Delayed
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 19:05:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[270] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[87] "Mayflower"
[77] You see all sorts on the bus.
[49] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line
[41] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[38] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Another 10 years and would it still be with us??  (Read 6000 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 04, 2019, 21:08:45 »

Inspired by a post in the thread about Bourne End ... which lines / stations that were lost toward the end of the Beeching era (or more recently) would still be with us if they had only survived a further 10 years?   Unscientific, seeking opinions / views ...

I believe the real reason was BR (British Rail(ways)) requested funding from the Dept of Transport to fund the staffing of the 5 level crossings between Bourne End and High Wycombe ...

I do feel if the line had survived 5 to 10 years longer it would still be operating today

"If it had survived to [column 1] would the station at [column 2] still be served by main network trains to this day?"

1986 Alston
2029 Angel Road
1996 Balloch Pier
1975 Black Dog Halt
1986 Black Rock Halt
1985 Bridport
1980 Caerau
1993 Clayton West
1994 Gogarth
1979 Hunstanton
1980 Ilfracombe
1979 Leven
1980 Loudwater
1981 Minehead
1982 Okehampton
2004 Ongar
1977 Padstow
2003 Sinfin
2006 Watford West
1978 Winslow

In each case, I have added ten years to the date of the last BR/LT passenger train

Edit to add a few more ideas - nothing on the TV tonight! ...
2000 Holborn Viaduct
1996 Broad Street
2004 Dover Marine
1978 Sully
1993 Kilmacolm
1980 Gorleston-on-Sea
1974 Portishead
1978 Tavistock North
1979 Isfield
1976 Devizes
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 21:36:21 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 21:21:03 »

I definitely think the Bridport branch would have survived, although clearly trains would have had to continue beyond Maiden Newton to Weymouth.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 21:35:37 »

2006 Croxley Green

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 21:37:21 »

2006 Croxley Green

Indeed - with Watford West  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 21:49:35 »

Could add one of the Marlborough's 1971. Is it possible the Bedwyn train could have ended it's journey here?
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 23:39:05 »

..and Abingdon and Wallingford which closed to passengers in 1959 and 1963, but the track was not lifted for many years (1984 in the case of Abingdon). Both might now be viable destinations or feeders into Thames Valley services into Reading and London.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 07:01:16 »

I suppose I'm looking to the era of the Speller Act (1981) which allowed for experimental re-openings in my initial question - so to late closures in the decade before that.  Had earlier closures not happened - I'm noting lines to places like Westerham, Hawkhurst, Buntingford and Maldon as well as Wallingford, Marlborough and Abingdon - the places served would very likely have grown as commuter towns due to the continued presence of passenger trains, and I suspect many of them may be with us today.  But I can't see lines like Staines West, 2nd & 3rd Uxbridge, 2nd Maldon,  2nd Marlborough or Gravesend West having survived to the modern age.   I am, of course, being a dangerous armchair commentator on each of those listed - no risk in my opinion as they're all long gone and today would be a new case rather than a historic speculation

Looking to the current and next era Grin - don't forget Meet the Manager at 17:00 today (5.11.2019) - http://www.passenger.chat/b48

Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 09:20:14 »

Don't forget Radstock (possibly one of the two only) and (perhaps) East Brixton.
I rather think Broad St and Holborn Viaduct would not have survived,fortunately now replaced by better facilities.
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 20:34:16 »

Don't forget Radstock (possibly one of the two only) and (perhaps) East Brixton.
I rather think Broad St and Holborn Viaduct would not have survived,fortunately now replaced by better facilities.

In effect, Holborn Viaduct did survive - it lasted until the Snow Hill re-opening, and St Paul's Thameslink (aka City Thameslink) replaced it.

How about the Waverley Route, benefiting from electrification to Carlisle?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 20:58:29 »

How about the Waverley Route, benefiting from electrification to Carlisle

I came up with these extra ones after I posted my initial 30 - with "*" alongside those that, with an extra 10 years, would have survived until the time of the Speller act - which as I understand it was something of an admission that perhaps closures had gone too far.
* 1982 Swanage
* 1983 Itchen Abbas
1976 Marchwood
1979 Melrose
* 2002 Tilbury Riverside

Straying onto VERY dangerous territory, I have taken my initial 30 and I suggest that this half of them would be the most likely still to be with us today had they made another 10 years in the first place:
* 1986 Black Rock Halt * 1985 Bridport 1979 Hunstanton 1980 Ilfracombe 1979 Leven 1980 Loudwater * 1981 Minehead * 1982 Okehampton * 2004 Ongar 1978 Winslow 1980 Gorleston-on-Sea 1974 Portishead 1978 Tavistock North 1979 Isfield Station 1976 Devizes

Unlikely:
1975 Black Dog Halt * 1994 Gogarth 1977 Padstow 1978 Sully 1980 Caerau * 2006 Watford West

Improbable, perhaps to put it mildly
* 1993 Kilmacolm * 1986 Alston * 1993 Clayton West * 2029 Angel Road 1996 Broad Street * 2000 Holborn Viaduct * 1996 Balloch Pier * 2003 Sinfin * 2004 Dover Marine

From my armchair, educated in some cases guesses in others - happy to chat about individual cases. Whether specific ones of these would have survived given 10 more years is (IMHO (in my humble opinion)) absolutely no indication of a case for reopening or not these days.

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 21:37:22 »

I'm not sure Kilmacolm is "unlikely", if you think of it as the service that was withdrawn along the Paisley Canal loop.  Most of the line reopened some years later, and is now electrified, with only a short part of the loop and the short branch itself lost.  So I reckon another 10 years and it would have been saved and all been electrified.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 21:54:39 »

I'm not sure Kilmacolm is "unlikely", if you think of it as the service that was withdrawn along the Paisley Canal loop.  Most of the line reopened some years later, and is now electrified, with only a short part of the loop and the short branch itself lost.  So I reckon another 10 years and it would have been saved and all been electrified.

Perhaps I'm coloured by a single visit during the period it was the end of the line (boat trains to Greenock having ceased) - coming out from Glasgow in the a.m. peak, quiet as one would expect - but the same on the way back in too, still in the peak, as far as the main line.   Kilmacolm has a population of around 4,000 ... but perhaps if it had blossomed because of the commute opportunities, it would still be with us - who knows?

Populations and catchements are odd things.  Gunnislake is only a bit bigger than Kilmacolm, Pilining only a bit smaller.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 19:51:52 »

2004 Ongar

From Essex Live

The lost Essex town 'left behind' since its London Underground station was closed

Those who live there feel it's never been the same since it closed

The last tube to ever leave Ongar Underground station rolled away to London on September 30, 1994, taking with it the town's only easy link to the capital.

No longer could Ongar residents easily commute into the city to work or pop on a train into town on the weekend to enjoy the city's West End theatres and restaurants.

Whatever the immediate finances of the line, the social and wider economic effects are still felt 25 years later. 

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 20:02:03 »

But always remember that had there been enough bums on seats then LT wouldn't have withdrawm the service in the first place.

Also remember that the M11 and M25 had been built by 1994 so these too may have had a detrimental affect on passenger numbers.

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 08:19:05 »

Reading ‘ The Regional Railways Story’ by Gordon Pettit and Nicholas Comfort, I came across this table relating to proposed closures in 1979. The source came from ‘Holding the Line’ by Faulkner and Austin. The report drawn up by the BRB(resolve) was leaked to the press and involved closure of 900 route miles of line.

Regarding the Bridport Branch, I am not sure that it might have survived.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: