Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:32:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing petrol  (Read 21588 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2021, 18:45:27 »

As has already been said, the current petrol panic is largely due to panic buying with no shortage of the fuel at depots and refineries.
That however might change. Greenpeace have blockaded the Shell oil facility at Rotterdam. If this is long continued or repeated elsewhere then there is the potential for actual shortages.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211004-greenpeace-boats-block-dutch-shell-refinery
Oh please no!!!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2021, 19:24:20 »

As has already been said, the current petrol panic is largely due to panic buying with no shortage of the fuel at depots and refineries.
That however might change. Greenpeace have blockaded the Shell oil facility at Rotterdam. If this is long continued or repeated elsewhere then there is the potential for actual shortages.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211004-greenpeace-boats-block-dutch-shell-refinery
Oh please no!!!

I was just completing my petrol station manager training at a Texaco in Portsmouth when the fuel protests/blockades of September 2000 took place, and to say that it was a baptism of fire would be somewhat of an understatement. When it ended, we were told that had it gone on any longer that we would have had to prepare - and I can still quote exactly - for a "breakdown of society event" - The situation was considered that serious.

Less than a month later I was managing my own petrol station in Gosport, and it was as if it never happened. I wouldnt want to go through the experience again though, and certainly not beyond the extent it got to in 2000.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2021, 19:44:38 »

When you combine the petrol station issue with the antics of insulate Britain around and now in London, that “breakdown of society event” may not be far off.

When you are attempting to change the way we do things that improves the environment around us you need the public on your side and right now neither the government or these protesters have them on their side.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2021, 20:03:53 »

When you combine the petrol station issue with the antics of insulate Britain around and now in London, that “breakdown of society event” may not be far off.

When you are attempting to change the way we do things that improves the environment around us you need the public on your side and right now neither the government or these protesters have them on their side.

Indeed. Whilst I have considerable sympathy with the aims of "insulate Britain" They are making themselves very unpopular indeed. Some have been forcibly removed by enraged drivers.
Sooner or later an even more enraged driver will simply run them over. If the police attempted to arrest the driver I suspect that they would have a large and very angry mob on their hands. The mob might well succeed in releasing the motorist.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2021, 01:52:58 »

I was just completing my petrol station manager training at a Texaco in Portsmouth when the fuel protests/blockades of September 2000 took place, and to say that it was a baptism of fire would be somewhat of an understatement. When it ended, we were told that had it gone on any longer that we would have had to prepare - and I can still quote exactly - for a "breakdown of society event" - The situation was considered that serious.

Less than a month later I was managing my own petrol station in Gosport, and it was as if it never happened. I wouldnt want to go through the experience again though, and certainly not beyond the extent it got to in 2000.

The situation in 2000 would not have been allowed to progress to a "breakdown of society event" As a very last resort martial  law could have been declared and the protesters removed with as much violence as needed, including simply running them over or shooting them.

Of much greater concern in my view would be events overseas that reduce the supply of oil into the UK (United Kingdom). No amount of armed force applied WITHIN the UK would increase the supply in such a situation.

This novel is about that sort of thing, and I recommend it.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/s/alex-scarrow/last-light.htm

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2021, 02:38:26 »

Really, broadgage?

The UK (United Kingdom) doesn't, and actually can't, even under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004, run over and shoot peaceful protesters. That would be illegal under the Human Rights Act 1998. HRA 1998 is the one piece of legislation that cannot be amended, superseded or ignored when enacting emergency measures under CCA 2004. Even if the protesters turned violent there wouldn't be an order to arbitrarily kill civilians. Arrests, military backed dispersal, curfews, road blocks... all yes. Shoot-to-kill? No.

Judicial processes would still function under the Civil Contingencies Act.

If you want to further enflame civil unrest then extra-judicial killing is certainly the way to go. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 02:55:09 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2021, 02:57:03 »

Really, broadgage?

The UK (United Kingdom) doesn't, and actually can't, even under the Civil Contingencies Act 2004, run over and shoot peaceful protesters. That would illegal under the Human Rights Act 1998. HRA 1998 is the one piece of legislation that cannot be amended, superceded or ignored when enacting emergency measures under CCA 2004. Even if the protesters turned violent there wouldn't be an order to arbitrarily kill civilians. Arrests, military backed dispersal, curfews, road blocks... all yes. Shoot-to-kill? No.

Judicial processes would still function under the Civil Contingencies Act.

If you want to further enflame civil unrest then extra-judicial killing is certainly the way to go. Roll Eyes

It seems unlikely, but is I suspect just about possible under extreme circumstances. And of course in wartime "saboteurs" can be shot out of hand.

If you wish to cheer yourself up, try reading "Last Light" which will hopefully remain fiction.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2021, 03:09:23 »

What is and isn't possible is defined by law.

And we're talking about civil unrest, not war. Can civil unrest lead to civil war? Absolutely. But a fuel shortage or protest is a long, long way from outright war.

One thing is certain though. If there was major civil unrest and an armed uprising then those that have a stash of petrol and other supplies are going to be targets.

EDIT: Oh, and I've read Alex Scarrow's 'Last Light' and quite a few other 'apocalypse' thrillers. Good escapist fun, but the premise would never happen. I read HG Wells and listened to Jeff Wayne as a kid. I'm still waiting for Martians to land on Horsell Common.  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 03:22:00 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2022, 00:53:57 »

Those who have NOT already prudently stocked petrol, might need to start panic buying.

Considerable disruption to European distribution of oil and oil products is reported due to a large hacking attack on oil infrastructure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-60250956

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2022, 11:59:04 »

I'd suggest that if there is to be a continent-wide shortage of oil products, priority should go to emergency services followed by power stations and heating of essential buildings (eg hospitals), distribution of food and similar, with personal transport use way down the list.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2022, 12:19:59 »

Agree entirely, and such a scheme would no doubt be introduced, a bit too late.

Very few hospitals use oil for heating, gas is almost universal. Though there are unrelated concerns WRT (with regard to ) to natural gas supply.

Very few power stations burn oil, gas is almost universal. Some gas fired power stations CAN burn light oil as an emergency alternative in case of a gas shortage.

The main concern would be road transport which is almost entirely oil powered. Most motorists accept the need for giving priority to essential users, provided of course that THEY are essential users, it is the others who should cut back !

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2022, 12:51:57 »

Some reports suggest that the cyber attack on the oil industry is getting worse.
https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252512974/Cyber-attacks-on-European-oil-facilities-spreading

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2022, 15:27:47 »

Those who have NOT already prudently stocked petrol, might need to start panic buying.

Considerable disruption to European distribution of oil and oil products is reported due to a large hacking attack on oil infrastructure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-60250956

I stopped and filled up at Trago Mills on the way home from Plymouth today. It always looks like the start of the apocalypse there, but the fuel is "cheap". This will hopefully be over by the time I need to fill up again.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2022, 15:48:14 »

Remember everyone, the quicker you panic the less of a panic it will be for you.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2022, 16:03:20 »

KEEP CALM
    AND
DON'T PANIC

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: