yellow amber so you could turn left towards the Bath and Wells roads

When was the last time you were at Bristols' Temple Mead station ?
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 09:13:54 »

Rubbish, how about all the commuters and travellers from the Gloucester line stations and North thereof, the South West line from Taunton and stations to Bristol, the Severn Beach line, from Cardiff, Newport and stations (including Pilning) to Bristol, from Keynsham, Oldfield Park, Bath and stations to both Swindon and Westbury.

Don't sadly join the growing band of folk who open their mouths before their brain is engaged.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 13:16:59 »

I  take exception to your comments.

Would you say the things to me that you have if we were stood in front of me?

If you care to have a listen to radio bristol from tuesdays morning show,

you would hear the spokesman for the taxis drivers saying that most of their custom

comes off the trains from London.

Would you like to apologise for your comments?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 14:04:45 »

Gentlemen, six of one and half a dozen of the other??? Please - let's not let it get personal, and if we think it has got personal, not respond in any similar vein.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 14:09:25 »

Being strictly neutral (so thereby probably annoying everybody...) I do not recall ever getting into a taxi to find the driver ask me where I've come from, or indeed telling the driver unprompted where I've come from.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 14:23:31 »

Gentlemen, six of one and half a dozen of the other???

It really doesn't read like that. martyjon came over as unnecessarily abrupt. My reading is that infoman was right to take exception and seek an apology.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 15:05:43 »

Play nicely please chaps and let's move On thankyou.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 16:16:38 »

I'm curious about the premise for this strike. Hadn't heard anything about it and there's nothing in the local news. What are these licences that Network Rail are cutting? I can only think that this means the Station Approach Road is NR» (Network Rail - home page) property, not a public highway, and therefore NR can require a licence for taxis to pick up or hire from there. Is that it? If so, why do they want to reduce the number of taxis?

And what would the likely effects of a drivers' strike be? Presumably some disgruntled commuters, a bit more passengers on buses, but it doesn't seem entirely obvious to me that there would be any impact on rail operations unless the strike continued for several days, in which case regular travellers might make other arrangements.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 16:19:10 »

If you care to have a listen to radio bristol from tuesdays morning show, you would hear the spokesman for the taxis drivers saying that most of their custom comes off the trains from London.

Not commenting on the way the response was worded, but just to say, I don't think the first comment is in any way the same as the second comment, is it? Martyjon has a point. There will be a lot more locals arriving into BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) than ever come from London. How many then get into a taxi is completely different.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 17:23:52 »

If you care to have a listen to radio bristol from tuesdays morning show, you would hear the spokesman for the taxis drivers saying that most of their custom comes off the trains from London.

Not commenting on the way the response was worded, but just to say, I don't think the first comment is in any way the same as the second comment, is it? Martyjon has a point. There will be a lot more locals arriving into BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) than ever come from London. How many then get into a taxi is completely different.

Thank You.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 18:22:40 »

Did grahame request

let's not let it get personal, and if we think it has got personal, not respond in any similar vein.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 20:48:07 »

Moving on...

The station approach and the cab ranks are private property, with the station operator saying who can ply for trade there. Licences were introduced in 2012, at a cost of £375 pa pc (per cab). At that time, cabbies were charged £600 to pick up at either Bristol Parkway or Bath Spa, so it wasn't something new. The reduction in numbers is likely to annoy cabbies rather than passengers, as 184 taxis will be enough, it just means over 50 cabbies won't be able to pick up there. Dropping off by either Hackney or private hire will still be permitted.

Infoman's idea to move the bus stop to the old airport bus stand could certainly be looked at, as it would make it look as though there was a real bus service actually to the front door of the station. There is a problem that might mitigate against it. As it is the end of the route for the 8/9, 70/72/73 and hospital bus, they tend to park up for a while, and the space wouldn't fit more than two at a time. Also, there is still a plan to move the whole lot to the other side of the Engine Shed, unless the transport secretary is thinking of launching an inquiry into that, too.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 21:22:16 »

So a permit to ply from Temple Meads is only a little over half the cost of one for Bristol Parkway or Bath Spa? Strange. One would have assumed that the bigger the station, the greater the price that could be charged for the permit. Presumably Bath's tourist trade boosts its numbers (but it has a much smaller forecourt), but what about Parkway?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 21:36:00 »

Did grahame request

let's not let it get personal, and if we think it has got personal, not respond in any similar vein.
Sorry, I have to challenge that. In what way was my reply 'personal'?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: