17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 04:35:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC Radio Bristol Weds 18 September. Bristol Western Docks  (Read 2866 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2019, 19:51:49 »

It seems BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio Bristol are interviewing Mayor Marv tomorrow about the western dock development plans that were discussed on a thread here recently due to their transport implications.
Marv will be on the early morning show that ends at 9am but apparently the subject will continue to be discussed through the morning on the following (John Darvall) show.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 21:16:30 »

Marvs up for re-election next May so is this a prelude to electioneering. I say scrap the Western Harbour development as it stands now cos these consultants don't seem to have grasped the nettle. Widen the original Swing Bridge, easy, er no said I.

At present when bridge swings one side of the swung bridge sits flush with the harbour channel wall. Widen the bridge and one side of the bridge will intrude over harbour channel wall impeding passage of vessels. Simple said the experts when I visited the displayed options at that church hall in Hotwells. We'll widen the channel to give the same beam (width of channel I think he means) as now, er, not so simple matey. Widening the channel means that the half of the roadway that spans the channel will have to be lengthend and thus will make the swinging road way unbalanced. We'll rebalance the bridge with weights. And where will you put these weights said I. Hang them under the bridges shorter piece of roadway that doesn't span water was the reply. Impossible said I, the bridge swings in what I would term a turntable pit so you'd have to modify that pit. Anyway isn't the swing bridge listed ? at which point the expert promptly walked away and residents earwagging remarked that I had won the argument. I can't see that all the traffic presently using the Plimsoll Bridge being able to be accommodated over the original Cumberland Basin bridge and I would hate it for those running BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) to build bridges downstream of CB which would desecrate the views from CB of Brunels masterpiece, Clifton Suspension Bridge.

Back to the drawing board Merv.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 07:30:29 »

I think there will also be a face book interactive talk on wednesday evening,keep listening to radio bristol for further info.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 08:37:32 »

I thought all three variants removed the Plymsoll Bridge, replacing it with something else usually in a different location, rather than widening it? Perhaps I'm mixing it up with some other scheme though.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 09:41:24 »

I thought all three variants removed the Plymsoll Bridge, replacing it with something else usually in a different location, rather than widening it? Perhaps I'm mixing it up with some other scheme though.

Yes, correct, BUT, there are seven other options explored by the consultants report not yet divulged to Joe Public and if BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) have their way won't. Joe Public has the right to know what their Council Tax money is spent on.

The Eastern Option envisages a widened Merchants Road bridge which is the original road bridge but on re-reading it, it seems the text, as I read it, suggests a NEW widened Merchants Road swing bridge which will still mean major works to the harbour infrastructure to accommodate this IF it is possible. This option is the only one NOT to have a bridge downstream to blight the view of the Clifton Suspension Bridge.

Leave it as it is, yes, remove the stretches of roadway never / rarely used and build homes on the Downs, Eastville Park and Horfield Common instead. The Downs alone would provide enough homes to house all those on Bristols housing list for social housing.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 20:50:24 »

Mid morning debates on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Briz did mention the fact that some options were "hidden" from the conversation. I think (correct me if I am wrong) this was mentioned previously by a furry tailed moderator on this forum (apologies if I have mis-attributed this RS). Old red trousers did bring this up, I seem to recall, on John Darvall's slot but I had to leave Redland Towers before there was any come back. It would be interesting to hear how the options offered to the public were arrived at.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 22:07:55 »

Unfortunately I had to miss listening to RB this morning. Have to have an early night and listen on catch up but as I have previously stated on this forum, I was at the Hotwells Church display of this crappy scheme. Unknown to me, as I was spouting off to local residents about how my old art master at Cotham Grammar School, Gerry Hicks and his wifes actions prevented BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) filling in the Floating Harbour and driving a motorway through it, Red Trousers was earwagging and suddenly I heard a voice say, "yes, I worked with Gerry and Ann(e) on that", and it was RT himself confirming that I was not "bullshitting" about how the Floating Harbour was saved.

I'm hoping that either tomorrow or Friday I can find an hour or so to Visit English Heritages offices in Queen Square to investigate what can they do to provide the dynamite to blow this scheme out of the water.

The Plimsoll Bridge is not a pretty bridge, it is probably unique in being the only swing bridge in the UK (United Kingdom) that swings on a major route into a city. Although built in the 20th Century (1960's), it is, in my eyes, worthy of preservation as an example of that centuries architecture / structures which should join those which have to date already been listed.

Here's hoping.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 07:33:23 »

Here's hoping.

Had a text from a friend saying my post signing off as above was a rather abrupt 2 word sentence ending to the post and made suggestions so here's the extended 2 word sentence ;-

Here's hoping that after next Mays Mayoral Election, and before he can do more damage to the city, Marv can enjoy the privilege of joining the queue for Universal Credit.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 13:03:15 »

The Plimsoll Bridge is not a pretty bridge, it is probably unique in being the only swing bridge in the UK (United Kingdom) that swings on a major route into a city. Although built in the 20th Century (1960's), it is, in my eyes, worthy of preservation as an example of that centuries architecture / structures which should join those which have to date already been listed.

It's also very impressive to watch the dual carriageway swing and then to see the boats and ships pass through, particularly with the backdrop of the Suspension Bridge.  Worth saving for that alone I think.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: