I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:25:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst mistakes tourists can make in London?  (Read 16813 times)
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2019, 22:21:58 »

Not just tourists but several local people used to make the mistake of getting on the Loddon Bridge park and ride route in Reading, not even questioning the price of the fare, and find themselves in a huge car park under a motorway on the edge of town, next to the bridge over the River Loddon, instead of the metropolis up the road. This used to happen at least once a month in the three years I spent driving the route, even more often once the national concessions pass arrived. The confusion wouldn't happen until the last minute of the journey as the route leaves town by the London Road and even joins the (ex) motorway towards the M4 before leaving one junction later.
Once a chap in a range rover even dropped off two teenage girls at the bus stop at Loddon Bridge and drove off. They then just walked onto the bus without even looking at me and sat themselves down. I asked if they were going to pay and they told me under 16's don't pay in London! Dad probably wasn't too happy to come back and get them.
The route goes to another car park nearby now called Winnersh Triangle so the fun has come to an end for the current crew.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2021, 20:22:59 »

A farming neighbour has two American students staying with him, free accommodation in return for work.

They expressed great surprise that "hard liquor" could be purchased without any ID.
That private possession of handguns is unknown.

Very perplexed at the suggestion that a "boilersuit" should be worn for farm work. Seemed to think that was some fireproof garment, not what they call a coverall.
And more puzzled by my suggestion that an "overall coat" might also be useful "what is that" they enquired, and I replied that I was wearing one. "That looks much too big" I explained that they come in other sizes, not just broadgage sized.

Shocked that no clothes dryer was provided.
And no central heating. Not even electric blankets.
Did not understand duvets either, and disliked them after use was explained.

And seemed astonished at a bull mating cows ! All done by artificial insemination back home.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2021, 09:31:40 »

A farming neighbour has two American students staying with him, free accommodation in return for work.

They expressed great surprise that "hard liquor" could be purchased without any ID.
Depends where though, and of course how old you are. The law says you need to be 18, so retailers extend this to "Challenge 25" which gets interpreted at the till as "anyone under 40 needs to prove their age".

And seemed astonished at a bull mating cows ! All done by artificial insemination back home.

I know someone (in the UK (United Kingdom)) whose job used to include collecting pig semen for artificial insemination. She described this task in terms probably unfit to be used on this forum.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2021, 11:35:38 »

Overall coats, coveralls, and Wellington boots now supplied. Also top sheets and wool blankets for beds.

Tumble dryer=no way, too much electricity used.
Central heating, no way.

Riding a horse on public roads, possibly after some practice on private property.

Still perplexed by the bull. How does he know which cows to mate ? what stops him escaping and mating other cows ? What stops the herd becoming inbred by use of the same bull ? What if he mates too many cows ?

The farmer and myself assured them that cattle were kept and bred successfully long before AI was invented.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2021, 13:26:29 »

Quite a bit is done that way here too. I'm not kidding - straight up, no bull.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: