Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:07:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of and false information following line closure after fatality  (Read 970 times)
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2019, 20:55:49 »

Some of you may be aware that there was, unfortunately, a fatality on the line between Basingstoke and Farnborough today causing the line to be closed.  Arriving at Southampton at 1435 I had planned to catch the 1451 Southampton to Weymouth service to then return via Yeovil and Salisbury.  As I had become aware of teh closure I checked SWR» (South Western Railway - about) on line departure board which showed that the 1451 was cancelled but that the 1424 was expected to depart at 1444 following diversion via Havant. All fine so far.  On arrival at Southampton there was no indication of a Weymouth departure on platform 4 so I checked the main departure list.  This stated that the 1424 departure would now be departing at 1519.  This was confirm shortly after by an announcement that the next train on platform 3 would be the delayed Weymouth train departing at 1519 and that the next train to Brockenhurst and Bournemouth would be the 1445 service on platform 4. As a result of this everyone crossed to the latter platform.  Just after 1440 a 10 car 444 crept into platform 3 but there were no announcements that this was the Weymouth train. It left before the 1445.  On checking the Opentraintimes maps on my way to Bournemouth it became obvious that this unannounced train was indeed  the 1424 departure having miraculously recovered 45 mins.  Needless to say that train delayed all the way to Bournemouth and departed before our arrival.  There was only one staff member on the platform and he was occupied helping a passenger in a wheelchair.  I checked the departure board in the booking office which is the only one giving all departures and there was, at that time, no indication of any Weymouth departure.  A few minutes later, as the staff member had not yet returned, I checked the departure board again and a 1532 departure to Weymouth from platform 4 was shown with an expected departure of 1535.  By this time it was 1534 and those of you who know Bournemouth will know that it is a very long way from the entrance on platform 3 to platform 4.  As you may guess the train departed when I was only half way there, although there did not appear to be any member of station staff dispatching it.  By this time another member of staff arrived from Platform 2 and I raised the question of the next Weymouth train with him.  He went into an office and a lady appeared and asked him to get someone to announce the 1532 train.  She was very surprised, and initially disbelieving, when I told her it had departed as she had clearly only just been made aware of that train which it appeared was a replacement starting at Bournemouth.  She ten went into the office again and shortly returned to say that there was no indication of any Weymouth train in the forseeable future.  At this point, on her advice,  I gave up and returned home via Southampton, although the 1637 Salisbury service was cancelled due to lack of staff.
I have no criticism at all of the station staff that I dealt with who were very helpful and sympathetic in difficult circumstances.  However communications to them and to passengers was appalling.  Why was incorrect information provided at Southampton, both visually and verbally and not corrected when the error should have become apparent?  Why was the 1532 From Bournemouth allowed to depart before it had even been announced and who authorised that departure?  These are serious questions that SWR ought to be addressing.  At times of disruption information to passengers must be given promptly, frequently and be correct.  This did not happen today.  When I left Bournemouth there were still a number of passengers still awaiting a train towards Weymouth. I hope that they eventually got there, although with at least the next two Weymouth trains showing as cancelled they probably had a long wait.
Rant over
P.S.  If any senior SWR management lurk on the forum please take this up and let us all know the reasons behind this

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 22:49:32 »

Yes I too travelled from Hinton Admiral to Poole and back, without going into too much detail, complete and utter lack of comunications, seemed to be a lot of gurads and drivers on the cousions. all displaced I guess, also over heard a few converstatins between staf along the lines of 'dont understand why I wasnt called to work xyz, rather than being sent home'
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 00:05:05 »

My journey from Poole this evening was cancelled. Fortunately the previous train was running late so I was able to catch that. At Woking, just a short delay for the Guildford train. At Guildford my next train was cancelled, the last train of the night. Fortunately platform staff put me in a taxi for the last leg and I got home earlier than I had planned for.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 01:44:20 »

Seemed like the plan was to get the trains back to Northam/Bournemouth etc for their planned Sunday servicing, rather than customers or staff being kept happy, all about the contract with Siemens I guess.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: