05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 08:22:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Travelogue observations - 3rd September 2019 - P&O  (Read 5140 times)
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 17:23:58 »

I have to ask if this Norwegian mountain path was on a shore visit or an onboard equivalent of a Snow Dome?

It was at Flamm in Norway, which is a spectacular end-of-fjord location - the ship sails around 5-6 hours inland from the open sea to get there. Spectacular views all the way in and out.

It has a quite famous mountain railway, which we rode up on and hired bikes to cycle back down. I came to grief about 1km into the approx 25km downhill ride, so went to the Medical Centre on Britannia to get some cuts and grazes cleaned up.

They looked after me very well, but as it's not the NHS (or the EU» (European Union - about)) I had to pay around £75 to be cleaned up.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 19:52:12 »

As the Flamm Railway is on my bucket list, I've noted this and will avoid the temptation to get on a bike to get back down again if I get there - thanks for the tip TC(resolve)!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 12:30:53 »

Somthing I have always questioned, can you get a decent pint of cask ale (real ale) on a cruise ship? sounds like a floating prison to me, and there are no walks or cycle rides through the trees, so being able to keep the other half happy, and enjoy a nice few pints perhaps?
Know it can be done where the yeast is in little teabags, or the beer is racked off each day. just wonder if it is done?

Many cruise ships sell ALLEGEDLY cask conditioned beer, but I very much doubt that it is "real" as defined by CAMRA.
Proper real ale contains sediment, and often hops also in the cask. When delivered it is not yet fit for consumption. The casks have to be placed in the pub cellar, and vented which causes a secondary fermentation and gives the beer a modest degree of sparkle and allows the sediment to fall to the bottom of the cask.
I do not think that this could be achieved on board a ship.

I suspect that the beer is specially produced by allowing the secondary fermentation to occur in large tanks or vats at the brewery, the beer is then drawn off, clear and ready for immediate consumption.
Most traditional brewers offered beer "racked clear and bright" for use at outdoor events, parties in private houses, and other situations without a proper cellar and time for secondary fermentation. Also useful for public houses that had run out of beer, since the "racked clear and bright" product could be sold within seconds of delivery without waiting a day or two for it to be ready.

Such beer has very limited keeping qualities and should be consumed within a day or two or it becomes flat and then goes sour.
For use on a cruise ship, such beer would have to be stored under modest gas pressure to keep it sparkling, and prevent oxygen in the air turning it sour.
So not really "real ale" by the accepted definition, but should still be enjoyable.

The extra costs of special treatment would be offset by the absence of excise duty.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 13:56:24 »

The extra costs of special treatment would be offset by the absence of excise duty.
But then add cruise company profit back on, which makes it similar to large pub chain prices  Angry

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 17:54:51 »

Such beer has very limited keeping qualities and should be consumed within a day or two or it becomes flat and then goes sour.
For use on a cruise ship, such beer would have to be stored under modest gas pressure to keep it sparkling, and prevent oxygen in the air turning it sour.
So not really "real ale" by the accepted definition, but should still be enjoyable.

The ales that I mentioned earlier appeared to be out of the bottle. Guess I'm not enough of a purist - and even the likes of West Berkshire Brewery aren't either?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 11:52:19 »

Bottled beer keeps well and is more suitable for use on board a ship.
MOST bottled beer contains no sediment, a few brands of which Worthington White Shield is the most well known, do contain sediment.
Such bottled beer should be stored upright for a few days before consumption. The bottle should be opened carefully and the beer poured gently into the glass, taking care to leave the sediment in the bottle.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 14:01:43 »

Coming late to this, but I've just really enjoyed reading Graham's first post - the perfect post-lunch start to a wet holiday afternoon in Scotland.

We'll be crossing the Atlantic by sea in exactly a year, bound for San Francisco - I should say, to keep vaguely on topic, by Amtrak across the US.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 14:37:27 »

Coming late to this, but I've just really enjoyed reading Graham's first post - the perfect post-lunch start to a wet holiday afternoon in Scotland.

Thank you.  I wondered whether to just post a day or two, but a succession of heavily-liked posts has encouraged me to keep going.   There won't be one today - I'm posting from St. John's, Newfoundland, on a day packed with activity.  I rose early to write / email a strategy report to the chair of the board of Railfuture prior to tomorrow's meeting, and then took to the decks as we came into port.  A morning looking around the town - just coming to a close - and Lisa and I have an excursion planned this afternoon.   Currently having a "fix" of decent Internet connection in the local Starbucks!

We'll be crossing the Atlantic by sea in exactly a year, bound for San Francisco - I should say, to keep vaguely on topic, by Amtrak across the US.

Would love to read some more travelogues.  Lessons from overseas can be so informative to the UK (United Kingdom) ... I expect you'll find that in my post tomorrow.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: