I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:35:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: So then...what have I missed?  (Read 7890 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2019, 17:02:24 »

It seems like ages since I used to frequent the coffee shop on my journey from Thatcham into London but a quick search of my posts revealed that the last real activity (ignoring 3 in 2018) was in 2017.

So as the title says what have I missed? I guess "Reading Station Improvements" has probably settled down now and I seem to remember long discussions about the "half platform signalling" used by the cross country sets.

I do realise that technically I am a foreigner now as I have moved out of the FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) region into a town that used to have a railway but not longer has.It does have an old prison (now a museum) and a University. In the middle of July the prices of even the cheapest hotel goes through the roof and it gets veru noisy nearby.

Does this sound like the beginning of a "where do I live now?" competiion? Oh go on then...just for fun.

I suspect this may be too easy but if there is any take up I will let it run for a while.

Take care everyone!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 17:29:29 »

Buckingham?

(And welcome back!)
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 17:54:45 »

Seconded and it's good to see you.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 20:21:41 »

So as the title says what have I missed?

Good to see you back, visiting us and posting. Here's my own list of what has happened since the start of 2018.

On GWR (Great Western Railway) rails
* End of HSTs (High Speed Train) as we knew them
* Electric turned on much further
* Cascade of Turbos
* Engineering and staffing unreliability

On TransWilts
* Longer trains
* Longer platforms
* Shocking cancellation rates knocking us back
* Lots of promotion by the Melksham Rail User Group

On the forum
* Coffee Shop constitution, first AGM (Annual General Meeting) and CCIF (Customer and Communities Improvement Fund)
* Meet the Managing Director (and another is coming up)
* ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) - a 3rd last year, and a shortlist and a second this year
* Not really "happened" - steady as she goes with huge thanks to all

Personally
* Left TransWilts board and CRO position (now just a member)
* Lost Gyp
* Move from our home to what was our hotel
* Slowing down a bit and took holiday of a lifetime

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 22:38:07 »

I second third Buckingham.

Used to live there too, aged 17-18. Well, in nearby Maids Moreton first, then Lillingstone Daryll where the July noise was just up the farm track behind our house. I returned to Somerset a few months after my 18th, but Mum and brother stayed on for a couple of years, living in Nelson St in the town.

Used to go fishing in the Great Ouse behind the University.

Oh, and welcome back. You're not too far from 'GWR (Great Western Railway) land'. I used to railhead at Banbury when I lived in Buckingham. Of course when I lived there it was still British Rail. Also used to railhead at Bicester Town.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 17:36:53 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 08:50:49 »

Welcome "back" BB

The hum of electric traction motors rather than the grumble of diesel is the order of the day at Thatcham these days. There are still a few turbos, but very few now.

Whatever time of day I am travelling I nearly always get a seat now.

The Electrostar's and IET (Intercity Express Train)'s are very quick between stations, so it's not unusual for trains to "dwell" for a few minutes at stops, to let the timetable catch up. That will change in mid-December I guess.

Nice part of the world around Buckingham. I'm a bit familiar as my sister lives in Adstock and used to live in Nash.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 10:12:49 »

Used to live there too, aged 17-18. Well, in nearby Maids Moreton first, then Livingstone Daryll where the July noise was just up the farm track behind our house. I returned to Somerset a few months after my 18th, but Mum and brother stayed on for a couple of years, living in Nelson St in the town.

Oh, and welcome back. You're not too far from 'GWR (Great Western Railway) land'. I used to railhead at Banbury when I lived in Buckingham. Of course when I lived there it was still British Rail. Also used to railhead at Bicester Town.

What does "to railhead" mean? I've seen the term before and its puzzled me? 🤔
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 12:16:28 »

I was beginning to get offended that no-one had welcomed me back and then thought about looking in my spam folder and there you all were!

Yes, Buckingham. I left Thatcham in about August 2018 although still go down there to see the kids. I have seen the SNT's (Shiny new trains) pass through but I have never been on one from Newbury/Thatcham although have caught many from Reading.

My daily commute (when I am working in London) has changed.

In my Thatcham days I would catch the bus to Reading station (I got fed up with the walk to the station as it always seemed to chuck it down when I needed to do it) and then mainline into London. So probably door to office door about 2 hours - maybe a bit more.

So now I drive to Milton Keynes Central (MKC (Milton Keynes Central)) which takes about 15 minutes and if I catch a Pendilino (sp?) I can be in London in a further 35 just in time to do battle with the northern line. We do have a good choices of services from MKC and apart from when there are very high winds or major signalling problems the service is pretty good. The good thing about my journey from home in Buckingham to MKC it is so simple. Off the estate, onto the A422 and in about 17 minutes I'm parked up at the station.

I can't remember what a weekly travel card was from Thatcham but from MKC it costs about £159

Coming back to MKC in the evening it's always a challenge getting a seat on the services but that's the nature of the commute. It's often a decision between getting a later, slower train with a seat or a non-stop and standing like I did last night. As I'm sure a lot of you know Euston is underdoing changes at the moment as they have started on the work to be HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) compatible and there have been some ground works in the Buckingham area.

I like Buckingham - the only problem is that unless you want a coffee or a take out (sounds a bit like Thatcham!) there isn't much else there but there is a very good community spirit. Unlike a like alot of all towns you will have all head of our MP (Member of Parliament) (Mr John Bercow)

I think the price of housing here reflects the fact there aren't any major employers in the town (I'm guessing the University is the single biggest employer) and also no rail links. There are plans to open an east-west link which I believe will pass through Winslow which isn't far from here.

Hardly suprisingly there isn't alot left of the railway in town. Over the weekend we went for a walk along the trackbed which the local council have turned into a walk way. The only clue it was ever a railway is probably the straightness of the path and the few red brick bridges that are left.

So anyway enough of my ramblings...it's always good to catch up!

BB

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 12:22:21 »

Used to live there too, aged 17-18. Well, in nearby Maids Moreton first, then Livingstone Daryll where the July noise was just up the farm track behind our house. I returned to Somerset a few months after my 18th, but Mum and brother stayed on for a couple of years, living in Nelson St in the town.

What is really interesting about the replies you lot have posted is that I have connections with quite a few of the places mentioned.

I worked in Banbury (on the old Alcan Extrusions site) and lived in a small village south of the town called Adderbury. I am old enough to remember steam trains running through the village on the Banbury to Cheltanham line!

As far as I know "Bicester Town" is now "Bicester North" and of course it's now possible to get from Bicester Village to Marylebone on the "new" route.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 12:25:59 »

Welcome "back" BB

The hum of electric traction motors rather than the grumble of diesel is the order of the day at Thatcham these days. There are still a few turbos, but very few now.

Whatever time of day I am travelling I nearly always get a seat now.

The Electrostar's and IET (Intercity Express Train)'s are very quick between stations, so it's not unusual for trains to "dwell" for a few minutes at stops, to let the timetable catch up. That will change in mid-December I guess.

Nice part of the world around Buckingham. I'm a bit familiar as my sister lives in Adstock and used to live in Nash.

I know Adstock very well! It would be very ironic if your Sister was called Helen and she lived in a georgian house as we had our wedding reception there back in September.

In all my other replies to my OP (Original Poster / topic starter) I've added some train content but have failed referencing Adstock!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 12:29:49 »

So as the title says what have I missed?

Good to see you back, visiting us and posting. Here's my own list of what has happened since the start of 2018.

On GWR (Great Western Railway) rails
* End of HSTs (High Speed Train) as we knew them
* Electric turned on much further
* Cascade of Turbos
* Engineering and staffing unreliability

On TransWilts
* Longer trains
* Longer platforms
* Shocking cancellation rates knocking us back
* Lots of promotion by the Melksham Rail User Group

On the forum
* Coffee Shop constitution, first AGM (Annual General Meeting) and CCIF (Customer and Communities Improvement Fund)
* Meet the Managing Director (and another is coming up)
* ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) - a 3rd last year, and a shortlist and a second this year
* Not really "happened" - steady as she goes with huge thanks to all

Personally
* Left TransWilts board and CRO position (now just a member)
* Lost Gyp
* Move from our home to what was our hotel
* Slowing down a bit and took holiday of a lifetime

I think I passed through Melksham back in September when the wife and I took a post wedding break at a lodge in devizes and then went to a national trust property. I think the route back to the M4 took us through Melksham which - if my geography services me right - would be possible.

Holiday sounds interesting ...is there a trip report on the Forum?

BB
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 12:46:50 »

I know Adstock very well! It would be very ironic if your Sister was called Helen and she lived in a georgian house as we had our wedding reception there back in September.

My sister isn't called Helen, but if the Helen you mention has a large property called "The Georgian Rectory" then she is a good friend of hers and I've met her and her hubby also. Small world!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 12:51:07 »

My sister isn't called Helen, but if the Helen you mention has a large property called "The Georgian Rectory" then she is a good friend of hers and I've met her and her hubby also. Small world!

Yes that's the place. They are a lovely couple and it is a lovely house and grounds
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 14:19:34 »

I think it means bussing or motoring to a train station.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 17:21:44 »

I think it means bussing or motoring to a train station.

or in English, "to catch a train at"....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: