I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:37:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Frome station promotion leaflet  (Read 9988 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 28, 2019, 08:14:58 »

I have a request for a leaflet to hand out this Saturday to promote services from FROME.    It seems to be in B10, B1 and T7 from GWR (Great Western Railway) and table 20 from SWR» (South Western Railway - about).   No Heart of Wessex line guide this year as I understand it.  Any suggestions?   Surely I have missed something!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 08:36:58 »

I have a request for a leaflet to hand out this Saturday to promote services from FROME.    It seems to be in B10, B1 and T7 from GWR (Great Western Railway) and table 20 from SWR» (South Western Railway - about).   No Heart of Wessex line guide this year as I understand it.  Any suggestions?   Surely I have missed something!

Grahame, when I showed you a A4 leaflet on yellow paper, black print, you said you had one. This was in connection with a previous statement regarding the non production of a Heart Of Wessex Line Guide this summer. Would that cover the request made to your goodself.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:48:53 »

Grahame, when I showed you a A4 leaflet on yellow paper, black print, you said you had one. This was in connection with a previous statement regarding the non production of a Heart Of Wessex Line Guide this summer. Would that cover the request made to your goodself.

Sounds like the Bradford-on-Avon sheet.  An excellent local timetable for that station.   

If I or someone had the time ... a black and white print on a pastel paper document could be produced - estimate volunteer work time 1 day - good thought that you lead me towards.   Problem to ensure accuracy.   Seen too many cases of inaccurate leaflets that are a laughing stock and worse, even with "E&OE" on them.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 15:14:13 »

Been mucking about ... http://www.passenger.chat/frometrains.pdf ... difficult bit is how to automatically cover intermediate stations!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 15:29:20 »

You could make it a lot more use by including arrival times at the destinations you have listed.

One of the most common queries is "I know what time I want to be where....but what time do I need to catch a train to get there then?"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 15:38:18 »

You could make it a lot more use by including arrival times at the destinations you have listed.

One of the most common queries is "I know what time I want to be where....but what time do I need to catch a train to get there then?"

Totally agreed.  And sadly I could take a 20 minute automatic exercise forward into a whole day's project ....

Just quickly plotting sources and destinations is interesting ... shows what a presentation nightmare Frome is. The exercise is based on a fairly casual enquiry - I can take it further should it be further encouraged, otherwise I have plenty to do!   But IMHO (in my humble opinion), Frome does need a good local sheet - to include details at far end and at key stations for all services - Westbury, Trowbridge, Bath Spa, Bristol Temple Meads, Filton Abbey Wood, Bristol Parkway, Cheltenham Spa, Yeovil Pen Mill, Dorchester West, Reading.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 16:00:28 »

Is there an A-Z destination sheet(s) at Frome? If so, start off by taking a phone photo of it/them & using that data?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 16:07:35 »

Is there an A-Z destination sheet(s) at Frome? If so, start off by taking a phone photo of it/them & using that data?

I'm not sure if there currently is - the issue of information for Frome station arose in the good old days when Catherine was the HoW(resolve) CRO, I did the job on TransWilts, NR» (Network Rail - home page) was station manager at Westbury and AM was in publicity at GWR (Great Western Railway); we got together to produce the first A-Z for Frome; a small station for such as sheet but one of a handful of special cases where it's logical.

I did wonder about seeing if there's still a sheet available - but scale is an issue and there never was a corresponding Z-A (there or anywhere).  Really something for the people who have taken over from all four names listed above to do, or decide that it's not a good use of their resource to do.

WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 20:16:37 »

Hi All

I volunteer my services at the "Discover Frome Information Point" (ie tourist office run by Frome Town Council FTC) on certain days. There is currently no timetable summary for Frome available and we are obliged to hand out the B1 booklet. As many know this does have a BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-WEY summary in the rear but as I advise my enquirers this is not the complete service from FRO» (Frome - next trains) which is only shown in the main table. Hardly user friendly but does show all the FRO extras.

FTC previously produced a summary leaflet for all BUS services from Frome but this has now been discontinued. So they will not be doing one for trains.

On the positive side there is indeed still a current A-Z table on display at FRO. This is a single poster size display. I will attempt a photo after my arrival on the anticipated 20.07 tomorrow and send it to Graham if it might be of use. I do a fairly regular trip from Leatherhead to FRO on many Thursdays but last time the FRO direct got cancelled (due to crew shortage!).

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 06:31:05 »

Hi All

I volunteer my services at the "Discover Frome Information Point" (ie tourist office run by Frome Town Council FTC) on certain days. There is currently no timetable summary for Frome available and we are obliged to hand out the B1 booklet. ...

It does sounds that public transport use in and from Frome could be encouraged by the provision of better easy to understand data.  Elements of that have been provided in the past - but either decisions have been taken to discontinue so doing, or they have simply fallen by the wayside.  Not sure that it's anyone's "responsibility" or even that all transport operators would be required to co-operate; at least 2 train and 3 bus to my knowledge, and I may have overlooked some.

On the positive side there is indeed still a current A-Z table on display at FRO» (Frome - next trains). This is a single poster size display. I will attempt a photo after my arrival on the anticipated 20.07 tomorrow and send it to Graham if it might be of use. I do a fairly regular trip from Leatherhead to FRO on many Thursdays but last time the FRO direct got cancelled (due to crew shortage!).

For the immediate request for this Saturday - thank you, but not enough time to produce anything. For the longer term (release for December 2019 timetable change??) would be useful to know what destinations are currently shown - whether it's been changed from the original a couple of years back.

On Frome buses - also note that the D2 changes from next Monday - with alternate buses going each way round Frome and known as D2A.   This has caused disquiet as certain timetable sources show D2 reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes ... until the reader realises there's a new table D2A.

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 09:55:32 »

Ref Heart of Wessex

WEST DORSET WESTERN AREA TRANSPORT ACTION GROUP (WATAG)
Extract from September meeting

Great Western Railway: Sally Falkingham sent apologies but reported that she would be attending a meeting in Trowbridge on 27 September to discuss the future of the Community Rail Partnership covering the Weymouth to Westbury and Bristol line. Kelly Flynn would also be attending. 
https://transportactiongroup.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/111-sept19.pdf

Does anyone know anything about this?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 11:16:37 »

Great Western Railway: Sally Falkingham sent apologies but reported that she would be attending a meeting in Trowbridge on 27 September to discuss the future of the Community Rail Partnership covering the Weymouth to Westbury and Bristol line. Kelly Flynn would also be attending. 

Does anyone know anything about this?

A little.  The Heart of Wessex CRP (Community Rail Partnership) is changing after the retirement of Catherine Phillips. The subject of how any Community Rail activities on Weymouth - Westbury - Bristol that it was undertaking are continued and in what form, funded by whom and organised / administered by whom were discussed.   Attendees were invited from, I believe, the other CRPs who operate (anywhere) in Wiltshire, GWR (Great Western Railway), and local government interested parties.   Not a public meeting by any stretch of the imagination (quite an exclusive group?) so not added to the forum diaries. With no Catherine around, I'm not sure who represented ongoing HoW(resolve) CRP interests for station groups, etc.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: