Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 16:38:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Travelogue observations - 3rd September 2019 - P&O  (Read 5153 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 03, 2019, 07:21:51 »

Early morning thoughts – travelling Transatlantic with P&O on the Aurora

It's early. The clock on my computer says 05:40, the latest forum post says 06:30 and ship's time is 04:40 (can't set my computer to that, as there's nowhere in that particular timezone in the database). The cabin is pitch black, save for the glow of this laptop. Clocks have been going back an hour each night as we head west, and a usually-early waken has woken even earlier.  Having pulled back a tiny crack in the heavy curtains that our cabin steward closed while we were at dinner, I can see the first glimmer of dawn giving me some sort of feeling of natural outside cycle.  A first cup of coffee sits beside me; unique on our various cruises (help, we're turning into regulars) P&O have a hospitality tray in the room and I'm not scurrying off to the night own coffee machine on some distant deck, trousers roughly pulled on. In time, this is the lull before the storm on Aurora - only 24 hour reception is open just at the moment; the late bars are (probably) all shut by now and almost everyone is asleep as they recharge for another day "busy doing nothing".

Aurora carries about 1800 passengers and about 850 crew. Deck numbers go up to 13, though the lower numbers are a mystery to passengers - starting at 4 for the medical facilities.  Lifts fore, mid and aft - in groups of three at each location - carry passengers up and down; big, wide staircases too but many passengers on the boat aren't physically fit enough to make it even from one floor to the next.  Our first cruise - with a different operator in a different part of the world - remains notable in my though that everyone else seemed 10% slower, 20% smaller and 30% older than we were.  That has mellowed with time - so this time I'll say 10% older (for I have looked in the mirror after 20 years) and still 20% smaller. I'm no longer tripping over slower people though, as I have slowed down.   Still busy though.

Still busy.  Still busy with catching up with papers, thoughts, coding.  The urgent was done before we left, but some of the important remain. And the lack of day to day mandatory things going on around us allow for some good quality chunks of thought / coding / output.  Still busy on board too - it feels "busy doing nothing" - open days with no "have to"s across the Atlantic, yet still breakfast, bridge class, lunch, cybersecurity lecture, and evening meal each being an outing from our cabin. We've not yet taken in any shows, any bars, any sports.  Busy doing nothing.

So much more to write up in chunks; of our fellow passengers, of food, of staff, of organisation, of internet access, of lectures and entertainment.  But I'm going to head off for another cup of coffee and then, perhaps, do some coding in ruby (it's a programming language, folks!).  2 hours to breakfast, 5 hours to "Bridge for beginners" where this innocent looking old couple (us!) did rather well - beginners luck and logic - against the couple we played yesterday, much to (his) upset, I fear.  He was ... bored ... done it a bit before ... thought he would romp through.   Oops.  Wonder who will be there today; I expect the "try it for a day" brigade will have moved on. Suspect we'll stick with it.

Now – where's that coffee??

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 08:40:35 »

Have to admit I love "sea days" - looking at your itinerary you're going to have quite a few.

I've only been on the bigger ships (Ventura, Azura and Britannia) but I note that Aurora has a lot of similar facilities.

You really can make yourself very "busy doing nothing" - by "nothing" I mean having a drink, eating (lunch), going to a presentation, eating (afternoon tea), doing a pub quiz, eating (burger or pizza from the poolside outlet), reading in the ships library or going to watch a film, eating (dinner - I recommend the "Beach House", as I see Aurora has that, if you fancy something away from the MDR), going to a show, eating (the buffet is open nearly 24hrs, at least on the bigger ships).

Did I mention eating? Anyway, enjoy!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 09:56:08 »

With apologies if anyone's already posted this elsewhere: If you want to know how far grahame and lisae have got, look here:

https://www.seascanner.com/ships-position-aurora

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 10:09:13 »

I was slightly amused to see this clickbait headline come up while I was looking at the online version of the local paper

Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 12:55:03 »

Although a decade is an extreme example, I have met people (of retirement age +) onboard who have booked concurrent cruises. I got talking to a couple on Ventura a few years ago, who had decided halfway through the cruise we were on, to book for the next one and stay onboard. I also met a old gent on one of our cruises (a widower, and ex-merchant seaman) who said he spent more time at sea than he did on land, as he'd been at sea most of his life and preferred it.

My parents did a lot of cruising and once returned describing their trip as a "care home at sea" - they were in their early 80's themselves at the time!

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 15:09:18 »

A friend of mine has made several return trips to America travelling as a passenger on board a cargo ship.
They speak very highly of this mode of transport.

The vast cabin would, on a cruise ship be called "super double luxury emperor class" or some similar superlative nonsense.
One crossing was exceedingly rough, to the extent that the highly experienced Captain pronounced it the worst he had known in decades of seafaring.
Another trip was in fine weather but delayed by dockside snow on arrival that hampered unloading.

Food and drink was reported as being of good quality but limited in choice if compared to a cruise ship.

Passenger travel by cargo ship is probably reasonably green. These ships burn a great volume of heavy oil, but the ship is running anyway and the EXTRA fuel used by carrying a passenger is too small to measure.
A cruise ship by contrast is running solely or primarily for the passengers, and if it conveys say 1,000 passengers, it would be reasonable to "blame" each passenger for one thousandth of the total fuel used.

Many cargo ships convey a few passengers, the law limits the number to 12 unless there is a doctor on board.
Most USA registered cargo ships don't carry passengers.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 15:34:08 »

Yes it’s very different to being on a cruise ship.  I have a friend who used to be a captain on one of the huge cargo ships and his wife sometimes travelled with him as a ‘passenger’.  The food and drink is largely what the crew need for the voyage, and you have to make your own entertainment much of the time, but it would be a experience I’d love to try - more so than a cruise.  Not for everybody though!

I have a vague memory that Michael Palin used them once or twice on his various journeys?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 16:58:32 »

My parents did a lot of cruising and once returned describing their trip as a "care home at sea" - they were in their early 80's themselves at the time!

There is some considerable truth to that ... a story for another day, though.   But think this. 1850 passengers plus 800 crew for 30 days about 80,000 sea days. Which equates to 217 years.  With life expectancy what it is, and the skewed age profile of passengers, I suspect it would be an exceptional cruise (and I already know it's happened on this one since we boarded) on which the crew don't have to deal with someone passed away.

Ah well ... back to my coding ... reverse engineering a Perl script and data files to rewrite as object based Ruby. "Goodness your pack is heavy" said Lisa .. it contains "Ruby in a Nutshell", "Programming Ruby" and "Ruby Pocket reference" and as I code it's all coming back to me.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 17:06:25 »

Re cargo ships it's getting harder all the time less ships and more health checks.  I have a friend who is currently on his way to Australia by train and Ship! Train to China Ship to Brisbane.

He's coming back via Singapore and train from then on if, I think it's Cambodia, has reopened its railway.

He had terrible job booking and has had to have an up-to-date health check because of the no doctor on board. So for coming back he'll have to have another  check up before he leaves Australia as the outward one will have expired..
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 18:00:21 »

I suspect it would be an exceptional cruise (and I already know it's happened on this one since we boarded) on which the crew don't have to deal with someone passed away.

Indeed, a very sad but not infrequent occurrence - which is why all cruise ships have a morgue.

I've not seen the morgue, but did see the Medical Centre on Britannia (after a minor cycling accident on a Norwegian mountain path) - it's impressive (like a hospital intensive care ward) although thankfully most passengers will never see it.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 18:32:16 »

He had terrible job booking and has had to have an up-to-date health check because of the no doctor on board. So for coming back he'll have to have another  check up before he leaves Australia as the outward one will have expired..

Can you get a health check for your health check to prevent that?
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 00:10:38 »

Somthing I have always questioned, can you get a decent pint of cask ale (real ale) on a cruise ship? sounds like a floating prison to me, and there are no walks or cycle rides through the trees, so being able to keep the other half happy, and enjoy a nice few pints perhaps?
Know it can be done where the yeast is in little teabags, or the beer is racked off each day. just wonder if it is done?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 00:24:06 »

Somthing I have always questioned, can you get a decent pint of cask ale (real ale) on a cruise ship? sounds like a floating prison to me, and there are no walks or cycle rides through the trees, so being able to keep the other half happy, and enjoy a nice few pints perhaps?
Know it can be done where the yeast is in little teabags, or the beer is racked off each day. just wonder if it is done?

You raise some interesting questions ... along lines I'm looking to address in what, I suspect, will be the next travelogue.  I'm sorting out a few more things yet though, in relation to the server.

Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 08:51:05 »

can you get a decent pint of cask ale (real ale)

Beer flights in the Pub on Azura when I was onboard a few months ago. Included my local favourite "Good Old Boy" from West Berskhire Brewery. Impressed.

The likes of Doom Bar, London Pride and Marston's Pedigree are routinely available on the P&O ships. Not sure about other cruise lines.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 13:55:20 »

I suspect it would be an exceptional cruise (and I already know it's happened on this one since we boarded) on which the crew don't have to deal with someone passed away.

Indeed, a very sad but not infrequent occurrence - which is why all cruise ships have a morgue.

I've not seen the morgue, but did see the Medical Centre on Britannia (after a minor cycling accident on a Norwegian mountain path) - it's impressive (like a hospital intensive care ward) although thankfully most passengers will never see it.
I have to ask if this Norwegian mountain path was on a shore visit or an onboard equivalent of a Snow Dome?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: