I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:14:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The 1864 proposed Penryn - Helston Railway  (Read 3476 times)
RailCornwall

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2018, 20:07:07 »

It was proposed in the mid 19th Century to Link Helston to the rail network via a branch off of the Truro - Falmouth line, these plans got as far as an Act of Parliament (1864) which granted permission, however investors were not found and the plans scrapped and the permission revoked within 4 years of the granting of the permission, an example of C19 Railway Mania at it's peak. The company was wound up in 1869.

I know it's an extraordinarily long shot but has anyone here who's heard of this project any idea of the proposed routing across Southern Cornwall?

I gather from heresay in the past that the proposal was to provide an extension once built west of Helston to Marazion to provide an alternative to the Redruth - Camborne route across Western Cornwall.

(Please move to a more appropriate forum if necessary)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 20:23:24 »

(Please move to a more appropriate forum if necessary)

Feels like the right place to me - I don't think it's a campaign for a new service.   Mind you, there's a lot to be said for having a robust network with alternative routes ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 20:35:51 »

I know we have maps of all the lines ever built, but it would be fascinating to see a map of all those that were ever proposed during the 19th century. I wonder what the largest settlement that never had a proposal for a line was?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 20:39:06 »

Was the bill really passed in 1864? A quick search finds the public notice of the bill's introduction in November 1846, which lists the parishes it goes through - pretty much in a straight line. Nothing about an extension there, but then that was before they had surveyed the initial route.

If you really want the full details, The National Archives says you should go to Truro:
Reference:    QSPDR/17/1
Title:    Plans and sections, Helston Railway. Penryn to Helston. With OS (Ordnance Survey) 1 inch map
Date:    1846
Held by:    Cornwall Record Office, not available at The National Archives

Those plans will be very interesting - as I found when I looked at some of the RGRR plans in the Berkshire RO.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 20:59:32 »

Was the bill really passed in 1864?

Answer: yes. It was abandoned by order of the Board of Trade in April 1868. I don't think these local acts appear in any of the on-line sets of legislation - there were an awful lot of them.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 01:05:14 »

I shall make arrangements to visit the records office. Looking at their online catalogue they have many documents in connection with this which should satisfy my curiosity.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 02:25:19 »

I wonder what the largest settlement that never had a proposal for a line was?

Hugh Town?  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 09:13:44 »

The plans for every railway bill had to be deposited in each of the parishes through which it passed. This took the form of a line strip map of the route, with every property within 100yds of the centre line being numbered.

The accompanying Book of Reference lists each property together with the owner, the lessee and the occupier. Failure to list these accurately could cause failure of the Bill. This had to be submitted by the 30th of November and, in the Railway Mania, saw frenetic activity.

They remain a useful, and under used, source of past industries and people. I am involved with writing an history of the sailcloth industry in South Somerset/West Dorset and these plans have allowed me to locate some sites of the industry which have long disappeared.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 19:18:17 »

Finally with the open of Cornwall's new archive centre Kresen Kernow at Redruth, I've been along and consulted the Original map and schematic route map.

The Line was to leave Penryn Station Southwards, along a cutting to the North of the Penryn Viaduct and then follow the following route...

Penryn ... Kernick ... Mabe Church (some of the route would appear to now be under the College and Argal Reservoirs) ... Treverva .... Constantine ..... Bridge .... North of Gweek .... Tregarrick .... then approaching Helston from the East with a Station off Meneage Street in the area to the north of the present Furry Way roundabout.

Fascinating.

As for the potential Helston - Marazion line that's for more digging in the coming months.

I'll attempt to superimpose the route on a modern map too and post it here.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: