Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:33:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: On the (f)utility of decorating white horses  (Read 5290 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 10, 2019, 15:53:53 »

Wiltshire's White Horses are iconic of the county and shine out across the countryside - they have (in the past) and no doubt will be - in the future be used for publicity purposed.  Do you remember the Westbury horse having a red cross - representing the English flag of St George - in support of our football team in the World Cup.   I don't remember anyone complaining.  Now, the Alton Barnes white horse has had the Extinction Rebellion logo added.  Voices silent to the use of the Westbury White Horse for one cause are now raised in horror at the use of the Alton Barnes horse - looks like dual standards to me.

Cllr Allison Bucknell tweets

I remember seeing the media report of how well the community had worked together on this and it has now been vandalised.  I’m not impressed.

Really?  Vandalism is "deliberately destroy or damage (public or private property)" but I see no destuction of property with, I understand, soft cloth that could easily be removed used for the purpose.  And even if there was some damage, it was certainly not deliberate.  It seems that our councillor has chosen to use inflamatory language - perhaps because she does not like the message, or perhaps because she wants to add her "me also" voice to others who claim outrage.  I am not impressed.

The leader of Wiltshire Council - Philip Whitehead - is also at it on Twitter

Can someone explain how this helps tackle the environment. Stop protesting and do something.

Yes, I will explain. It helps bring the environmental issues up the agenda and onto the agenda of people like you. On researching this post, I visited the Wiltshire Council pages on what their community groups are doing for the environment - "last updated March 2018". Wow - 18 months no update, so clearly a hot concern and priority for our council.  Don't get me wrong - Wilts Council does a great deal, but perhaps it could and should be doing more, and having the odd white horse reminding them of this is no bad thing.

I'm going to move on to the second part of our leader's comment - "Stop protesting and do something."  He writes as is the two things are exclusive alternative.   They're not - both can be done, and doing both is far more than just the sum of the parts.  There are people who are expert at publcity and helping ensure than the world knows of the issues and they help smooth the way for those who are expert is suggesting and providing practical solutions ... and generalists who can tie the elements together.  Power to all thie elbows.

I encourage Councillors Whitehead, Bucknell and others to reslant their decisions towards a sustainable future.  To provide more power to the elbows of councillors Gamble, Prickett and others who have (and continue) to work so hard for more sustainable transport, and away from other routes which may win them votes in the short term, but are damaging and provide unsustainable change in the short term.  It's far too late to change what's going on on the A350 / A365 in Melksham - so much change with the private motor vehicle as its beneficiary.  So much could have been done to add a bus stop / interchange on the A365 - just a small adjustment.  I was told it could not be done - in fact I was told that the roadworks and changes weren't even going up as far as the station.  I was lied to.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 16:11:07 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 16:28:21 »

There are still some in Berkshire who bemoan local government re-organisation in 1974 which saw the county lose the Uffington White Horse and gain Slough.   Grin
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 21:27:21 »

I understand, soft cloth that could easily be removed used for the purpose. 

According to one report "clothing was used" - perhaps "fly tipping" might have been a better description   Wink
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 07:13:18 »

There are still some in Berkshire who bemoan local government re-organisation in 1974 which saw the county lose the Uffington White Horse and gain Slough.

Can somebody remind me whether the 1974 boundary reorganisation was before or after John Betjemin's poem "Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough"
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 08:01:21 »

Really?  Vandalism is "deliberately destroy or damage (public or private property)" but I see no destuction of property with, I understand, soft cloth that could easily be removed used for the purpose.  And even if there was some damage, it was certainly not deliberate.  It seems that our councillor has chosen to use inflamatory language - perhaps because she does not like the message, or perhaps because she wants to add her "me also" voice to others who claim outrage.  I am not impressed.

I look forward those who feel so strongly this way volunteering to do the repairs/cleanup operation themselves, in order to save the use of scarce public resources. They are also welcome to stock up on binliners and come up to London to help clean up the mountain of rubbish and filth that's building up.

No-one doubts (and most share) the noble motivations of the climate activists, but a much smaller number support their methods.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 08:31:56 »

No-one doubts (and most share) the noble motivations of the climate activists, but a much smaller number support their methods.
Here here.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 08:39:44 »

..... No-one doubts (and most share) the noble motivations of the climate activists, .....

A very unlikely generalisation, and one which certainly wouldn't include me. I regard the ER (anybody who uses the XR (Crossrail) acronym needs to consult a dictionary) crew as a bunch of misguided, and possibly ill-informed, anarchists who are using climate change as a convenient justification for their illegal activities.

Reason for edit: fixed quotation box
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:47:10 by Timmer » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 08:41:16 »

There are still some in Berkshire who bemoan local government re-organisation in 1974 which saw the county lose the Uffington White Horse and gain Slough.

Can somebody remind me whether the 1974 boundary reorganisation was before or after John Betjemin's poem "Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough"

After.

The poem was written in 1937 (yes that early!)
http://www-cdr.stanford.edu/intuition/Slough.html
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 17:51:38 »

After.

And he lived for a time (think it was later, not sure though) in Uffington, just under the White Horse.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 19:51:54 »

After.

And he lived for a time (think it was later, not sure though) in Uffington, just under the White Horse.

At the same time - according to Wikipedia he was churchwarden there in 1937
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 15:46:39 »

..... No-one doubts (and most share) the noble motivations of the climate activists, .....

A very unlikely generalisation, and one which certainly wouldn't include me. I regard the ER (anybody who uses the XR (Crossrail) acronym needs to consult a dictionary) crew as a bunch of misguided, and possibly ill-informed, anarchists who are using climate change as a convenient justification for their illegal activities.

They aren't the only ones who need to consult a dictionary, the letter X is often used as an abbreviation for words that actually begin with 'Ex'. Express for example, which I assume is the intent behind all the bus routes/services which use a number like 'X50'. As for 'illegal activities' and those who don't agree with ExR's methods, if all they have done in this case is put some black fabric down (presumably held in place by putting natural stone on top of the fabric) then there don't appear to be any victims to this 'crime' if that's what it is. Blocking roads and gluing yourself to a Docklands Light Railway unit are rather more controversial tactics, I can see why somebody would disagree with those methods but this white horse thing is rather harder to find fault with.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 17:25:45 »

They aren't the only ones who need to consult a dictionary, the letter X is often used as an abbreviation for words that actually begin with 'Ex'. Express for example, which I assume is the intent behind all the bus routes/services which use a number like 'X50'.

I've found myself guilty of such misdemeanors recently and it's a practice I'm going to canx!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 20:22:10 »

Well, they probably didn't want to involve the Queen. Or George Clooney!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 13:15:16 »

Posted by  Rhydgaled

I've found myself guilty of such misdemeanours recently and it's a practice I'm going to canx!

Surely you mean CAPE (Cancelled At Point of Entry or Cancel All Previous Entries - a cancelled train)?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: