Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:45:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[87] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[81] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[72] Return of the BRUTE?
[61] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing petrol  (Read 21584 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2021, 19:49:52 »

remembering that fingers were invented before forks.

Disposable cutlery can be useful for emergencies...

It's a bit hard to turn over your vegetable patch with your fingers!

Disposable cutlery should be avoided too, unless biodegradable/compostable.

I have an existing stash of disposable plastic cutlery for emergencies. The environmental  harm from manufacture has already been done, and nothing is to be gained by discarding the items unused.
I do not intend to buy any more plastic cutlery, any future purchases will be the biodegradable wood sort.
The ultimate in disposable cutlery is a piece of bread, particularly flat bread such as chappatti or naan, which functions as spoon and fork. As for washing up, it can be done in cold water, as it can also be done without detergents (sand is good). If water itself is in short supply, we probably have more pressing worries than dirty cutlery.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2021, 20:01:55 »

If water itself is in short supply, we probably have more pressing worries than dirty cutlery.

Passers by are amazed when they see me produce water from my butt.

Now, please!
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2021, 10:01:01 »

Passers by are amazed when they see me produce water from my butt.

I line worthy of the pen belonging to Mick Sturbs and read by Terry Wogan
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2021, 18:43:23 »

Moving back to petrol, things appeared normal this morning when I drove to Tiverton, or at least as normal as they get. Tesco had a couple of customers filling up, the expensive independent garage had its usual empty forecourt, and a fuel tanker driven by someone in civilian clobber passed by, en route maybe to the other indie, or Morrison. All was calm, with no pitchforks in evidence.

Now, please!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2021, 19:57:35 »

Spotted on Twitter...

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2021, 12:33:02 »

The situation does appear to have improved markedly.
The nearest filling station to me has a short queue, but not "rabid" as was the case a few days ago.

Heating oil deliveries are reported as being delayed by "a few days" I suspect that petrol and diesel was prioritised  over heating oil, a reasonable response. Outside the main heating season, heating oil is often available next day.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2021, 12:40:55 »

We've not seen any problems at all at our local filling station...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2021, 08:17:17 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58735299

End of Furlough ...

The number of workers on furlough has fallen steadily this year as lockdown restrictions eased and businesses reopened but the latest figures available showed about 1.6 million remained on the scheme in July.

[snip]

But the foundation's recent research suggested that a small rise in unemployment was a "real risk" for those still on the scheme as it ends, particularly older workers or those in the travel sector.

[snip]

According to Citizens Advice, people could work elsewhere while furloughed - if their employment contract allowed.
Many forecasters, including the Bank of England, are expecting a small rise in unemployment now the scheme has ended.

It would be simplistic to suggest that there are people in the "travel sector" mentioned who could start helping goods travel around in lorries, wouldn't it?  Yet in reality in a changed world, this sort of re-use of people is very much on the agenda.    And that's whether the changes are due to climate change, Brexit, covid, an ageing population, the greed of business tycoons, the increasingly nanny state, globalisation or because it's the year of the Ox and the month of Libra at present.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2021, 03:49:35 »

This is hilarious.

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):
Fuel supplies: Mortar tanker tailed by drivers looking for petrol

A tanker driver has told how he was tailed by about 20 drivers who were dismayed to discover he was not transporting petrol.

Johnny Anderson, who drives for Weaver Haulage, was transporting 44 tonnes of mortar from Bilston, Wolverhampton, to a building site in Northamptonshire. When he reached his destination, he saw a line of traffic backed up behind him.

"The man at the front... actually said 'You could have stopped and told us you weren't a petrol tanker," he said.

The incident came as lengthy queues formed at forecourts amid petrol and diesel supply problems.

Mr Anderson, from Harworth, Nottinghamshire, said he was delivering cement to the David Wilson Homes development at Overstone on Thursday. He was on the A43 when he first realised he was being followed.

"I didn't notice initially but then on the dual carriageway, I noticed nobody was overtaking me and saw a string of about 20 cars behind me," he said. "When I eventually turned left into a road that would take me to the site entrance, all these cars turned left with me."

Three-quarters of a mile later, when he stopped at the site entrance, he heard car horns honking, he said. Thinking something had fallen off his vehicle, he got out and saw the queue of vehicles.

"The man at the front wound down his window and asked me which petrol station I was going to," he said. "When I said I wasn't, he asked me 'Why not?' and when I said I wasn't carrying petrol, he actually said 'You could have stopped and told us you weren't a petrol tanker.'

"I couldn't believe it... I just went full McEnroe and said 'You cannot be serious!'

"Then the bloke behind asked me where the nearest petrol station was. It just beggars belief."

Mr Anderson, who has been driving double-bellied mortar tankers for about six years, said while it was "quite funny", there was also a serious side. "My cargo isn't dangerous but if they are following a petrol tanker, their training is to call the police if they think they're being followed," he said. "People need to stop and think... driving a tanker, no matter what the product, is quite a pressurised job, so following them puts extra pressure on drivers already under pressure without having to worry about absolute morons."

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2021, 11:51:59 »

And how much petrol was consumed in following the tanker ?
And fuel tankers have to display signs warning of the flammability of the contents, but I suppose you can not expect the average motorist to understand that.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2021, 12:52:07 »

And fuel tankers have to display signs warning of the flammability of the contents, but I suppose you can not expect the average motorist to understand that.

Doesn't everyone know their 3YE-1203 from their 1T-1910?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2021, 14:15:48 »

Not in detail, though I do know that 3YE is commonly applied to petrol tankers, and to other loads that present similar risks, not ONLY petrol.
The numeral 3 warns firefighters that water is not generally* appropriate, and that foam or dry powder should be used in case of fire.
The "E" warns that evacuation should be considered in the event of accident.

If you discover an emergency involving dangerous goods, ring the fire brigade and if possible tell them what hazchem code is on the vehicle or building.

* Water must not be used if the cargo is already on fire. Water can be used if say the engine or cab are on fire, to prevent the fire from heating the cargo.  Water CAN be used if an unrelated fire breaks out near near a petrol tank, to extinguish the fire and prevent spread, or to cool the petrol tanker.
If petrol or gas is already burning, water CAN be used to cool nearby buildings or tanks and prevent spread, but must NOT be applied to the fire.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2021, 16:09:14 »

And how much petrol was consumed in following the tanker ?

Or mortarist, for that matter.

Now, please!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2021, 23:01:27 »

The Highway Code does explain the existence, (but not the detailed meaning), of Hazchem signage - and I think the average motorist is supposed to have read it…

Paul
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2021, 14:49:22 »

As has already been said, the current petrol panic is largely due to panic buying with no shortage of the fuel at depots and refineries.
That however might change. Greenpeace have blockaded the Shell oil facility at Rotterdam. If this is long continued or repeated elsewhere then there is the potential for actual shortages.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211004-greenpeace-boats-block-dutch-shell-refinery

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: