Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:17:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst mistakes tourists can make in London?  (Read 16811 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2019, 12:07:42 »

and when callers ring into radio bristol from LA it
took me ages to work out where in the radio bristol aerial LA was

You mean there's another Long Ashton somewhere else in the world? Grin

I've been to both major LAs. The cider is better in Long Ashton.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2019, 12:16:41 »

And why did the foolish English build Stonehenge so far from a station ? In America, it would have been built near a station.
Likewise, why on earth did they build Windsor Castle under the flight path to a major airport ? very poor planning.

And as for Oxford airport being so far from Oxford street, simply daft.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2019, 19:52:30 »

and who would build a railway line straight through a castle?
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2019, 20:54:34 »

Come to think of it, how far did you say London Luton airport is from actual London?

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2019, 22:10:10 »

Come to think of it, how far did you say London Luton airport is from actual London?
According to Google Maps it is 34 Miles
Stansted on the other hand is 40 miles

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2019, 22:59:18 »

Robert Stephenson - at Conwy?
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2019, 08:38:09 »

Why do those from the other side of the pond think public transport(the train) should be nearer our heritage sites(Stonehenge).

In LA they don't even have pavements as the car always rules.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2019, 18:51:47 »

Why do those from the other side of the pond think public transport(the train) should be nearer our heritage sites(Stonehenge).

In LA they don't even have pavements as the car always rules.

I beg to differ, as one who has been one of only two non-white pedestrians in some of the grand boulevards, and made it perfectly safely to our destination, usually faster than by any other means. We used the almost deserted Metro, at the price for the freedom the greater Los Angeles area, including tram to Pasadena and bus to Santa Monica etc, of a single journey on the bus from Bishopston to Broadmead if you know Bristol.

If you meant Long Ashton, then no, there is no pavement worth talking of from the main drag to the Miners Rest up Providence Lane. You take your life in your very hands, especially given how much cider gets served up there.

Now, please!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2019, 22:33:16 »

Quote from: infoman on September 29, 2019, 07:52:30 pm

Robert Stephenson - at Conwy?

And there's a tunnel right under Rattenberg Castle in Austria. It's on the main line to Zurich from Salzburg. Even though it's a busy line, and there are footpaths to the castle either side, it was entirely unfenced when I was there 20 years ago.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2019, 08:49:54 »

And why did the foolish English build Stonehenge so far from a station ? In America, it would have been built near a station...

I haven't bothered to check, but I think at one time there may have been a proposal to build a civilian railway to Stonehenge. Certainly in 1917 the Larkhill Military Railway was extended to Stonehenge Airfield.

One of various images of the airfield.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2019, 09:03:57 »

Going on to a Tube platform and not moving along the platform. I saw an extreme case of this at Paddington on Friday. A loudspeaker plea for people to move along, otherwise access to the platform might have to be closed, was mostly ignored. No doubt when the train came in people had difficulties boarding.

I walked to the far end of the platform (my usual spot when I commuted to Lambeth North) where there was lots of space and a reasonable amount of room on the last carriage, albeit only for standing. (People do this on Bournemouth beach, arriving on the esplanade and crowding onto a couple of square yards of empty shingle; if they bothered to walk east for eight minutes or so they would usually have far more space.)

A small part of my Government Department's job was to arrange tours for overseas journalists, business people and the like. Headquarters put three such people, with very poor English, on a train at Paddington and told them to get off at Reading. In those days it was called Reading General and when this was announced the trio decided to stay on - and ended up in Bristol, where somehow they had to be rescued.

I wonder how many visitors have gone to Buckingham to see the Palace and to Downton to see the Abbey?

Marlburian
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2019, 11:53:44 »

And why did the foolish English build Stonehenge so far from a station ? In America, it would have been built near a station...

I haven't bothered to check, but I think at one time there may have been a proposal to build a civilian railway to Stonehenge. Certainly in 1917 the Larkhill Military Railway was extended to Stonehenge Airfield.

I can just about imagine a roofed over Stonehenge being about the right shape for a very large prehistoric helicopter pad, but I don’t think it would be much good for fixed wing stuff...   Grin
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2019, 13:13:44 »

I can just about imagine a roofed over Stonehenge being about the right shape for a very large prehistoric helicopter pad, but I don’t think it would be much good for fixed wing stuff...   Grin
A few years back I noticed a book called The Megalithic Empire in the library. It varies from usefully questioning archaeological orthodoxies to crackpot, incorporating a few basic mistakes of easily verified fact along the way (such as the relationship between the Biblical Anne and Mary), but its basic premise is that Stonehenge and similar stone circles were not "used for ritual purposes" but were trade centres, the focus of long distance trade routes and operating as a sort of market and distribution centre. Something like a market with accompanying bus station. But they never suggested a helicopter pad!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2019, 08:22:08 »

I wonder how many visitors have gone to Buckingham to see the Palace and to Downton to see the Abbey?

Marlburian

And perhaps a bit less well known, visited Leeds to see the famous Castle.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2019, 21:59:33 »

I know someone who was stopped in Bolton town centre and asked directions to the Abbey!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: