Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:29:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Demand for Rail Revival into County Donegal  (Read 2700 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 26, 2019, 07:51:53 »

Thanks to the RailFuture Campaigner Facebook group for bringing this one to my attention.

In the south of County Donegal, a branch line reached Bundoran on the west coast or Ireland.

The County Donegal Railway ran from (London)Derry to Strabane and Stanorlar to Donegal through the Barnes Gape to Donegal on the coast, where branches headed down the coast to Ballyshannon and up the coat to Killybegs. Inland branches to Glenties, and to the larger town of Letterkenny, completed this narrow gauge line.

The Londonderry and Loch Swilly Railway also ran from Derry, through Letterkenny where it shared a station with the County Donegal, but no regular through trains, on through wild and remote lands to Burtonpointon the west coast. From Tooban junction, a branch ran north alongside Loch Swilly via Buncrana to Cardonagh on the north coast - close by the most northerly point on the island of Ireland at Malin Head, even though it's in the south politically, emotionally and legally.

The Swilly became a bus rather than a train operation in 1954.  The Bundoran branch closed in 1957 when the Government of Northern Ireland closed the section of the line in their country, leaving it as an isolated stub. Trains staggered on until 1959 on the County Donegal. 

The countryside to this day remains remote and of great beauty – a land of wild coastline and mountains, attached to Eire / Southern Ireland by a land bridge as narrow as 5 miles.

"We need a Derry to Cork rail line.  THE PEOPLE OF DONEGAL AND THE NORTH-WEST HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS, AND WE DEMAND THEM" writes David W T Crooks, (Rev), Chairman, West Ulster Rail Initiative, in a letter to the Donegal Democrat.

In 1976, the old Limerick to Sligo line was closed. In 2010, the line from Limerick to Ennis was reopened, and soon afterwards, the line was extended to Athenry, making a line from Cork to Limerick Junction, to Limerick and to Athenry and Galway.

West on Track is campaigning for this line to be extended to Tuam and Claremorris. If they succeed, which seems likely, this would link up the western end of the Dublin to Limerick, Dublin to Galway and Dublin to Westport lines.

The West Ulster Rail Initiative and West on Track are campaigning to get this line extended on from Claremorris to Sligo, and on to Bundoran, Ballyshannon, Donegal, through the Gap to Ballybofey/Stranorlar, Letterkenny and Newtowncunningham to Derry, and southwards from Limerick to Chareleville and Mallow to Cork. This would create a Derry to Cork Western Rail Corridor.

Irish rail has become very much a spoked wheel with the hub in Dublin. The link from the Cork line at Limerick Junction to Athenry on the Galway line has a chequered history as described by Rev Crook but is still not really doing as great as it should - staggering along again.  Carrying on around from Limerick Junction to Rosslare on the south eastern tip, only the section to Waterford remains open with two trains a day (yeah, I know, such services can be dragged back to useful) but is the mothballed to Rosslare. And that mothballed section includes the longest rail bridge - over an estuary - in Ireland. North from AtHenry, sections to be restored and even built anew if the line is to reach the southern end of County Donegal at Bundoran.

Much of Rev Crook's long letter highlights benefits south of Bundoran, and I can't help feeling that's because north of there he's looking at a line that would be far from cheap to build through country that's beautiful for the visitor, but sparsely populated to provide his railway with its bread and butter traffic. Letterkenny has a population of under 20,000 and Buncrana just under 6,000. Stanorlar is just under 5,000 then nowhere reaches even 3,000.  For local comparison - Bude, 10,000. 

I wish the Rev Crook well – there is (I believe) an excellent case for rail all the way from Rosslare to Sligo and perhaps even Buncrana / Ballyshannon. There may be a case too for local rail transit from (London)Derry to Stranorlar and to Letterkenny, serving intermediate growth; those last suggestions mixed hideously in the politics of the area and the border.  But I do feel that a demand as the Rev put it, and a statement that it's the democratic right of the area may just lead to the answer "yes, it's your right – please feel free to go ahead and fund, build and operate it yourself"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:50:33 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 08:46:43 »

Interesting.  One issues will be that most of the lines in Co Donegal were 3ft gauge.  So reopening them would not create through routes unless they were converted to (Irish) standard 5ft 3ins gauge, which would be rather different to the reopening of the standard gauge mothballed western corridor lines currently proposed for reopening.

Also the only rail connection between Sligo and Bundoran and between Bundoran and Ballyshannon was through Northern Ireland.  There is a very narrow strip of land between the Northern Ireland border and the west coast. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 09:54:45 »

As I wrote that original, I was very much aware of place names previously unknown on this forum cropping upland the lack of a map in the good reverend's demands.   Trawling back, I have found the Viceroy's 1906 map of railways in Ireland and seeing as it's out of copyright, here it is in three sections.

If you wish, you can view these images in a separate frame or window, and you'll find they're at somewhat higher resolution then to make them more readable.

As ... a 2020 project (?) ... I really fancy seeing some of these places.   Taking in Dromod again, the Giant's Causeway, Listowel, Killybegs, Dingle, Burtonport (not to visit in that order); maybe a dream but should any other member share that dream, two could be company.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 10:15:44 »

Coincidentally in today's edition of The i there is a picture of the railway bridge between Belcoo and Blacklion on the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern. I say bridge, in fact former bridge, as it was blown up during the troubles as an illegal border crossing.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 10:16:22 »

To complete the demand the Rev. Crooks makes, I have got my crayons out to help me understand.

The green section is his county Donegal proposal.  As Ellendune suggests, much of it in on 3' gauge old road and I don't know how that would work.   Also ... what's the geography like from Sligo to Bundoran and from Stronalar to Letterkenny direct?   Bridge needed at Ballyshannon but that may be a relatively small issue.

Blue is lines currently in service.  Orange lines that he (on the way to Cork) or I (on the way to Rosslare) feel form part of the total plan - currently closed (ripped up too!) or mothballed.

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 10:51:51 »

Taken in Derry in 2001.

I've only been there three times since, which is a bit naughty given that my elder brother lives less than 3 miles away from this spot...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 11:01:56 »

Coincidentally in today's edition of The i there is a picture of the railway bridge between Belcoo and Blacklion on the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern. I say bridge, in fact former bridge, as it was blown up during the troubles as an illegal border crossing.

Is than in the news because of the doubts about the future border - which is now open to just drive (or take the single  remaining train line) across, or for some other reason?

Taken in Derry in 2001.

Lovely picture but, sadly I suspect, a static exhibit.  The line from Belfast to Derry went through a bleak period but I believe it has been brought up to modern standard as is now safe into the future.  Propects of modern extension onwards, sadly, slim ...

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 11:12:26 »

To complete the demand the Rev. Crooks makes, I have got my crayons out to help me understand.

The green section is his county Donegal proposal.  As Ellendune suggests, much of it in on 3' gauge old road and I don't know how that would work.   Also ... what's the geography like from Sligo to Bundoran and from Stronalar to Letterkenny direct?   Bridge needed at Ballyshannon but that may be a relatively small issue.

Blue is lines currently in service.  Orange lines that he (on the way to Cork) or I (on the way to Rosslare) feel form part of the total plan - currently closed (ripped up too!) or mothballed.

A new line from Sligo to Bundoran should be OK provided you head north via Drumcliff to Grange then stick close to the coast (otherwise a long tunnel might be necessary). It would be a beautiful view from the train window on a good day and there are some lovely places along that coast!

The N15 direct road from Stranolar to Letterkenny can best be described as a mountain road - albeit one built to a good modern standard, but something may be possible.

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the line from Athenry to Collooney is still there but mothballed. 

The line West from limerick seems intact according to Google maps, but the link south to Charleville is not. It may be easier to continue go vial limerick Jn as the Cork Limerick trains do today.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 14:07:51 »

Is than in the news because of the doubts about the future border - which is now open to just drive (or take the single  remaining train line) across, or for some other reason?

The article is about a report "drawn up by officials of the Northern Ireland Secretary in September 1976". Not clear whether this is the Northern Ireland Office or Stormont. Have done cursory search of National Archives without turning over anything obvious.

The analysis focused on the less obvious impacts of the Troubles and cross-border issues. So I suppose it is being used as reference to possible issues after Brexit.

If you want a larger scale view of the area of the railway bridge try http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/series?xCenter=2927680&yCenter=3200960&scale=126720&viewScale=725669.6832&mapLayer=europe&subLayer=new_pop&title=British%20War%20Office%20GSGS%204127%2C%20Ordnance%20Survey%20Popular%20and%20New%20Popular%20Editions&download=true which should give you part of the 1941 WO map of Sligo (Sheet 7) at Half-inch scale. The railways are far from clear, but the border is. A more general view of the roads can be found at https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ (I used the 1961 NI Road Map).

A list of Approved Border Crossings can be found in the Schedule to http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1968/si/117/made/en/print?q=Land+Frontier&years=1968. All other crossings will have been Unapproved and rendered unusable by the British Army (for a day or so!). Military survey maps would show these but as far as I know the M825 1:25,000 Northern Ireland series of maps were always classified "Restricted" or "Confidential".

Late addition from the Belfast Telegraph https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/revealed-number-of-border-crossings-between-northern-ireland-and-republic-36850570.html, 208 crossings in 310 mile frontier. Should be a good test of the technology.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 14:13:47 by CyclingSid » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 13:18:33 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the line from Athenry to Collooney is still there but mothballed. 

The line West from limerick seems intact according to Google maps, but the link south to Charleville is not. It may be easier to continue go vial limerick Jn as the Cork Limerick trains do today.

The line from Waterford to Rosslare - "Mothballed" - updated news at http://gwr.passenger.chat/7546 .  Here is a picture taken yesterday (from a video at that link) - so still passable ...

I would agree that Limerick to Cork can be well served via Limerick Junction and that money saved by doing so rather than heading west then south from Limerick to Charleville would be better spend on the other orange sections, and perhaps a start on the green section.  Very much IMHO (in my humble opinion) - I may just have missed some significant factor;  I have, though, travelled on all open lines from Limerick including a change at Limerick Junction and on to Charleville (then Mallow also on the proposed route) before branching off to Killarney and Tralee.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: