Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:23:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Looming driver shortage - heritage railways  (Read 7320 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 24, 2019, 05:54:09 »

From The Telegraph

Britain's heritage railways are in danger of running out of steam unless younger drivers can be replace aging ones as bosses revealed a pressing need for "new blood". 

British heritage lines have called for younger volunteers to replace aging drivers on the brink of retirement.

The Swanage Railway in Dorset - one of the biggest heritage lines in the country - needs to find 40 drivers over the next five years to fill the gap.

The attraction has 42 drivers but the majority are aged 60 or above and are likely to step down in the coming years.

The issue of a relatively short term 'career' in voluntary driving of heritage trains extends to voluntary drivers of community buses ... starting as they wind down from a full-time career and then being unable to carry on for age or health reasons just a few years later.  We can be perfectly fit enough for most things, but not have that perfect fitness to drive a public service road, or rail, vehicle.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 12:05:15 »

That may be academic - there was a letter in last week's Wokingham Paper based on this article in Raliway Magazine, saying "the government intends to ban coal-burning steam locomotives as part of its climate emergency policy". My reaction was to doubt that the government had progressed as far as intending anything so precise, but might have proposals for "zero coal" and had not really thought of exemptions or delays. That does sound roughly like what RM says:
Britain’s heritage railways are fighting for their future in the face of a Government crackdown on carbon emissions.

So serious is the threat that politicians from both sides of the Parliamentary divide joined forces in July to call for steam lines to be spared the most extreme aspects of new coal-burning laws.

Of course eventually the same will be true of diesel, and in both cases there may be an "essential user" category that heritage railways would not obviously fit into.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 12:28:59 »

As the Telegraph article states, it's more than just drivers of steam locos.  Its proving almost impossible to recruit youngsters to undertake all the other tasks needed.  The team I have for S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) work on my railway is all in its 60s/70s/80s and I include myself in that (well, the first one at least).  The required skills and energy required are going to rapidly disappear and I can see lots of the current preserved railways closing down because of it.  After 50 years of climbing signals (glad its not telegraph poles anymore), even I'm begining to find it more difficult and extremely tiring!

Anyway, it seems to focussed on loco drivers at the moment: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPjWLlDG30
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 14:45:21 by SandTEngineer » Logged
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 12:38:29 »

There have been limited concessions extended through the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs for availability and legal use of leaded petrol, plus use of rebated kerosene or other additives in historic cars and tractors that cannot run on unmodified present-day commercially available fuels. The difficulty that will be faced with coal for steam engines though is that it may cease to become available altogether as this would be such a limited market.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 17:35:42 »

I visited Didcot GWS today and noted the youth of the footplate crews, including a lady (forgive the politeness). The Swindon panel was superb as were the volunteers on duty.

I think that the future for steam will be oil firing, even LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas)/CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) - it will be cleaner, accurately controllable and of quick response - little blowing off of safety valves, no dropping fires, longer life fireboxes and boilers etc. Coal was only cheap because it was difficult to handle.

DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) steam?

OTC
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 11:36:38 »

Well if Iain Duncan Smith has his way there won't be anyone retiring until 75, in which case there won't be any heritage lines left except the ones that can employ a large number of paid staff.

Apparently the country can't afford pensions any more, even though it can afford corporation tax cuts.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 21:54:51 »

This is how it all started: https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-operation-bluebell-1960-online
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 22:53:11 »

I’m only 23! God knows when I will end up working until!  Cheesy
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 10:49:01 »

I visited Didcot GWS today and noted the youth of the footplate crews, including a lady (forgive the politeness). The Swindon panel was superb as were the volunteers on duty.

I think that the future for steam will be oil firing, even LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas)/CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) - it will be cleaner, accurately controllable and of quick response - little blowing off of safety valves, no dropping fires, longer life fireboxes and boilers etc. Coal was only cheap because it was difficult to handle.

DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) steam?

OTC

That won't go down with the traditionalists, who don't like it unless it's dirty, although it makes perfect sense. Perhaps a tender could be developed with plastic coal and a pantograph, producing steam from a 25kV electric boiler?

Nostalgia isn't like it used to be.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 11:49:26 »

The ageing volunteer issue, although no doubt a real one, does contrast with my observations at many of the heritage railways that I've visited. Okay, so it's maybe not a very scientific sample but I've seen so many young volunteers, including drivers, on most of my visits that I do think the people are there and you just have to reach out to them. It's not just a male preserve any more as I've seen young and slightly less young female volunteers fulfilling all the roles available from station staff to train staff, driver, fireman, P-Way gang and more.
It's not a problem of a lack of potential volunteers but instead a challenge of how to get their attention.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 12:26:20 »

I rather doubt that oil or gas firing will become popular, both are more complex and costly to handle than coal, and they are still fossil fuels with significant carbon emissions.
I have previously suggested that electricity could be used in the shed for warming up thereby reducing both labour and carbon emissions. IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) a narrow gauge heritage line already does this, but I am not aware of any full size steamers thus equipped.
A relatively modest electrical loading would heat the boiler up to nearly boiling point and permit of very quick steam raising.
A more substantial electrical input would actually raise steam and permit of lighting the fire only a very short time before the first train.

A battery locomotive could be very useful on the larger heritage lines for shunting, engineering trains,  ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) movements and for rescuing/assisting anything that breaks or gets stuck.

A battery multiple unit could be used for any commuter trains that are proposed outside of the steam operating times, or of course heritage coaches hauled by the battery loco.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 12:30:28 by Richard Fairhurst » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 13:41:19 »

If I remember correctly there were fireless steam locomotives about. Didn't Huntley and Palmers' have 2 fireless locomotives at their Reading Manufacturing base which was connected up to the sites heating system to "charge" the boiler and could operate for about 30 minutes before the boiler pressure dropped to a level which needed a recharge. Again memory reminds me that one of these locomotives was preserved and was once stored at the Didcot Railway Centre but I don't know what happened to it.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 14:20:07 »

If I remember correctly there were fireless steam locomotives about. Didn't Huntley and Palmers' have 2 fireless locomotives at their Reading Manufacturing base which was connected up to the sites heating system to "charge" the boiler and could operate for about 30 minutes before the boiler pressure dropped to a level which needed a recharge. Again memory reminds me that one of these locomotives was preserved and was once stored at the Didcot Railway Centre but I don't know what happened to it.

Also had them on the Sittingbourne and Kemsley - again charged from the papsr mill's boilers.    Taking broadgage's thoughts forward ... and reading WikiPedia

In an attempt to save on coal the Swiss Federal Railways fitted two small 0-6-0 steam shunters of class E 3/3 with a pantograph. Power was taken from overhead lines (15 kV, ​16 2⁄3 Hz), and fed to heating elements, via two transformers rated together at 480 kW. The modified E 3/3 8521 was brought into use on 13 January 1943; 8522 followed on 11 February 1943. They could run up to 20 minutes without power supply, like a fireless locomotive, once the boiler had been charged to full pressure. The firebox was retained, usually keeping hot embers, with a classic fire for longer operation on non-electrified tracks. The water circulation pump, the control circuit and the lighting were powered by a battery that was charged from a rectifier fed by one of the transformers.

Slightly modified from image by W.Rebel under Creative Commons 3.0 license

The "up to 20 minutes without power" could be significant - that should be plenty long enough to get through the Severn tunnel ... class 803, electric with steam power for short sections hard to electrify ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 14:37:25 »

I recall there was/is one on display in Gloucester docks that formerly shunted at the local power station (so plenty of steam there). They were also used in shunting explosive materials as in the attached.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 14:47:59 »

These used to be popular in situations of extreme fire risk, not just for handling explosives but also in oil refineries and petrol depots.
Also needed no fireman thereby saving wages.
Fireless steam engines usually had a warning bell or gong rather than a whistle so as to save steam.
Not usually fitted with air or vacuum brakes due to the steam consumption of an ejector or air pump.
If lighting was needed it was usual to use flameproof battery or oil lamps as approved for use in coal mines, but most such engines were used only in daylight or in well lit yards etc.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: