I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:37:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Through the window - but where was I?  (Read 5883 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 22:45:08 »

How about 10 is "somewhere in the Irish Sea"?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 22:49:43 »

How about 10 is "somewhere in the Irish Sea"?

That's just about as accurate as I might have been - "Halfway between Holyhead and Dublin"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RA
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 23:10:40 »

18 is a view of Marchwood ERF (Energy Recovery Facility) and power station.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 23:48:20 »

Is 12 Acton?
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 23:58:39 »

12 is Westbury, or possiblly Eastleigh or maybe St Denys, near Southampton?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 00:46:56 »

Is 12 Acton?

So ... which might it be?   Yes, I know it's quite a tricky one!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 00:51:05 »

18 is a view of Marchwood ERF (Energy Recovery Facility) and power station.

Yes, taken from MS Aurora on 1st October if you're wondering about the viewpoint.  The Waterside line runs just behind and many suggest it would be an excellent way to get commuters and others into and out of Southampton and beyond from that side of the water.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 07:29:30 »

This ship - which I have seen for many years when passing by - has always had me wondering.   The location is known as Llanerch-y-Mor and it's a former Irish Sea ferry - the Duke of Lancaster - which has been there for a number of decades (yes, decades).  A couple of links I found when searching:
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/duke-lancaster-gets-mystery-black-12895861
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45626924

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 07:36:15 by grahame » Logged

JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 08:56:35 »

I think 13 is Norton Bridge.

Indeed - the station that was closed because there was no bridge to get onto the platform any longer - ironically named "Norton Bridge"

Also it had the platform - and the junction itself - only on the fast side of the formation, which probably the more pertinent reason for the closure. To be fair, the new non-conflicting layout is much better, and a good compensation for the loss of a station in the middle of nowhere.

The ex-London Midland seat pattern narrowed it down considerably. Apologies for re-posting all the photos in my reply - it isn't obvious from the text that this will happen!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2019, 09:21:05 »

I think 13 is Norton Bridge.

Indeed - the station that was closed because there was no bridge to get onto the platform any longer - ironically named "Norton Bridge"

Also it had the platform - and the junction itself - only on the fast side of the formation, which probably the more pertinent reason for the closure. To be fair, the new non-conflicting layout is much better, and a good compensation for the loss of a station in the middle of nowhere.

The ex-London Midland seat pattern narrowed it down considerably.

I don't live in the area / dangerous to comment, but the de-facto closure of Norton Bridge, Stone (since re-opened), Barlaston and Wedgewood (both still officially open, I think, but no trains for many years) without formal consultation at the time was / is very worrying - a possible dangerous precedent.  "Look - this isn't working / stands in the way of future development" as a public question is one thing, but de-facto closure then taking a look years later and saying "it makes no sense to have it as it is now" looks like - well - an abuse of position.   Perhaps Norton Bridge was a sensible closure for the modern age - but I saw no fair test / evaluation of that prior to it being institutionally vandalised so even if it was the right decision, it still smells fishy to me.

Apologies for re-posting all the photos in my reply - it isn't obvious from the text that this will happen!

I have taken the liberty of snipping the re-post of all the pictures except the Norton Bridge one; not a problem for me / other admins or moderators as we are all very familiar with "Bulletin Board Markups", once we are aware that something was unintended.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2019, 11:35:51 »

This ship - which I have seen for many years when passing by - has always had me wondering.   The location is known as Llanerch-y-Mor and it's a former Irish Sea ferry - the Duke of Lancaster - which has been there for a number of decades (yes, decades).  A couple of links I found when searching:
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/duke-lancaster-gets-mystery-black-12895861
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45626924

There's a bit more on Wikipedia too. Apparently the interior is in good condition. It also featured on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s Coast in 2011.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSS_Duke_of_Lancaster_(1955)

Edit - tuned the link - GrahamE
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 12:34:48 by grahame » Logged
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2019, 12:21:43 »

With 24 hours up, I think 5 is the Runcorn viaduct.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2019, 12:27:49 »

Is 12 Acton?

So ... which might it be?   Yes, I know it's quite a tricky one!

Westbury.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2019, 12:37:05 »

With 24 hours up, I think 5 is the Runcorn viaduct.

Sorry - it isn't (good guess though - I did pass over that Viaduct too during the month)

Westbury.

Yes

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2019, 12:39:59 »

14 gone, 6 to go .... still the odd easy one, but most are now tricky!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: