Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:38:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get reimbursed after being overcharged?  (Read 10123 times)
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: October 21, 2019, 21:58:17 »

In September I was sold an anytime ticket for an off-peak journey, which GWR (Great Western Railway) have agreed was incorrect and that I am due reimbursement. But they have not provided me with a way to get this reimbursement, so I am looking for advice. Details of what happened below.

I caught the 08.26 train from Oldfield Park, changing at Bath Spa to go to Southampton Central, arriving at 10.04 for a day return journey. This is a journey I've made a few times and it has always been considered as an off-peak journey. I checked both the GWR and National Rail websites before travelling this time and both confirmed this.

I had to buy the ticket on the Bath Spa to Southampton train and the TM(resolve) insisted it was an anytime fare. I told him I knew it wasn't, and knew what the fare was, but he insisted on me paying for an anytime ticket, but that I could take it up with GWR afterwards if I wished to.

After returning, I checked the next day at Bath Spa station and they confirmed I had been overcharged, and gave me a customer service form to send in. I did this, including the ticket in the appropriate place.

About 10 days ago I received an email from Customer Services acknowledging that I had been overcharged, but saying they could not reimburse me, and that I would have to get reimbursement from either Oldfield Park or Bath Spa stations. I went down to them but, not surprisingly, as I no longer had my ticket, having sent it in, they wouldn't, and told me to get back to Customer Services, which I did.

Since then, over a week now, silence.

How do I now go about getting reimbursed?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 06:29:39 »

That doesn’t sound right that you are not reimbursed by Customer Services. If you don’t hear back in the next few days I’d take it higher up. There’s someone well known on this forum who has had issues with off peak tickets who will be much better than me to advise you  Wink

And as for the waiting time to hear back that’s not surprising. I’ve got an outstanding issue with them regarding my Nectar account not being credited for recent purchases on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website. Took over a week to hear back only to get a very cut and paste response asking why I want to claim!?!?!

Two minutes later I get an email apologising that I had to stand all the way from Plymouth to Paddington, a journey that I had not undertaken!

Doesn’t fill me with confidence and I suspect it will be another week to respond to my latest  reply. Where do you go if you don’t get a satisfactory response?

Is GWR Customer Services still outsourced?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 20:04:08 »

Not GWR (Great Western Railway) ... this is what Transport for Wales have to say on a poster at Cardiff Central station (platform 3, 15 minutes ago)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 21:02:36 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) Complaints Procedure: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjRlrCS07DlAhVaQhUIHYz-BdUQjBAwAnoECAgQDA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gwr.com%2F~%2Fmedia%2Fgwr%2Fpdfs%2Fhelp-and-support%2Fmaking-a-complaint%2Fchp-2019-how-we-deal-with-complaints.pdf%3Fla%3Den&usg=AOvVaw0FNoctC22zEiOtPyRKUqNg

If that link doesn't work (its supposed to go to a .pdf), Google "GWR complaints procedure"
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 21:05:57 »

There’s someone well known on this forum who has had issues with off peak tickets who will be much better than me to advise you  Wink

If that obtuse comment was aimed at me it is indeed time for me to post an update  Grin

When I can drag myself away from this genealogy project I've saddled myself with I'll do it!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 21:23:27 »

If that obtuse comment was aimed at me it is indeed time for me to post an update  Grin

When I can drag myself away from this genealogy project I've saddled myself with I'll do it!

Please do write it up ... though I can actually think of another member too.   Rather points to it being a systemic issue, doesn't it?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 21:53:09 »

Many thanks. I've actually just picked that leaflet up from the station.

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 21:58:48 »

One issue my experience raised in my mind is whether a train manager can actually find out the correct fare for a journey. I spent about 2 minutes with him explaining that I knew what the correct fare was, and he seemed to be looking at his machine to find it, but I had the feeling all he actually knew (or could find) was that off peak starts at 9.30am, which he quoted to me, and that off peak exceptions don't start as early as my journey did (in which he was wrong). So could he have actually ascertained that I was right on his machine, i.e. could he see the journey I was making and the fare that was applicable to it?

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 22:06:26 »

There’s someone well known on this forum who has had issues with off peak tickets who will be much better than me to advise you  Wink

It wasn’t but now you come to mention it...indeed yes there is more than one on this forum who has had a challenge or two with the validity of off peak fares  Grin
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 09:33:02 »

An update: I have now received an email from a different Customer Services member. It doesn't refer to the previous message I received or my response to it, but is offering to send me a cheque for the reimbursement.

Which suggests this thread may be being read. Smiley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 09:42:36 »

An update: I have now received an email from a different Customer Services member. It doesn't refer to the previous message I received or my response to it, but is offering to send me a cheque for the reimbursement.

Good result froome, got there in the end.

I hope this thread is being read as I'm still waiting for a response for my missing Nectar points.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 23:05:27 »

Good result froome, got there in the end.

I hope this thread is being read as I'm still waiting for a response for my missing Nectar points.

It is now two weeks since I had the email from the different Customer Services member. Sadly I've still not received the cheque.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 22:36:21 »

It is now two weeks since I had the email from the different Customer Services member. Sadly I've still not received the cheque.
Sorry to hear that you are still waiting for your cheque to arrive froome, I know how frustrating it can be.

I too am still waiting for my Nectar account to be credited with points from a number of recent orders made on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website. Finally received an email from a third person on Monday saying they would be credited to my account but could take up to 28 days!!!

Despite requesting assurances on the numerous emails that went back and forth between me and GWR Customer Services, that whatever the problem was with my Nectar account not being credited every time I placed an order that it had been rectified. This was not forthcoming so will be using another online TOC (Train Operating Company) to place ticket orders in future.

I may not be GWR’s biggest customer by a long way but I’m still a customer.

So not a positive customer experience with GWR Customer Services or whoever runs it for them these days.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 11:33:10 »

On the other side of the coin, GWR (Great Western Railway) have been falling over themselves sending me cheques recently Cheesy

The first occasion was in connection with my disagreement over off peak tickets with HEX (See my "Not happy with Heathrow Express" thread). The second involved a trip to the WSR at th end of August:

It came to my attention that GWR, in conjunction with the West Somerset Railway, were running the shuttle service between Taunton and Bishops Lydeard on selected dates the summer. As I had never travelled the whole original length of the line before I decided to go on Saturday 31st August.

I found on the West Somerset Railway website that an inclusive ticket for travel to Taunton and onwards to Minehead was available from GWR staffed stations. Checking this online I found that such tickets were indeed available on the GWR website. However, when I went to Chippenham station that morning the booking clerk told me she was unable to find it on the system. Instead I bought an off peak return to Taunton (split at Bristol) with a Senior Railcard, and paid again at Taunton for the shuttle service and a WSR senior day ticket. Doing things this way cost me £5.75 more than with the ticket that should have been available at Chippenham. The following day I was down at the station again and spoke to a booking clerk who I know has been in post for donkeys years  (as opposed to the original one who had served me who I had never seen before), and he couldn't dind it either. This confirmed to me that it was a system problem rather than staff error.

I sent GWR a screenshot of their appropriate web page and scans of the tickets I bought. The refund cheque came within 3 weeks.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 17:50:17 »

Sorry to hear that you are still waiting for your cheque to arrive froome, I know how frustrating it can be.

I too am still waiting for my Nectar account to be credited with points from a number of recent orders made on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website. Finally received an email from a third person on Monday saying they would be credited to my account but could take up to 28 days!!!

Despite requesting assurances on the numerous emails that went back and forth between me and GWR Customer Services, that whatever the problem was with my Nectar account not being credited every time I placed an order that it had been rectified. This was not forthcoming so will be using another online TOC (Train Operating Company) to place ticket orders in future.

I may not be GWR’s biggest customer by a long way but I’m still a customer.

So not a positive customer experience with GWR Customer Services or whoever runs it for them these days.

As I understand it there is a problem at the "Nectar end" adding points from anyone other than Sainsburys just now.

GWR's "customer service" however has been a bad joke for a number of years in respect of ridiculously late correspondence, inaccurate/inconsistent advice, delays and promises not kept.

Keep at it - in my experience emailing Hopwood directly provokes a swifter (and more generous!) result, even if only to make you go away!  Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: