Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
17th Apr (2010)
Formation Committee Meeting, TransWilts CRP (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 17, 2024, 00:58:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Wales  (Read 14208 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 21, 2019, 21:30:52 »

From the Independent

Normally, the hitchhiker takes it all in his or her chauffeur-driven stride. But yesterday I was a man with a mission, which did not allow for towing-related snarl-ups. My Monday adventure was a race against the train.

At 7.21am, the first end-to-end train across Wales departs Cardiff Central, destination Holyhead. I was there to wave it off. Wales’s answer to the Trans-Siberian is the longest train ride in the country, and takes an average of five hours.

Because of the way that the web of railways in Wales was reduced to a skeleton in the Sixties, the 7.21am takes a preposterously long route – I calculate almost 250 miles, compared with under 200 miles for the most direct road journey, using the A470.

A fascinating comparison ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Merthyr Imp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 22:01:39 »

So what would have been the most direct route from Cardiff to Holyhead prior to the 'reduction to a skeleton'?

Possibly via Merthyr Tydfil then the Mid-Wales line to Moat Lane Junction. Change there for the  Cambrian Coast route to Afon Wen, then to Bangor and Holyhead?

May be more direct on the map but I suspect it would take more than 5 hours. At least nowadays no changes are necessary.

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 22:13:39 »

Quote from: Merthyr Imp
So what would have been the most direct route from Cardiff to Holyhead prior to the 'reduction to a skeleton'?

Possibly via Merthyr Tydfil then the Mid-Wales line to Moat Lane Junction. Change there for the  Cambrian Coast route to Afon Wen, then to Bangor and Holyhead?

May be more direct on the map but I suspect it would take more than 5 hours. At least nowadays no changes are necessary.

Likewise, Cardiff-Carmarthen-Aberystwyth-Dovey Junction-Afon Wen- Bangor and Holyhead would have taken very much longer than 5 hours.

For some reason when I saw the title of this thread I thought "Hitch-hikers Guide to the Wales. Mostly harmless." I am sure there are some on here old enough to know why... Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 07:08:46 »

For some reason when I saw the title of this thread I thought "Hitch-hikers Guide to the Wales. Mostly harmless." I am sure there are some on here old enough to know why... Wink

Use of the word "the" in the subject line was meant to encourage that!

Stupid question time ... why do so many people want to go from Cardiff to Holyhead (of all North Wales places!) ... is it for the ferries, for other major businesses there, or for political reasons because it's as far as you can get and still be in Wales?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 07:11:56 »

.... end-to-end train across Wales ....

I thought an end to end train across Wales would run Fishguard Harbour to Holyhead.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 09:07:16 »

Stupid question time ... why do so many people want to go from Cardiff to Holyhead (of all North Wales places!) ... is it for the ferries, for other major businesses there, or for political reasons because it's as far as you can get and still be in Wales?

Perhaps Holyhead is where you'll find The Restaurant at the End of the Anglesey.

I thought an end to end train across Wales would run Fishguard Harbour to Holyhead.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fishguard.

And then it's back to Cardiff where you'll find Life, the University of Wales and Everything.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 11:09:40 »

Presumably the services would be listed in Table 42.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 11:16:47 »

Presumably the services would be listed in Table 42.

Love it.   Bit of re-arrangement needed though table 42 is Leeds to Settle, Carlisle and Morcambe.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 11:21:52 »

Probability of being able to rearrange table Fourty Two is infinite?..
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 11:32:10 »

But I think you'd need a really really hot cup of tea to do that...

But leaving the Douglas Adams puns to one side for a moment, the facts of the matter are that the railways that were built in Wales were primarily interested in getting to and from England or the Welsh ports rather than going north to south.

I came across this railway map on Flickr some time ago, dating from c.1959 so pre-Beeching. Youthful reporters writing newspaper articles might do well to study it. It's better to look at it of Flickr rather than reproduce an image here because over there you can click on it to zoom in:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93936890@N02/41085827862/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 12:01:37 »

But leaving the Douglas Adams puns to one side for a moment, the facts of the matter are that the railways that were built in Wales were primarily interested in getting to and from England or the Welsh ports rather than going north to south.

I came across this railway map on Flickr some time ago, dating from c.1959 so pre-Beeching. Youthful reporters writing newspaper articles might do well to study it. It's better to look at it of Flickr rather than reproduce an image here because over there you can click on it to zoom in:

I think I have a copy of that map in my archive somewhere.  Isn't it amazing how well we were all interconnected by public transport in those days.  Where did it all go.......
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 12:11:28 »

I think I have a copy of that map in my archive somewhere.  Isn't it amazing how well we were all interconnected by public transport in those days.  Where did it all go.......

The railway map at https://www.systemed.net/carto/New_Adlestrop_Railway_Atlas.pdf gives a superb, zoomable Wales (and the South West too) and I commend it to you.  And add a big THANK YOU to our modest moderator who put it together.

Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 12:14:30 »

Odd, there's a few omission on that map [edit - ie the Flickr map], eg Coventry - Kenilworth, Oxford - Abingdon, Cholsey - Wallingford.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 13:41:54 »

Not at all stupid, and I think you've answered your own question there Grahame.

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 16:20:34 »

Not at all stupid, and I think you've answered your own question there Grahame.

There probably aren't that many travelling the full journey, but IME (in my experience) there certainly are large numbers travelling from Cardiff or Newport to Bangor, and many others travelling to Chester or the north Wales resorts.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: