Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:32:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing petrol  (Read 21579 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 17:08:54 »

I've moved these posts to a new topic as this thread had wandered rather a long way from 'Climate protests in Bristol'

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 17:43:17 »

That lawnmower website has, I think, got the essentials right – the 30 litre limit, not keeping it in a dwelling, etc – but for some reason been overly cautious and prescriptive on the type of container. Perhaps because those are just the most common types of container used by lawnmowerists?

I only linked to it because it was the first site that came up in a quick search; I did edit my post to include a link to the official HSE (Health and Safety Executive) rules. Broadgage's 30 litres do seem to be legal, as long as the building is subject to adequate ventilation etc. I do wonder what the local fire brigade and also the police, for different reasons, would say though!

I reckon he's a secret revolutionary, he's probably the sort of chap who likes his steak well done (on the Pullman and elsewhere) so petrol bombs hold no fear for him! To the barricades comrades! for buffets and no more IETs (Intercity Express Train)Wink
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 18:05:47 »

My reserve petrol is for any friends who drive here and cant obtain petrol to return, for neighbours from whom I might want a favour, or possibly other uses not yet foreseen.
I'm baffled.  How many friends do you ever expect to turn up and not have enough petrol to get them as far as the nearest open filling station? If you're being that prudent I hope you have a similar supply of diesel in case any of your friends have cars so powered.  And if you need a favour then much much safer that you give them a couple of quid or a bottle of wine than start to decant fuel into their vehicle.

But seriously, although I think we've established that it's not illegal, if there ever was any question as to your motivation for keeping such a large amount of fuel on the premises, your reasons would be laughed out of hand by whichever authority was interested as totally implausible and to be hiding another motive.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2019, 23:13:42 »

I reckon he's a secret revolutionary, he's probably the sort of chap who likes his steak well done (on the Pullman and elsewhere) so petrol bombs hold no fear for him! To the barricades comrades! for buffets and no more IETs (Intercity Express Train)Wink

Young sir, you again tend to exaggerate a little.
I prefer my steak to be medium to rare.
I have never made a petrol bomb, nor manned a barricade.
I would like to see the return of proper trains with buffets, but would not resort to violence over such matters.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2019, 23:33:13 »

My reserve petrol is for any friends who drive here and cant obtain petrol to return, for neighbours from whom I might want a favour, or possibly other uses not yet foreseen.
I'm baffled.  How many friends do you ever expect to turn up and not have enough petrol to get them as far as the nearest open filling station? If you're being that prudent I hope you have a similar supply of diesel in case any of your friends have cars so powered.  And if you need a favour then much much safer that you give them a couple of quid or a bottle of wine than start to decant fuel into their vehicle.

But seriously, although I think we've established that it's not illegal, if there ever was any question as to your motivation for keeping such a large amount of fuel on the premises, your reasons would be laughed out of hand by whichever authority was interested as totally implausible and to be hiding another motive.

30 litres is only enough to get one vehicle back to London in an emergency. If any serious emergency occurred one can not expect to find an open filling station.
In some emergencies, a can of petrol could be very valuable indeed, much more so than a few pounds or a bottle of drink.
The last time that my reserve was used "in anger" was during the fuel price protests and blockades. A neighbour was very glad of it, having already used their own reserve.
And yes I do keep a small supply of diesel fuel.

I doubt that the fire brigade or police would be very interested in a small and legal supply. Many people in rural areas store petrol far in excess of that permitted, and often in dubious circumstances.
With common sense precautions, I see little risk in decanting petrol from a jerry can into a vehicle.
No smoking, no other flames or sparks nearby, touch the can with one hand and the vehicle with the other to discharge any static electricity, preferably decant in daylight, or use an intrinsically safe flashlight, or an electric light a safe distance away, or other safe light source.

"Did you hear about poor old Harry ? He struck a match to inspect the level in his petrol tank !"
"What ! you would think that would be the last thing he would do"

"It was"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 13:18:37 »

An emergency serious enough to close every petrol station between Broadgage Towers and London would probably require alternative transport desirable. For some reason, I'm reminded of The Changes trilogy, particularly the last one, The Weathermonger.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2019, 15:51:59 »

I never panic buy, but have done some prudent stocking up.
I lay in prudent stocks.
You hoard.
He panic buys.
 Wink

The airline hedges.

My 2 or 3 litres (until at least Hallowe'en) is primarily for my lawnmower, but nearly got used to take me to Taunton, where petrol is much cheaper. My neighbours are very pleasant, but should make their own arrangements. As for other uses, as yet unseen? But while the police, army, fire brigade or local council may not be worried about my stash, I am. It is in a sealed container of the approved type, by the door of my garage, away from the balanced flue boiler, and as well ventilated as I can make it. I might be daft, but I'm not stupid.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:15:11 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2019, 16:44:22 »

Ahh, someone else who fills up in Taunton. I try to whenever I visit the family. It's currently 5p a litre cheaper in Taunton compared to Morrison's Wincanton, which is the cheapest near Templecombe.

Taunton is consistently one of cheapest places for petrol/diesel in the UK (United Kingdom). One reason is that there are 4 supermarket filling stations in the town. Another reason is the Sainsbury's at Hankridge Farm's proximity to the M5, A38 and A358. Saturday's at Sainsbury's Hankridge Farm can be a nightmare, when it seems everyone from Somerset (and the odd one from Devon like TonyK  Wink) descends on the petrol station there.

An acquaintance who used to work for Sainsbury's told me that the petrol station at Hankridge Farm sells more fuel than any other Sainsbury's in the UK.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2019, 18:50:28 »

An emergency serious enough to close every petrol station between Broadgage Towers and London would probably require alternative transport desirable. For some reason, I'm reminded of The Changes trilogy, particularly the last one, The Weathermonger.

Gosh, The Changes on BBC1 scared me witless when I was young even though it was a childrens programme. The soundtrack had fairly haunting music I seem to recall. It's on YouTube but I haven't got round to watching it yet.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 19:29:51 »

The Sainsbury's just off J12 of the M4 used to have very cheap petrol back in the 90s, perhaps for similar reasons.

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 19:37:46 »

One reason is that there are 4 supermarket filling stations in the town.

That would seem to be a logical statement...........but.............the cheapest place that I know of is Tesco in Calne - with no local competition there whatsoever. Always much cheaper than anywhere in the Warminster/Trowbridge/Salisbury areas.  Whenever I visit my daughter there the car is always down to its last cupful !
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2019, 20:24:07 »

The Sainsbury's just off J12 of the M4 used to have very cheap petrol back in the 90s, perhaps for similar reasons.

In those days it was Savacentre - a joint enterprise between Sainsbury’s and British Home Stores. 

Look what happened to BHS! 
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2019, 09:35:51 »

Yes, it was Savacentre, but I didn't know there was any BHS involvement; thought it was just another 'brand' of Sainsbury's, similar to 'Tesco Metro' etc nowadays. I don't remember ever seeing any other branch of Savacentre anywhere!

patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2019, 09:37:50 »

I think broadgage's avatar gives another clue to why he stores petrol (coincidentally contemporaneous with The Changes)...
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2019, 11:19:01 »

Ahh, someone else who fills up in Taunton. I try to whenever I visit the family. It's currently 5p a litre cheaper in Taunton compared to Morrison's Wincanton, which is the cheapest near Templecombe.

I never go there just to fill up, but always do en passant[/url]. I arrive on fumes. My normal fuel uplift in Tiverton is a tenner.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: