Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 04:39:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Oyster - end of the line?  (Read 7145 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2019, 12:42:14 »

When the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) Card IT system was designed, it appears no-one thought there would ever be more than 15 zones - so zone information is held in a 4-bit integer.

As everyone knows, there are only 9 zones, so there's no problem... or there wouldn't be, if that were true. Beyond Zone 9, however, there's Watford Junction (Zone 10, or is it Zone W? Or maybe Zone G?), stations to Hertford (Zone 11/Zone B), Shenfield (Zone 12/Zone C), Zone 6 to Gatwick (Zone 13/Zone D), Gatwick Airport (Zone 14/Zone E) and finally Elizabeth Line stations to Reading (Zone 15/Zone F). Except that last one, apparently, isn't happening.

Brookmans Park now allows payment by contactless card but not Oyster, and it looks like the stations to Reading that were going to be Zone 15 are now going to be contactless-only too.

Geoff Marshall explains all here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0xDbHj4K_E

Somewhere in among all this is a bullet that needs biting!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 13:15:20 »

Perhaps the inner zones will be reduced to three or four zones.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 15:29:11 »

Long before Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services), but the predecessor of Zone 1 in the early days of 'flat' fares in the 80s was itself two separate zones - West End and City, with some stations in both. The rest of London was still graduated then.

The zonal model of concentric rings was just about OK for the Underground system, but taking it progressively further out has stretched it to the limit, especially as the journeys become increasingly no longer London-centred.

With contactless or another smartcard model either a kilometric system or one based on how many zone boundaries crossed could be created.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 17:18:00 »

Meaning the zones could, at least in the outer areas, no longer be concentric rings but areas of any appropriate shape and size.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 17:19:21 »

Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) has one big advantage over contactless, at present at least, as you can load your railcard on to it and gain a further reduction on the fare at off peak times.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 18:58:21 »

Here's another two ways of doing it - as conceived by Île-de-France Mobilités (what was Stif) for Paris. They plan to do away with paper tickets by 2021, and the replacement is a superficially Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services)-like card called Navigo Easy (en anglais dans le texte). They say this is appropriate for visitors who don't want the tourist pass (but note the whole family of contactless passes are called Navigo, including the monthly and annual passes for residents, which can be confusing). Navigo Easy started in June 2019, and I tried one last month - a mobile phone-based alternative started more recently (25/9/19).

So I ask at the first guichet I can see, at Gare du Nord, and she says she's not got any left. Well, there are still paper ticket machines, but when there aren't... So I get one the next day, and what can I do with it? Basically, I can buy undated single journey (actually timed) tickets, or one-day or one-week passes (forfait), plus some specialities. The singles are the same as the t+ you can buy (though there may still be some glitches about changing onto bus or tram), and are used if there's no valid pass. You buy by putting the card in a cup on the machine - it tells you what''s loaded - then buying from a menu (there are machines that take cash).

Where it gets complicated is the zones (quelle  surprise !). For the forfaits, you have to choose which zones (minimum two) you want when buying - from €7.50 for two zones to €17.80 for all five. Fares for the weekly pass are more complicated, but at €22.80 for all zones you wonder why they bother. Zones are of course counted by passing through, so a zones 4-5 pass is likely to be of limited use. The t+ isn't zonal, but covers a modified version of zones 1+2 (all the Metro and trams plus RER in Paris plus some buses in Île-de-France).

So, how useful is it? I found the requirement to pick your zones in advance was annoying (largely because I made a mistake about which zone a station was in!). Of course the only alternative is some version of PAYG (Pay as you go) or the ability to refund (which actually amounts to much the same thing). I've not seen any hint of bank cards being brought into the Paris system.

I did say two ways of ticketing; the second is PAYG, and is called the Pass Navigo « Liberty+ ». This will load onto the other Navigo cards (i.e. not Easy) that have a name and picture, from later in the year, though allegedly it's already available for phones. It's basically a paperless carnet of t+ tickets, with the same validity but the lower carnet price (€1.49 vs €1.90). Billing will be monthly in arrears, with no mention of a deposit - so I guess it may be limited by residence, ID required, etc.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 21:40:54 by stuving » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 20:34:49 »

I think the purely concentric model definitely has to be rethought.  In the London zones, (sticking  with the basic 6 zones for simplicity) anyone doing a full “diametric” journey from zone 6 to the opposite xtreme of zone 6 is effectively getting half his travel for free, because it’s usually the same price as zone 6 to zone 1.

It seems to me that from the beginning TFL (Transport for London) must have decided that it wasn’t worth worrying about, because I suspect they reasoned that a very high majority of passengers must have only been travelling into zone 1 and back each day.

But IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) national rail fares didn’t do this, a point to point journey right across London was always more expensive than a trip into the relevant mainline terminal and back.

Then the bigger the area becomes, all sorts of difficulties must start coming into play with orbital journeys, eg if Reading and Gatwick had both been Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) enabled ”towards the zones” what happens about someone found travelling via Guildford?

I don’t know the easy answer...

Paul
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 22:21:44 »

Sweden's systems seem to just work everytime I go over there, Jojo in Malmo/Lund and SL Access in Stockholm - just load some SEK on it and tap in/out. So quick and easy, doesn't matter how long between uses (no bloody weekly or monthly tickets that I end up wasting half of when work plans change) etc etc. I dunno if that is the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services), Contactless or whatever other system we call over here as I have never experienced anything other than the GWR (Great Western Railway) smartcard, but I wish we had a similar system here, its so convienient.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 21:16:57 »

Here's another two ways of doing it - as conceived by Île-de-France Mobilités (what was Stif) for Paris. They plan to do away with paper tickets by 2021, and the replacement is a superficially Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services)-like card called Navigo Easy (en anglais dans le texte). They say this is appropriate for visitors who don't want the tourist pass (but note the whole family of contactless passes are called Navigo, including the monthly and annual passes for residents, which can be confusing). Navigo Easy started in June 2019, and I tried one one last month - a mobile phone-based alternative started more recently (25/9/19).

So I ask at the first guichet I can see, at Gare du Nord, and she says she's not got any left. Well, there are still paper ticket machines, but when there aren't... So I get one the next day, and what can I do with it? Basically, I can buy undated single journey (actually timed) tickets, or one-day or one-week passes (forfait), plus some specialities. The singles are the same as the t+ you can buy (though there may still be some glitches about changing onto bus or tram), and are used if there's no valid pass. You buy by putting the card in a cup on the machine - it tells you what''s loaded - then buying from a menu (there are machines that take cash).

Where it gets complicated is the zones (quelle  surprise !). For the forfaits, you have to choose which zones (minimum two) you want when buying - from €7.50 for two zones to €17.80 for all five. Fares for the weekly pass are more complicated, but at €22.80 for all zones you wonder why they bother. Zones are of course counted by passing through, so a zones 4-5 pass is likely to be of limited use. The t+ isn't zonal, but covers a modified version of zones 1+2 (all the Metro and trams plus RER in Paris plus some buses in Île-de-France).

After reading that, I moved my coat to a lower peg.

Now, please!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 11:16:57 »

The German system of roughly hexagonal fare zones centred on the major town in the region work extremely well for local transport, whilst the Lander Regional Zones work well for longer non IC (Inter City) journeys (RE (Religious Education), RB).

As the German Railways were planned and there are links between most fare zone central towns, whilst there are rail links from say Leipzig, to Halle, Dresden Erfurt and Chemnitz there aren't rail links from Oxford to say Milton Keynes or Alylesbury. Also Geramn towns are more spread out. Working out eh zonal boundaries in England would be quite difficult.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 11:42:08 »

After reading that, I moved my coat to a lower peg.

Quite so. I do hope you remembered to do it before getting your hair cut, but after writing your letter home.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 20:06:13 »

I was going out for tea with an older boy. But my oyster card wouldn't work.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 21:12:10 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

London's Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card: Are its days numbered?

Earlier this year, Transport for London announced it would no longer be allowing Oyster card top-ups at ticket office windows at rail or Overground stations. Are the days of this pioneering piece of blue plastic numbered?

"When I visit London, in objection to Orwellian surveillance, I will reject the Oyster card," wrote one disgruntled correspondent to the Independent's letters page when the scheme was launched in 2003.

Back then, your bus might have been bendy ...

etc

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 00:45:35 »

Top up still possible at TfL» (Transport for London - about) ticket machines and on line. I have never stopped up ar a ticket office

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 21:18:20 »

It could also be another attempt by TfL» (Transport for London - about) to close ticket offices again? Or scale them back a bit more.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: