Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:34:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing petrol  (Read 21582 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2021, 12:59:30 »

You could sell some of your stock at a premium! Then simply buy some more in a couple of weeks when people are tired of panicking.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2021, 13:27:14 »

You could sell some of your stock at a premium! Then simply buy some more in a couple of weeks when people are tired of panicking.

Which reminds me - is anyone short of toilet roll? I need the spare bedrooms back soon.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2021, 14:03:47 »

Are there sunflowers in the garden at Broadgage Towers? They would look very pretty around the pumps at "Broadgage Petroleum".  Grin

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2021, 16:39:18 »

The latest petrol panic is growing, with a significant number of filling stations running out, and long queues at others.
I may yet be glad of my modest supply.

More than 30 litres Broadgage?

If so I'm sure you will have informed your local Petroleum Enforcement Authority, as required by law?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2021, 17:43:02 »

No more than 30 liters as has previously discussed. Stored in two purpose made steel jerry cans each with a capacity of 20 liters but only containing 15 liters.
Red in colour and clearly marked as to contents.

Similar cans but blue in colour are used for paraffin, there is no limit on paraffin storage AFAIK (as far as I know).

Stored in an outbuilding.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2021, 18:01:19 »

I hope the country won't talk it's way into a panic buy scenario.  The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news website today put the amount of petrol stations running out of supply as around 1% of the 8380 in the UK (United Kingdom).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2021, 18:37:58 »

I've seen several social media posts where people are blaming traditional media for the panic buying.

I've not read a single news item that tells people to stock up. In fact, nearly all items have quotes from industry and politicians saying there is no need to panic buy.

Classic cases of shooting the messenger.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2021, 18:52:11 »

I've seen several social media posts where people are blaming traditional media for the panic buying.

I've not read a single news item that tells people to stock up. In fact, nearly all items have quotes from industry and politicians saying there is no need to panic buy.

It was only when the government said there was no need to panic that I realised how serious this is, and panicked.

Now, please!
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2021, 19:10:15 »

Some newspapers ran some pretty dramatic headlines today:

Now we are running on empty (Daily Mail)
Alarm as BP» (Beyond Petroleum (Former name - British Petroleum) - home page) begins petrol rationing (Daily Telegraph)
Warning of fuel supply shortages amid supply chain crisis (Guardian)
Fuel rationed ... (The i)
Out of fuel: Delivery block closes pumps (FT)

The actual contents mainly have a "don't panic" theme by and large (words used in The Times headline) and "no real shortage" but this was too late.

These supply hiccups have been going on for a month or so with no scare headlines.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2021, 19:37:42 »

I suspect that this shortage will not amount to much.
There is plenty of petrol at refineries and bulk storage depots. The problem is a shortage of delivery drivers.
That can be overcome by more efficient delivery planning, and if need be by military drivers.

Any actual shortage of petrol at refineries would be more serious, but I see no sign of that.

Prudent to be prepared though, just in case.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2021, 20:49:28 »

There is plenty of petrol at refineries and bulk storage depots. The problem is a shortage of delivery drivers.
That can be overcome by more efficient delivery planning, and if need be by military drivers.

Any actual shortage of petrol at refineries would be more serious, but I see no sign of that.

Prudent to be prepared though, just in case.

The other problem is people topping up just in case, causing long queues at petrol stations. Stories are emerging of people buying £10 worth of petrol and filling cans.

How long does one leave it before taking on petrol? I usually top up when the tank is four-fifths empty, at the moment it's just over half full. I won't be joining any queues, but on short journeys over the weekend will be passing several petrol stations early in the day and if they're quiet might be tempted to pull in. Most of my driving is not essential, so morally should I leave it another week or two and hope that the panic is over?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2021, 21:42:10 »

It was only when the government said there was no need to panic that I realised how serious this is, and panicked.
liked by Corporal Jones, Walmington-on-Sea
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2021, 22:01:14 »

There is plenty of petrol at refineries and bulk storage depots.

Not really. The refinery blockades of a few years back (when I was driving a LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) car and wasn't even remotely affected) showed what a just-in-time thing fuel is. It isn't quite out of oil tanker, through the refinery, into petrol tanker then straight to Tesco just before the pumps run dry, but it isn't far from it. The seven refineries produced 61 million tonnes of refined product in 2015, which includes heating and aviation as well as ground transport. If we assume that production is broadly similar at about 1.2 million tonnes weekly. I wouldn't be surprised if there was as much fuel in vehicle fuel tanks, fuel station forecourt tanks, and delivery tankers as there is stored in bulk as a reserve. There are about 60 storage terminals around the country, many receiving the motion potion by pipeline from the refineries to dispense into tankers for delivery by road to fuel stations - this is currently the weak link in the chain. Major airports receive fuel by pipeline, so are not going to be affected.

But I don't think the shortage will come to a great deal despite this. Some of the pumps were out of action when I filled up (from necessity) yesterday, but enough weren't, and there seemed no great urgency. We don't all fill up the car daily, and, broadgage excepted, don't have facilities for storage at home. I have a 5-litre "can" for the lawnmower, and that is the lot. I fill up usually when I have to, or if I am passing somewhere cheaper than the norm (like Sainsbury in Taunton) but I wouldn't bother unless I was down to a half tank, and normally wait until I get warned. If everybody tops up, it might mean a week of slight shortages.

Now, please!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2021, 13:01:24 »

All this talk Of storing petrol makes me think,that those who do need to be mindful of the fact that E10 which is now standard unleaded petrol does not last anywhere near as long as its predecessor when stored in any form of container, most noticeably when kept for longer periods in metal Jerrycans it releases water vapour,that leads to rusting of the inside of said cans and subsequent contamination of the stored fuel
Thought you might like to know !..
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2021, 13:17:32 »

It did amuse me that the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) sent a reporter to see the situation at a Stockport Petrol Station called Phil McCann.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: