Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads
13:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 07:56:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing petrol  (Read 21748 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2019, 12:30:09 »

I think broadgage's avatar gives another clue to why he stores petrol (coincidentally contemporaneous with The Changes)...

Yes.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2019, 12:48:26 »

I think broadgage's avatar gives another clue to why he stores petrol (coincidentally contemporaneous with The Changes)...

Yes.

Aha! Brilliant!

So here's a little riddle: Which physical artefact links Survivors with The Good Life?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2019, 12:57:24 »

So here's a little riddle: Which physical artefact links Survivors with The Good Life?

Too easy for a Survivors fan: Jerry Leadbetter's yellow Volvo estate was also Abby Grant's car. Although I preferred her hubby's Jensen Interceptor (a corner of which is visible in the aforementioned avatar).

I claim my prize  Grin

Oh, and don't eat the fish...
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2019, 13:22:47 »

Yup; DJH 180K

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2019, 17:09:11 »

Too easy for a Survivors fan: Jerry Leadbetter's yellow Volvo estate was also Abby Grant's car. Although I preferred her hubby's Jensen Interceptor (a corner of which is visible in the aforementioned avatar).

I claim my prize  Grin

Oh, and don't eat the fish...
Is that a Jensen Interceptor in Broadgage's avatar? I thought it was an Austin Allegro! A car which I personally remember from the 70s and am in no hurry to see again. As for the Interceptor, I've never seen Survivors but I did read a story in the Puffin Annual circa 1976 which involved an Interceptor – with no petrol! – in some sort of post-industrial neo-agrarian future dictatorship. Clearly it was the post-apocalyptic vehicle of choice.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2019, 17:34:49 »

Yup, it's definitely a Jensen Interceptor. The avatar is a screencap from the first episode of the 1975 BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) drama Survivors. The station is Great Malvern, dressed up as 'Brimpsfield'. Brimpsfield is actually a village in Gloucestershire (round about the end of the dualled bit of the A417 near Birdlip). Someone from the production team (possibly producer, Terence Dudley) used to drive past the signpost regularly and borrowed the name.

The Jensen never appeared after that but the yellow Volvo turned up in a few more episodes.

FWIW (for what it's worth) - I agree with you about the Austin Allegro!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2019, 18:20:07 »

The Jensen Interceptor 'starred' in a fair few movies and TV series in the 60s and 70s. And even into the 1980s where one was The Saint's (Simon Templar played by Simon Ditton) car in a  series of TV movies.

The Champions, The Persuaders, The Protectors, The Sweeney The Professionals, The Saint... all have featured the Interceptor.

There's a good chance that the Interceptor would appear in any  60s-80s 'good guys v bad guys' TV shows. Production Designers seemingly liked them.

Oh, and it's one of the cars I'll have in my collection when I win the lottery. It'll look good alongside the Triumph Stag and Aston Martin Lagonda.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2019, 18:22:46 »

I agree with you about the Austin Allegro!

My dad had one - square steering wheel and all! Great caravan towing cars - their rear wheels were so close to the tow hitch.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2019, 20:21:04 »

"is that what life is worth nowadays. Fifty gallons of petrol. God help as all"

Series one, episode 12. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw5yAbFiC3U

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2019, 09:40:36 »

I didn't recognise the name but realise I've been through Brimpsfield several times, sometimes from Birdlip, sometimes from Cowley, sometimes up from Slad. Never on a train! Wink

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 10:12:47 »

The Jensen Interceptor 'starred' in a fair few movies and TV series in the 60s and 70s. And even into the 1980s where one was The Saint's (Simon Templar played by Simon Ditton) car in a  series of TV movies.

The Champions, The Persuaders, The Protectors, The Sweeney The Professionals, The Saint... all have featured the Interceptor.

There's a good chance that the Interceptor would appear in any  60s-80s 'good guys v bad guys' TV shows. Production Designers seemingly liked them.

Oh, and it's one of the cars I'll have in my collection when I win the lottery. It'll look good alongside the Triumph Stag and Aston Martin Lagonda.

I have never owned either, but I have driven both a Triumph Shag and an Austin Legover. The Stag was borrowed to impress a lady. It wasn't easy to drive, as it kept pulling over to the middle of the road unless I steered heavily to the left. Less than a week later, the offside rear wheel fell off accompanied by the half-shaft, thankfully under the command of the owner.

The Allegro belonged to my mate's auntie, who lived halfway up the Great Orme. She complained about how sluggish it was. It was 3 years old and had done under 5,000 miles, half of it free-wheeling to Llandudno, or down the other half of the Great Orme. We drove it to Chester and back at the sort of speed you do when you are young and immortal, starting at midnight. My pal  changed the oil the following morning, and his auntie thought it was much improved.

I currently drive a British-made car (Nissan), although I might trade it in for an Austin Brexit.

Now, please!
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2019, 10:29:32 »

A mate of mine owned a Triumph Snag and, one lovely summer's day in the mid-1970s, we drove up to Shropshire with the roof down. Although it was one of the rare occasions that it didn't overheat, what we didn't know was that there was a microscopic oil leak from the rocker cover. I can assure you that aerosolized Castrol 10W/40 makes a mockery of Brylcreem. When we got there, my hair looked like Bridget Jones's after Hugh Grant drove her down to the country. I had to flatten it with a shovel.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2019, 22:29:51 »

My goodness - nostalgia overload this evening for someone who used to drive his Allegros (I owned two!) to go shopping at the Savacentre at Calcot/junction 12 catching up on coffee shop posts.

The first was a high mileage ex-journalist's hack that had seen better days, and was kept going at reduced cost by virtue of the fact that my brother worked for a BL subsidiary which meant staff discount on spares. It took two friends and myself, a frame tent, camping equipment and a fortnight's supplies on a trip down to Switzerland then around a circuit of the Alps, briefly into Italy and over several famous passes including the Simplon, and also was used for a high speed dash across the Netherlands when visiting a friend working there.

The second by contrast was a low-mileage well cared for one that served me well for two and a half years, and only almost let me down once - when the ignition light came on driving down to the New Forest. I called into the garage at the roundabout at Sutton Scotney, bought a new alternator, got my tool box out and swapped it out and was on my way again in half an hour - happy days!

I think I've worked out the real reason Broadgage claims to store a bizarre amount of petrol at home - it's to set ablaze a bonfire of thread drift on the forum!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:30:52 by eightonedee » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2019, 16:45:04 »

The first was a high mileage ex-journalist's hack that had seen better days, and was kept going at reduced cost by virtue of the fact that my brother worked for a BL subsidiary which meant staff discount on spares.

My brother used to spend most weekends sourcing bits for his Morris 1000 at a certain scrapyard up north. This even continued on holiday - I towed him from Strensham services to Bristol, then spent the folllowing mrning at a Bristol scrapyard. One day, his local man asked what he was looking for that day. "I'm not. I'm leaving the car this time," he said.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2021, 12:24:24 »

The latest petrol panic is growing, with a significant number of filling stations running out, and long queues at others.
I may yet be glad of my modest supply.

I expect that the panic will spread to heating oil when the populace realise that it is delivered by the same pool of drivers and in similar tankers.

An acquaintance of mine was blocked into his own driveway by persons queueing for petrol, and the police felt unable to intervene.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: