12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
12:57 Exmouth to Paignton
13:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 13:22:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] "Mayflower"
[89] You see all sorts on the bus.
[63] Where have I been?
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[53] Death of another bus station?
[30] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "no trip on public transportation is worth £4" and other visitor's views  (Read 7660 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 26, 2019, 10:35:19 »

From My London

The hilarious London Underground reviews by Americans - and why they're wrong

"you don't get to see the city"

"Very very small, compared to decent sized American trains."

" ... it appears to have a monopoly on underground travel, which is state backed and, quite frankly, something that would never happen in America, land of freedom."

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 12:31:39 »

They have a point regarding some of the complaints. Too hot, too small, too crowded, and too expensive, I agree with.
However to complain about the absence of a view from an underground railway is simply daft. As is complaining about the trains being all of the same colour.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 12:42:44 »

" ... it appears to have a monopoly on underground travel, which is state backed and, quite frankly, something that would never happen in America, land of freedom."

Not sure that Andrew from San Francisco knows what goes in in the USA.

Remind me who runs the bay area rapid transit in San Francisco and the subway in New York?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:50:30 by ellendune » Logged
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 12:55:43 »

Some other observations from the Yelp page:
The map needs to be totally revamped to include real world topography.
Not just a bunch of inter-locking circles and lines.  That doesn't allow for scale, and landmark identification.
I know London is old but, shouldn't all Underground Stations undergo remodeling for ADA COMPLIANCE
The lights flicker. People get sick during rush hour so the train doesn't move until the ambulance comes.

To be fair though there are a number that are complimentary. Just the one example:
In my admittedly limited travels to date, no transport system has come close to the London Underground (and that includes NYC's metro lines). With a map that's fairly easy to read and a fleet of subway cars running at a near constant pace, you'll usually get where you need to go with time to spare and without incident while riding what is affectionately known locally as the Tube.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 13:07:22 »

As is complaining about the trains being all of the same colour.

Alternatives tube liveries have been tried, but sadly extinct

Collective Commons License - thank you "Dasher" - see ((here))

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 13:10:11 »

I'm surprised to see no complaints about how screamingly loud it is in places. Especially since a lot of the comments are looking at it as an alternative to anything at all - including walking or not visiting London or any other big city.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 18:39:25 »

It's just as well they didn't try travelling on the tube in the bad old days before the smoking ban

But most of the "criticisms" would attach to the various undergound metros I've ridden over the years in Paris, Madrid, Hamburg, Vienna and Vancouver. I think these tell us much more about Americans than the London Underground.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 20:01:30 »

From My London

The hilarious London Underground reviews by Americans - and why they're wrong

"you don't get to see the city"

"Very very small, compared to decent sized American trains."

I hope they don't forget that they're far less likely to get shot in London than they are in America...
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 20:11:58 »

It's just as well they didn't try travelling on the tube in the bad old days before the smoking ban

But most of the "criticisms" would attach to the various undergound metros I've ridden over the years in Paris, Madrid, Hamburg, Vienna and Vancouver. I think these tell us much more about Americans than the London Underground.

The "you don't get to see the city" observation is certainly not true on the Hamburg U-Bahn, which, similar to it's S-Bahn, is more above than below ground. Over my life I've many times enjoyed the views that they both offer of the city (and beyond).
In fact the elevated docks section of the U3 from Rodingsmarkt to Baumwall and then Landungsbrucken is a heritage site and tourism attraction in it's own right.

Edit: Typo correction.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 21:13:37 by johnneyw » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 08:46:54 »

I would not have been surprised had someone foreign complained that it was full of foreign people on holiday, a criticism I have heard voiced with a southern states drawl on a vaporetto in Venice. And that was on one of the few I have ever seen with a couple of empty seats.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:52:19 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 09:35:01 »

I'm not a huge fan of listicles, though the evidence would suggest that they are effective in attracting traffic. In the old days it took some skill to write an article for a redtop; journalists had to combine a reasonable grasp of the issues with an ability to distil them into something their reader demographic could easily digest. But writing listicles? My cat could do it - and he's been dead these twenty years.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 11:54:46 »

I'm not a huge fan of listicles, though the evidence would suggest that they are effective in attracting traffic. In the old days it took some skill to write an article for a redtop; journalists had to combine a reasonable grasp of the issues with an ability to distil them into something their reader demographic could easily digest. But writing listicles? My cat could do it - and he's been dead these twenty years.

RS's cat would still have a promising career at the Bristol Evening Post then, perhaps working with Schroedingers Cat on the a "10 things you never knew about quantum mechanics" piece.

I gave a personal example on this thread yesterday of a public transport system well worth the price of a day ticket (even if it's more than the four quid in the title). There are others I could cite, like Cardiff's "Explore the Capital" rail card for less than a fiver and a good way of exploring Cardiff/Penarth in it's own right.
There must be more such good deals around.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 19:47:33 »

RS's cat would still have a promising career at the Bristol Evening Post then, perhaps working with Schroedingers Cat...

...maybe Fat Freddy's Cat could complete the team!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 20:33:12 »

I would not have been surprised had someone foreign complained that it was full of foreign people on holiday, a criticism I have heard voiced with a southern states drawl on a vaporetto in Venice. And that was on one of the few I have ever seen with a couple of empty seats.

I went to Venice a few years back - dreadful place - the roads were all flooded !!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 21:38:42 »

RS's cat would still have a promising career at the Bristol Evening Post then, perhaps working with Schroedingers Cat...

...maybe Fat Freddy's Cat could complete the team!
Not forgetting...
https://youtu.be/ykRZbOb1c5c

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: