16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 15:45:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[269] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[101] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[44] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[41] Signage - not making it easy ...
[8] IETs at Melksham
[7] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet the Managing Director - 17:00 on 5 Nov 2019  (Read 10457 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:37:52 »

As posted on Facebook - ((here)) Meet the Managing Director – Mark Hopwood, MD of GWR (Great Western Railway), answers questions online here on 5th November 2019 starting at 17:00 – via http://gwr.passenger.chat/b48

This is our passenger forum; the questions are asked by passenger and will focus on timetable and fare changes coming next month. The Master of Ceremonies will be member "Red Squirrel" (hence the picture).  The forum (including the "Meet the Manager" board) is public readable, and any registered members can comment /follow up on questions during or after the session.

Questions asked at our last "Meet the MD" session in August... and so excluded from 5.11.2019... can still be read, and members can post follow ups if they wish. 
1. Future "Meet the Manager" sessions at major stations?  http://gwr.passenger.chat/22017
2. Decarbonising local railways http://gwr.passenger.chat/22018
3. Trolley service on IETs (Intercity Express Train) http://gwr.passenger.chat/22019
4. When things go wrong http://gwr.passenger.chat/22020
5. Are the jobs of train guards secure? http://gwr.passenger.chat/22021
6. Finally: Three wishes! http://gwr.passenger.chat/22022
Do note that even outside Meet the Manager sessions, GWR staff do read the forum and whilst most of our content is to inform members, occasionally (including last week) we see GWR making adjustments to some issue that has been highlighted.

Squirrel picture - Creative Commons license from Peter Trimming - https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter-trimming/6583159839/ , original source at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_squirrel#/media/File:Squirrel_posing.jpg . Other images - copyright Graham Ellis (grahame on the forum) . Have we included enough for you to work out the locations?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 12:56:28 »

Have we included enough for you to work out the locations?

No 4 is Swindon Platform 3
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 19:52:04 »

Is No 2 Brownsea Island?  Grin
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 19:56:23 »

No 1 Dilton Marsh

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 22:47:51 »

So we have ....
1 - Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire
2 - Alverstone Mead Nature Reserve, Isle of Wight
3 - Hilton Hotel, Paddington, London
4 - Swindon, Wiltshire

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 15:31:25 »

Checking the questions - YES
Checking the server - YES
Checking Connectivity - YES
Checking my own supply of coffee ... hang on - fresh pot needed.

90 minutes to showtime!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 16:37:30 »

In just under half an hour, Mark Hopwood, Managing Director of Great Western Railway will be here on the Coffee Shop to answer your queations and to follow up on them "real time".   I'm here as the "warm up act" to set the scene before passing on to your host Red Squirrel for the session at 17:00.

From 17:00, and at 10 minute intervals, Red Squirrel will post questions (each in a new thread) that member have raised. Mark Hopwood, MD of GWR (Great Western Railway) will follow that up with an answer, and then discussions will follow.  Mark's already aware of the questions - members reall don't want to sit around waiting while initial answers are typed, but after that initial answer we go interactive.  Mark will be accompanied by our admin BobM in GWR HQ (Headquarters) in case of techincal forum issues, and also by a couple of experts on niche topics which we know are coming up.

Questions were submitted in a variety of ways - mostly via personal messages to "moderators" as requested, but also some by other routes (colateral spray?).  As far as I'm aware, everyone who's asked a question will find it cropping up in some form this evening; questions have been combined to avoid repetion, deviation (or hesitation?). The final couple of questions and their answers will be dropped in shortly before we finish - we may be short on discussion time, but they'll allow us to ensure that we have a response from GWR to everything which we can then chat about long into the night.

So - visit the loo, go grab a cup of coffee, sit down in your favourite chair, position your laptop on your knee and its cable so that it's not a trip hazard to others around you, and enjoy an information packed hour of good-natured discussion about GWR and its products and services.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 16:59:17 »

A splash of light ... a flash so bright ... and a huge hand please for Mark Hopwood and for Red Squirrel who will be your MC introducing the questions ...

MarkHopwood

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 17:06:13 »

Thanks Grahame! Looking forward to the discussion.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 17:26:51 »

From BobM ... the scene before the session started - I'm sure Mark's looking far busier now!

Thought you would like a look inside!

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 18:03:17 »

As the hour is now up I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mark for his honest answers to the questions raised. I am sure he will be watching for any other points raised during responses.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
MarkHopwood

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 18:06:36 »

RogerW - many thanks
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 18:07:17 »

Seconded . thank you for that post, Roger

From me, many thanks from behind the scenes, Mark, Bob and Tim Red Squirrel ... some very useful answers and discussions which I'm sure members will carr on into the evening.  I know last time you came back and did a quick mop-up review a day or two after the enevt - can I ask if you could do the same again this time?

It strikes me that this session has raised really heartfelt concerns and issues - and Iook forward to 15th Decmeber and beyond going well.   Certainly we wish GWR (Great Western Railway) well at and beyond the challenging time.  And we really appreciate you coming here his eening, Mark and a big Thank you to the backup team too.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 18:08:57 »

As the hour is now up I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mark for his honest answers to the questions raised. I am sure he will be watching for any other points raised during responses.

Note posted here in addition to the bookmark post.  Mods - you may wish to delete one of them

Tidy to come.  Never mind the coffee - I need a brandy!  I will lock this thread to avoid dilution

Edit - threads now merged and unlocked
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 18:52:37 by grahame » Logged

MarkHopwood

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 18:14:10 »

Thank you very much for your questions through the Forum and the opportunity to reply to your comments.  I hope you found it useful and look forward to repeating this session again in the near future if you wish. 

Mark
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: