I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:47:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Marlow Branch - how Bourne End works  (Read 17851 times)
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 10:59:32 »

The Marlow and District Railway Society has a number of historical photos on its website depicting quite a wide variety of motive power at Bourne End since the 1950s:

http://www.mdrs.org.uk/wycmaidmarlow.htm
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 13:42:21 »

Interesting stuff, cheers. Why was the High Wycombe-Maidenhead line worked in two halves towards the end? Was its simply that traffic between Maidenhead and Marlow dominated and it was better to work the Bourne End to Wycombe section as a branch instead? This seems a little odd to me as I imagine that if the line was fully open today it would be very popular.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 17:12:57 »

Errm... point of order... that's how it used to look before the Crossrail sidings at Maidenhead were built.  And it's now on "Scalable", not IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) Classic.
But the trains on the Bourne End branch only appear to the TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) Maidenhead workstation signaller when he puts their headcode into his first berth - no automatic stepping or ACI.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 19:30:24 »

Interesting stuff, cheers. Why was the High Wycombe-Maidenhead line worked in two halves towards the end? Was its simply that traffic between Maidenhead and Marlow dominated and it was better to work the Bourne End to Wycombe section as a branch instead? This seems a little odd to me as I imagine that if the line was fully open today it would be very popular.

Having looked at the 1965 timetable, it wasn't operated quite like that. In the peaks the branch was a shuttle, with through trans. In some of the rest, southbound trains ran full length, while northbound ones diverted at Bourne End to Marlow and returned to continue to High Wycombe. But a lot of the time was transitoning from one service pattern to another and hard to call a pattern in itself. Services to/from High Wycombe started later and ended earlier, suggesting that part was much less used.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 09:54:09 »

Or if you believe in conspiracy theories the through service  was deliberately run down by BR (British Rail(ways)) to facilitate closeures as it was an expensive line to operate with at least 4 manned crossing between Bourne End and Wycombe. Which also meant that traffic could flow freely, very important in the 70s.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 11:12:57 »

I do believe in stuff like that, having seen Reading buses run down a route in the past.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 11:20:14 »

Quaint isn't it  Grin  and all operated on basically Victorian technology. 

Token block between Maidenhead - Bourne End and "One Engine in Steam" on the Bourne End - Marlow

Sequence is first train of at start of 30 minutes arrives Platform 2 with MAI (Maidenhead station)-BNE token which is placed in relevant instrument, Points operated. Both required to release the GSP.  OTS: BNE-MLW can then be withdrwn from Bourne End. Train is effectively locked on branch.

Second train obtains a second MAI BNE token and shuttles backwards and forwards in an out of platfrom 1 BNE. Not sure if token replced at Mai each time.

On last run token replaced at MAI. Last  Marlow Shuttle arrives at Bourne End Plat 2 and OTS replaced. As there is already a MAI BNE token in place and assuming the second token has been replaced at Mai the points can be oprated and the MAI BNE  token withdrawn at BNE. Train proceeds from Platform 2 to Mai. Hourly service recommences.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 13:16:18 »

Or if you believe in conspiracy theories the through service  was deliberately run down by BR (British Rail(ways)) to facilitate closeures.
Saw that on the S&D (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) where on Summer Saturdays through services were replaced by fragmented services yet through services resumed after the Summer.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 19:43:27 »

Or if you believe in conspiracy theories the through service  was deliberately run down by BR (British Rail(ways)) to facilitate closeures as it was an expensive line to operate with at least 4 manned crossing between Bourne End and Wycombe. Which also meant that traffic could flow freely, very important in the 70s.

I believe the real reason was BR requested funding from the Dept of Transport to fund the staffing of the 5 level crossings between Bourne End and High Wycombe, of course by the time of closure the fright had all but gone and passenger numbers had dropped; perhaps in part due to the need to change trains at Bourne End to travel between High Wycombe and Maidenhead.

I do feel if the line had survived 5 to 10 years longer it would still be operating today

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 21:10:15 »

I do feel if the line had survived 5 to 10 years longer it would still be operating today,

Very likely.  And you set me thinking about other lines too - http://gwr.passenger.chat/22410

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 21:17:46 »

I do feel if the line had survived 5 to 10 years longer it would still be operating today

I feel the same about many lines, stations and Reading's trolleybuses.
Nippy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2019, 14:06:28 »

That's a very old photo, will get an updated one when I'm in tomorrow......
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2019, 15:28:07 »

A warm welcome to the forum Nippy
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 10:44:19 »

Back in the day, complete with semaphores, signalbox and Park Royal DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) (2-car, Class 103)

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58228-the-stationmaster-looks-at-bourne-end-the-one-on-the-wycombe-branch/

Last time I was at Maidenhead Station, it was when the GWS were running Centenary of the Marlow Donkey trains in July 1973  There was a WR Plywood Wonder Signalbox at the end of the Down Relief/Branch island platform, which controlled branch trains and which could switch-in to control the signals on the Relief lines.  I was looking for a picture, and found one on this nice page of memories (scroll down a bit) whcih has several images of that day.

http://www.mdrs.org.uk/wycmaidmarlow.htm
Nippy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2019, 19:37:42 »

A warm welcome to the forum Nippy

Thanks very much. Updated view of the Maidenhead layout in the Thames Valley Signalling Centre attached.....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: