Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:24:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Progress of shift from paper to smart tickets - RDG  (Read 6613 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 14, 2019, 05:22:12 »

Smart train tickets reach tipping point as paper tapers off from Rail Delivery Group

More passengers than ever before are opting for smart tickets, tipping the balance away from paper.

The days of rail passengers clutching handfuls of orange paper tickets are numbered as new figures from the rail industry show that just half of all journeys (50%) are now taken using paper tickets, down from over six in 10 (63%) last year.

The data shows the monthly number of journeys taken with paper tickets dropped by 13.3 million year on year, saving over 1,100km of paper – equal to the distance between London and Barcelona.

etc

Train companies are running Smart Week this week (14 - 20 October). Working together, staff will help people make the switch from paper to smartcards and mobile phones, with competitions and giveaways at stations. There will be 134 events at 73 stations across England, including Leicester, London Bridge, Plymouth, Cambridge and Manchester Airport. More information about Smart Week including a full list of stations taking part is available at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/smart.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 11:20:14 »

Interesting to see the unit of saved paper is km - I would have thought an area measure, or better still a weight might have made more sense.

That aside, are they saving paper? When I booked a forthcoming trip to London, I noted that GWR (Great Western Railway) have started charging £1.50 to deliver paper tickets; this was enough to persuade me to accept electronic tickets on my phone. However, I've also just booked a trip to Nottingham - and rather than install another app, I have printed the tickets on A4 sheets of paper (I don't have any other size to print on).

Overall, for the two trips, allowing for envelopes and so on, I reckon I'm probably about quits!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 12:27:28 »

I confess I've so far stuck with paper tickets, at least for train journeys. But it does seem that all sorts of money-handling operations: tickets, payments, other banking operations – are moving to to phones for more and more people, so it's probably inevitable that tickets end up there too. What's more, this seems to be a worldwide movement.

Interesting to see the unit of saved paper is km - I would have thought an area measure, or better still a weight might have made more sense.
I wonder how much it is expressed in double decker buses?  Wink

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 15:01:34 »

Only time I used my phone with a ticket, the reader at the gateline didn't want a bar of it, but the staff just waved me through. My smartcard usually works - sometimes it plays up but eventually opens. One thing I wish we had was the ability to read it in the GWR (Great Western Railway) app to see whats on the card.

Oddly when I had to renew at Maidenhead the other week (ticket machine was OOO and office closed at Goring), they refused until I produced my old paper photo card (the pink one), which was just weird as you dont need it when you buy at the machines, and I dont recall every having to show it at Goring when I have bought a weekly at the desk. Luckily I managed to find it, but did strike me as somewhat odd, given there is a (completely different) photo on the back of the smartcard anyway.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 18:34:55 »

Did any one visit any of these smartcard workshops?
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 19:29:31 »

I had a bad experience with buying an e-ticket using the GWR (Great Western Railway) app a couple of months back.

I was entering the details for my journey while waiting for my train on the platform, and had just pressed the 'pay now' button as the train rolled into the platform.  Unlike previous times I have used it, I was asked to answer several multiple-choice security questions, after which there was an unusually long delay followed by a message to say it had been unable to collect payment.

By this time I was already on the train and the conductor was doing his rounds.  So I bought a ticket from him, of course (I had joined at an unstaffed station without a ticket machine, so no issues there.)  A minute or two later, I discovered that GWR *had* taken payment, *and* issued my e-ticket - so now I had two tickets for the same journey!

GWR subsequently gave me a full refund for my ticket - I wasn't sure they would. since this type of issue isn't listed as a valid reason for a refund - so all ended well.  However, it didn't do much at the time for my confidence in the GWR mobile app as a good way to buy and use tickets.

One other (unrelated) point on mobile e-tickets.  I find the barcodes scan more readily at ticket barriers that the ones printed on paper tickets.  Sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 goes to get a paper ticket to open the barrier, whereas the one on my phone normally works first time.  Has anybody else found that?
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 20:17:28 »

I've never had a problem with paper tickets opening barriers. Is this something you've noticed a specific station?

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 22:01:16 »

I had a bad experience with buying an e-ticket using the GWR (Great Western Railway) app a couple of months back.

I was entering the details for my journey while waiting for my train on the platform, and had just pressed the 'pay now' button as the train rolled into the platform.  Unlike previous times I have used it, I was asked to answer several multiple-choice security questions, after which there was an unusually long delay followed by a message to say it had been unable to collect payment.

By this time I was already on the train and the conductor was doing his rounds.  So I bought a ticket from him, of course (I had joined at an unstaffed station without a ticket machine, so no issues there.)  A minute or two later, I discovered that GWR *had* taken payment, *and* issued my e-ticket - so now I had two tickets for the same journey!

GWR subsequently gave me a full refund for my ticket - I wasn't sure they would. since this type of issue isn't listed as a valid reason for a refund - so all ended well.  However, it didn't do much at the time for my confidence in the GWR mobile app as a good way to buy and use tickets.

One other (unrelated) point on mobile e-tickets.  I find the barcodes scan more readily at ticket barriers that the ones printed on paper tickets.  Sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 goes to get a paper ticket to open the barrier, whereas the one on my phone normally works first time.  Has anybody else found that?

On my PC at home I have had several occasions where the GWR website tells me my purchase has been unsuccessful. I have been about to start again when I get a confirmation email with my ticket code Undecided
Adrian
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 22:30:35 »

I've never had a problem with paper tickets opening barriers. Is this something you've noticed a specific station?

To be clear, I'm talking about paper tickets with barcodes, not the ones with magnetic strips.  They seem more temperamental when the print is blacker.
Bristol Parkway is the station I'm most often passing through the barriers with one of the things.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 09:59:17 »

By this time I was already on the train and the conductor was doing his rounds.  So I bought a ticket from him, of course (I had joined at an unstaffed station without a ticket machine, so no issues there.)  A minute or two later, I discovered that GWR (Great Western Railway) *had* taken payment, *and* issued my e-ticket

I get this error message about payment *every* time I buy through the app & have learnt to wait for the email, which usually is only 90 secnds or so to arrive - and the ticket arrives in the app even quicker.

Seems like an app problem....been going on for a while now.
No other TOC (Train Operating Company) app has this problem in my experience - and I use most of them.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2022, 18:56:52 »

For the first time ever, I'm using e-tickets tomorrow. Going up to Yorkshire, back on Tuesday. My mind, inevitably, is full of possible breakdowns: what if my phone dies? what if I can't open the pdf on my phone tomorrow? etc, etc. Was it worth it just to save £1 for picking up tickets at the station? But I'm sure it will be fine. If not, I'll let you know next week!

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 19:14:46 »

E-tickets could be all well and good if you are buying for yourself.  However what if you are organising travel for your proverbial aged aunt?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 21:00:11 »

For the first time ever, I'm using e-tickets tomorrow. Going up to Yorkshire, back on Tuesday. My mind, inevitably, is full of possible breakdowns: what if my phone dies? what if I can't open the pdf on my phone tomorrow? etc, etc. Was it worth it just to save £1 for picking up tickets at the station? But I'm sure it will be fine. If not, I'll let you know next week!
If you can print them as well I’d do so.  Apparently prints of the e-ticket pdf are valid for travel. 
However I understand this is not possible with the badly specified “m-tickets” which were only valid if shown within an App.

Paul
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 21:14:00 »

I have pdf but no time to print now, unfortunately.

As for my Aged Aunt, she (84) would be fine with e-tickets. However, my young middle-aged friend (45) with terrible vision has real problems using the websites to buy tickets; has to zoom in to 175% and still the colours cause her problems. But buying at the station is also a problem, due to deafness.  Sad

plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2022, 09:48:53 »

I have pdf but no time to print now, unfortunately.

As for my Aged Aunt, she (84) would be fine with e-tickets. However, my young middle-aged friend (45) with terrible vision has real problems using the websites to buy tickets; has to zoom in to 175% and still the colours cause her problems. But buying at the station is also a problem, due to deafness.  Sad

As an aside, if you use GWR (Great Western Railway), at the top there is an Accessibility Tools link that allows the user to alter the site layout and saves those preferences for every visit (so long as cookies are accepted and kept).  This includes zoom level and colours.  You'll probably find other websites have the same.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: