05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 07:52:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Travelogue observations - 30th September 2019 - final full day on board  (Read 3591 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 30, 2019, 12:37:13 »

Tomorrow, Lisa and I leave "Aurora" and jump back into life ashore.  We have turned our lives upside down for September for the "holiday of a lifetime" - more than twice the length of any break we have taken before, and very much being in each other's pockets – swapping a house where we each have very much our own space, and an environment where we can get out when and where we please for a ship where for most of the time we can be no more that 150 metres from our base.  For the absence of doubt, it has worked well - and I can't imagine that it would have worked well with anyone else!

Thank you, dear readers, for following some (or even all) of these travel messages - I hope you have enjoyed them. With a personal interest in travel and transport, I have attempted to maintain some relevance to members here who also have an interest in such topics; there have been some interesting comparisons, and also some experiences so far from Wiltshire that they're incomparable.   And we have learned things too - from a different perspective and of goodness-knows what use in the future.  We come back with a knowledge of Bridge, which is totally irrelevant to a transport forum (though I have read of bridge clubs run on and by Brighton Belle commuters).  And we come back with an insight from an interesting series of lectures on fake news, press freedom, and what can and can't be published and the laws effecting what can be published and what and how an author's, publishers or moderator's are.  Largely confirmatory, but useful for the future.

I look forward to a busy October – to seeing a number of you in person and many online during the month; a "thank you" to the moderator team for keeping the form ship-shape for this last month, even though Lisa and I have been the ones on the ship!  And an especial "thank you" to BigNoseMac who has been looking after Billy and our Melksham base - which chose to throw all the curved balls it could at him.  I hope the setup has proven to very much a positive one for all parties; indications are that such is the case.

In 25 minutes, the ship's clocks jump forward and we'll be back on British "Summer" time.  Over and out from our holiday timezones.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 14:31:37 »

The curve balls were largely manageable in the grand scheme of things. Everyone's home has it's foibles. Chez grahame just decided that September was the month to manifest the odd issue. Wink

21st century communication technology (whilst occasionally patchy) certainly helped straighten those curve balls.

Its been a pleasure looking after Billy. He and Finn are now firm friends and I'm sure Finn will miss the space and gardens when he returns to our flat.

Right. Time to get on and clear up all evidence of the wild parties.

Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 18:21:53 »

Thank you Graham, I've really enjoyed your blogging; totally fascinating.
Hopefully you have realised your travelled on a SHIP by now.........   Angry Angry

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 23:28:13 »

Welcome soon, back to dear old Blighty. I've had a good trip through your travelogue. Where next? The Severn Beach and Avonmouth experience on the Severn Riviera Express?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 23:56:19 »

Welcome soon, back to dear old Blighty. I've had a good trip through your travelogue. Where next? The Severn Beach and Avonmouth experience on the Severn Riviera Express?

Home for the moment.   Pictures from today, below ... no more travel until Thursday ...

You know it's been "black dog day", right?   Promoting the love and adoption of black dogs.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 14:41:04 »

Home for the moment.   Pictures from today, below ... no more travel until Thursday ...

You know it's been "black dog day", right?   Promoting the love and adoption of black dogs.

Welcome back. Your transatlantic musings have been most enjoyable.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 23:39:18 »

Never been to America or Canada, wasnt sure they in fact were real, still not sure about the USA.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 10:23:31 »

Never been to America or Canada, wasnt sure they in fact were real, still not sure about the USA.

Many years ago my brother tried to convince an American customer in the bar where he worked that Scotland did not exist and was just a fantasy marketing construct created by the UK (United Kingdom) tourist authorities. He based his case on the improbability of a country existing with monster filled lakes where men in skirts ran around tossing tree trunks shouting "hoots".
I can't remember how that went down, must ask him some time.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: