Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
Delayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 16:20:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Travelogue observations - 28th September 2019 - busy doing nothing  (Read 3056 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 28, 2019, 20:18:26 »

Busy doing nothing... it's Saturday, and we are mid-Atlantic on a journey that would take perhaps 6 hours in a plane, but is taking six hours on a boat.  But doing nothing?   Not really!

Life on board revolves around mealtimes - and the chance to return to the UK (United Kingdom) (should your constitution be able to stand it) at twice the weight you left. The "Horizon" buffet opens at 06:30 for early continental breakfast, carries on to breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, light snacks, a themed dinner and then late night snacks until 01:00.  There are a couple of short closures of 60 minutes during the day, but if you want food during those times you can call up 24 hour room service.  Then there is the Medina restaurant open for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner if you don't want to use the buffer.  Dinner there is known as "freedom dining" and for guests who choose that freedom, you are free to join the queue any time from 6 pm to 9 pm; looking for a table for two, you're likely to be handed one of those queue callers, but willing to share at a table of eight and you'll be seated at a table with three other couples or - very occasionally - 2 other couples and one or two solo travellers.

To complete the record – Dinner is also available in two sittings (18:30 and 20:30) in the Alexandria Restaurant for guests electing to sit at the same table at the same time (and with others who are strangers prior to the cruise) each evening, and at three "select dining" outlets where you pay an extra cover charge or individually for dishes.  And the Crystal Pool and Lido Grill offer lunches for those guest swimming / sunbathing / lounging on deck.

So – life revolves around mealtimes.  And, in between, a wide choice of lectures and activities, especially on "sea days" which – on this 30 day cruise - are just in the majority.

For the early part of the cruise, Lisa and I attended an hour of "beginner's bridge" during the morning, taking us through the basic rules and conventions of the game.  A further hour on many afternoons was taken up with practise with Sheila and Pat – who were East/West to our North/South many mornings, as we looked to learn what Christine had been teaching us during the earlier part of the day. Once the beginners were folded in to the intermediates in the middle of the cruise, we found ourselves being tutored / advised on lots of topics we hadn't covered by more advanced and much more earnest players, and it was time to say we had learned what we had wanted - an overview of the game - and move on to pastures anew.

Lectures on the Internet and technology, on where it's going, on ethical and unethical hacking and threats from the guest lecturer who travelled out with the boat had interesting elements, but perhaps were a little elementary for Lisa and I. I expect we could have stood up and actually presented them!  A lecturer who joined mid-cruise gave a very interesting insight into the opening and running of one of the first Indian restaurants in the UK, but his subsequent titles were taking him on to the selection and looking after spices, and the history of the spice trail to India and China, and we skipped them as they veered away from our interest.

Joining us from Portland Maine was / is Ian Murray, an experience local newspaper journalist and editor and now the chap who represents and speaks for the media as a whole (and especially the printed media) when their actions / decisions are called into question.  His talks are based on "So you want to be a journalist" career talks, though I'm pretty sure he's tweaked his presentation to suit the mature audience who are pretty unlikely to be looking for a career in the field.  We'e looked at topics such as "what is fake news", "how to tell if something is fake", "how to write a story to grab attention", and what journalists can and can't so with news - "how not to get sued", with some of the moral and practical issues involved.  Today, we looked at the editors' code under IPSO and the thorny question of privacy v freedom to publish, and how "public interest" rolls into this.    As well as morning talks there are afternoon workshops - which are still pretty much talks - and it's been a good opportunity for me to think through and consider where we stand on the forum on these various matters, and where I personally stand on what I write too.

There's a different film every day at the on-board cinema; yesterday I enjoyed "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Lisa has seen several more. We've skipped "May Poppins Returns" today, just as we skip watercolour arts class, classical concerns, the vocalist competitions, rotary get-together, whist, deck cricket, talk series on topics such as drinking wine, whist, bingo, and quizzes.

Internet connectivity is patchy and Lisa and I are sharing a single account. Don't believe the sales blurb promising "full" access though at slow speeds - it isn't full at all. And the speed is such that the forum works (its pages designed for low bandwidth situations) when many other sites and even email downloads frustrate.

Things have changed since we first cruised - the "Perl Whirl" in 2000 with the gods of the Perl (programming language) world.  In those days, each port call was a dash into an internet cafe and the rest of the time we were truly away from it.  What a contrast now where we have been doing things as diverse as arranging for a table for the Melksham Rail User Group next Sunday, booking a course to give in November, posting occasionally (!) here, and negotiating the sale of a house.

I have two more travelogues to write - and I propose to tell you about people on the boat, and about a typical port visit.  Then you, dear reader, can heave a huge sigh of relief that I'll be back on the trains.   Planning to catch the Brighton to Malvern service on Tuesday... but not go anywhere near either Brighton or Malvern.

Best dash – dinner calls.   Informal night tonight – thank goodness, as fancy dress to look like a penguin really isn't me.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 11:49:20 »

Busy doing nothing... it's Saturday, and we are mid-Atlantic on a journey that would take perhaps 6 hours in a plane, but is taking six hours on a boat.  But doing nothing?   Not really!

Life on board revolves around mealtimes - and the chance to return to the UK (United Kingdom) (should your constitution be able to stand it) at twice the weight you left. The "Horizon" buffet opens at 06:30 for early continental breakfast, carries on to breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, light snacks, a themed dinner and then late night snacks until 01:00.  There are a couple of short closures of 60 minutes during the day, but if you want food during those times you can call up 24 hour room service.  Then there is the Medina restaurant open for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner if you don't want to use the buffer.  Dinner there is known as "freedom dining" and for guests who choose that freedom, you are free to join the queue any time from 6 pm to 9 pm; looking for a table for two, you're likely to be handed one of those queue callers, but willing to share at a table of eight and you'll be seated at a table with three other couples or - very occasionally - 2 other couples and one or two solo travellers.

To complete the record – Dinner is also available in two sittings (18:30 and 20:30) in the Alexandria Restaurant for guests electing to sit at the same table at the same time (and with others who are strangers prior to the cruise) each evening, and at three "select dining" outlets where you pay an extra cover charge or individually for dishes.  And the Crystal Pool and Lido Grill offer lunches for those guest swimming / sunbathing / lounging on deck.

So – life revolves around mealtimes.  And, in between, a wide choice of lectures and activities, especially on "sea days" which – on this 30 day cruise - are just in the majority.

For the early part of the cruise, Lisa and I attended an hour of "beginner's bridge" during the morning, taking us through the basic rules and conventions of the game.  A further hour on many afternoons was taken up with practise with Sheila and Pat – who were East/West to our North/South many mornings, as we looked to learn what Christine had been teaching us during the earlier part of the day. Once the beginners were folded in to the intermediates in the middle of the cruise, we found ourselves being tutored / advised on lots of topics we hadn't covered by more advanced and much more earnest players, and it was time to say we had learned what we had wanted - an overview of the game - and move on to pastures anew.

Lectures on the Internet and technology, on where it's going, on ethical and unethical hacking and threats from the guest lecturer who travelled out with the boat had interesting elements, but perhaps were a little elementary for Lisa and I. I expect we could have stood up and actually presented them!  A lecturer who joined mid-cruise gave a very interesting insight into the opening and running of one of the first Indian restaurants in the UK, but his subsequent titles were taking him on to the selection and looking after spices, and the history of the spice trail to India and China, and we skipped them as they veered away from our interest.

Joining us from Portland Maine was / is Ian Murray, an experience local newspaper journalist and editor and now the chap who represents and speaks for the media as a whole (and especially the printed media) when their actions / decisions are called into question.  His talks are based on "So you want to be a journalist" career talks, though I'm pretty sure he's tweaked his presentation to suit the mature audience who are pretty unlikely to be looking for a career in the field.  We'e looked at topics such as "what is fake news", "how to tell if something is fake", "how to write a story to grab attention", and what journalists can and can't so with news - "how not to get sued", with some of the moral and practical issues involved.  Today, we looked at the editors' code under IPSO and the thorny question of privacy v freedom to publish, and how "public interest" rolls into this.    As well as morning talks there are afternoon workshops - which are still pretty much talks - and it's been a good opportunity for me to think through and consider where we stand on the forum on these various matters, and where I personally stand on what I write too.

There's a different film every day at the on-board cinema; yesterday I enjoyed "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Lisa has seen several more. We've skipped "May Poppins Returns" today, just as we skip watercolour arts class, classical concerns, the vocalist competitions, rotary get-together, whist, deck cricket, talk series on topics such as drinking wine, whist, bingo, and quizzes.

Internet connectivity is patchy and Lisa and I are sharing a single account. Don't believe the sales blurb promising "full" access though at slow speeds - it isn't full at all. And the speed is such that the forum works (its pages designed for low bandwidth situations) when many other sites and even email downloads frustrate.

Things have changed since we first cruised - the "Perl Whirl" in 2000 with the gods of the Perl (programming language) world.  In those days, each port call was a dash into an internet cafe and the rest of the time we were truly away from it.  What a contrast now where we have been doing things as diverse as arranging for a table for the Melksham Rail User Group next Sunday, booking a course to give in November, posting occasionally (!) here, and negotiating the sale of a house.

I have two more travelogues to write - and I propose to tell you about people on the boat, and about a typical port visit.  Then you, dear reader, can heave a huge sigh of relief that I'll be back on the trains.   Planning to catch the Brighton to Malvern service on Tuesday... but not go anywhere near either Brighton or Malvern.

Best dash – dinner calls.   Informal night tonight – thank goodness, as fancy dress to look like a penguin really isn't me.

It's a SHIP!
Take a detention and write 100 times "We sailed in a ship, not a boat"   Huh

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 12:00:59 »

...and I suspect it's taking a bit longer than six hours...
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 15:23:49 »

as fancy dress to look like a penguin really isn't me

Formal nights are not compulsory of course, although drinking and dining options are a bit limited if you do decide to stay casual.

The formality doesn't suit (!) everyone but on my 5 cruises with P&O I would say 80-90% of people (including a surprising no. of the youngsters, when we've been on the big ships in school holiday-time) have dressed-up.

There's a lot of chatter that things will be relaxed a bit when the new (very large) ship Iona enters service next year, let's wait and see. In a way I hope it doesn't change, as getting dressed-up is part of the cruising experience.

At the same time, don't get me wrong, I'm the first to be in t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops as soon as the temperature is vaguely suitable.

I've much enjoyed your on-board observations Graham, it does make me want to go on another cruise though!
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 20:15:38 »

And there's another hurricane wandering around mid Atlantic at the moment, which I hope he is avoiding...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 22:15:17 »

And there's another hurricane wandering around mid Atlantic at the moment, which I hope he is avoiding...

OK ... six days .  We're about 200 miles short of Fastnet ... probably catching the very weak tail of Lorenzo.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: