What do I gain from registering? [here]
 tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 02:11:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: fastest journey time,not quite true?  (Read 10180 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2019, 07:24:58 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) stating that an IET (Intercity Express Train) from Bristol took 72 minutes to reach London Paddington on tuesday evening 24 september
Although an HST (High Speed Train) took 68 minutes to do the same journey back in May 1977.

Did a HST not do a "top of the pops" journey in one hour back in circa 1984/1985?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 10:26:36 »

Clarified in the press release:

https://www.gwr.com/about-us/media-centre/news/2019/september/special-gwr-train-run-posts-modern-speed-record

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 14:56:46 »

If your cassette MP3 player has "American Pie", "Hotel California" and "Bat out of Hell" on, then the journey will MAY be over before all three tracks have played three times through.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 18:39:18 »

Assuming you mean the album versions of said tracks rather than the radio edits.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 12:01:23 »

Did a HST (High Speed Train) not do a "top of the pops" journey in one hour back in circa 1984/1985?

Yes during the programme. Specialy shorted set 2+5? We watched from my garage roof with all the local kids.

Unfortunately it can't be mentioned because of you know who!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 13:59:12 »

Did it in 62 minutes 33 seconds if the following is to be believed:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/top-of-the-pops-train-1984.86066/

Has this particular run been disregarded because a certain individual was aboard at the time?
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 14:36:23 »

Did it in 62 minutes 33 seconds if the following is to be believed:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/top-of-the-pops-train-1984.86066/

Has this particular run been disregarded because a certain individual was aboard at the time?

Well, forgetting certain individuals, the two timings - and these were in the timetable - that stick in my mind are Paddington to Bristol Parkway in 65 minutes and Paddington to Chippenham in 55.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 14:37:36 »

According to this press release, as referred to by II, above:

The Rail Performance Society (RPS) records fastest times in two categories – pre-2008 and post-2008. This reflects the introduction of safer driving practices and speed restrictions from 2008.

According to the RPS, the quickest time recorded between Bristol Temple Meads and London Paddington pre-2008 was 68 minutes 19 seconds, set on 7 May 1977 by a High Speed Train.

Until last night, no speed record had been measured between the two stations post-2008.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 14:41:53 »

According to this press release:

The Rail Performance Society (RPS) records fastest times in two categories – pre-2008 and post-2008. This reflects the introduction of safer driving practices and speed restrictions from 2008.

According to the RPS, the quickest time recorded between Bristol Temple Meads and London Paddington pre-2008 was 68 minutes 19 seconds, set on 7 May 1977 by a High Speed Train.

Until last night, no speed record had been measured between the two stations post-2008.
Which would be correct in saying that as it’s Bristol to London. The Top of the Pops run was London to Bristol.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 14:46:59 »

Since 1977 the approach speeds into Paddington have been significantly reduced, also ATP (Automatic Train Protection) means there is no way of exceeding 125mph (well, 127mph if you don't mind constant warbling!) unless you isolate it which given the Southall crash isn't something to be recommended!  I am guessing rules were somewhat more relaxed in 1977?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 16:17:00 »

Did a HST (High Speed Train) not do a "top of the pops" journey in one hour back in circa 1984/1985?

Yes during the programme. Specialy shorted set 2+5? We watched from my garage roof with all the local kids.

Unfortunately it can't be mentioned because of you know who!

Voldemort!  Shocked
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 16:20:50 »

Yes during the programme. Specialy shorted set 2+5?

I expect Broadgage was outraged.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 16:41:07 »

There used to be videos on YouTube of that particular episode of Top of the Pops. Long since removed. I actually downloaded said videos about 8 years ago, before the death of a certain DJ. Unfortunately they were on a hard drive that later died.

As for whether the record run is now disregarded, it could be that the 'record' is not widely acknowledged due to the speeding that took place. Whilst the 125mph maximum might only have been exceeded by 5mph or so, I believe other sections of the run had sanctioned 'speeding'. I certainly remember, from watching the video, the set came into Temple Meads P3 from Dr Days Junction at a fair old lick and was full anchors on. Simon Bates at platform edge certainly seemed concerned for the safety of the gathered ToTP audience.

Of course, the onboard DJ hasn't helped in keeping the details and videos of the run in the public domain.

EDIT: The only video I can find of that particular episode of Top of the Pops is Howard Jones' performance at Bristol TM(resolve).

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 20:03:05 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 23:07:58 »

Yes during the programme. Specialy shorted set 2+5?

I expect Broadgage was outraged.

No outrage.
No objections to a shortened HST (High Speed Train) for a special "one off" record breaking run.
It is the regular use of new shorter trains on regular services that I object to.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: